Kraton 4s - diff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barjab

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
Hello,

Yesterday I managed to repair my Kraton 4s rear differential. I replaced stripped AR310873 with new one ARA311031. I also changed two bearings for new ones. Now diff is workin really tight with some "clicking" (i used graphite lube). Is that supposed to be untill parts will fit together?

Greetings

Check you haven’t over tightened the diff yokes, is it only the input gear you have replaced ?

Yep it was only input gear + 2 bearings that are new.

With the new crown wouldn't it be even tighter then now? Or the new parts (ARA311031) are diffrent then older ones (AR310873)?

With the new crown wouldn't it be even tighter then now? Or the new parts (ARA311031) are diffrent then older ones (AR310873)?

Only if you put the ring gear in the wrong side of the yoke case.. they only go one way..

Tooth deformation is inevitable when the mating gear starts to strip, especially on composite gears..that's why it's imperative to change both.. the old ring gear (crown) will smoke a new pinion (input) gear in very short order...

Pay very close attention to the yokes as well.. if the pinion failed due to heat soak from the slipper the yokes are most likely deformed...
As a side note, make sure your bearing is seated fully against the land on the backside of the pinion (input) gear.. that can cause binding issues as well..

Only if you put the ring gear in the wrong side of the yoke case.. they only go one way..

Tooth deformation is inevitable when the mating gear starts to strip, especially on composite gears..that's why it's imperative to change both.. the old ring gear (crown) will smoke a new pinion (input) gear in very short order...

Pay very close attention to the yokes as well.. if the pinion failed due to heat soak from the slipper the yokes are most likely deformed...
As a side note, make sure your bearing is seated fully against the land on the backside of the pinion (input) gear.. that can cause binding issues as well..
So what your saying is that if you strip out your input gear, you need to replace your diff case as well? Even if the diff case is fine?

TYVM. As for the yokes I am aware of that (now it is the temporary solution). I am waiting for the hot racing replacement (ATF11Y02) atm - is it the best choice for yokes for now?

So what your saying is that if you strip out your input gear, you need to replace your diff case as well? Even if the diff case is fine?

No, only if the failure was due to heat soak from the slipper.. if it slips a bunch it will create enough heat to soften the yokes.. once they are soft the pinion will just walk around, causing it to strip.. happens very often...

You would see the yoke melted around the input bearing area if that were the case..👍
TYVM. As for the yokes I am aware of that (now it is the temporary solution). I am waiting for the hot racing replacement (ATF11Y02) atm - is it the best choice for yokes for now?

The aluminum yokes work well, but I've never used them.. alot of people swear by them.. but if things are setup proper the plastic yokes work just fine.. I've never, in years had a yoke failure... I've also only had one rear diff die in my typhon due to a bearing failure.. setup and shimming is key to longevity...👍

I have a 4s Kraton, outcast, 3s typhon and granite... Pretty much every one is setup different on the diffs.. some have shims on the ring side, some on the cup side, also varying thickness shims.. some .2 some .1.. this shows there is varying tolerance in the yokes..

Last edited:

Recently I've replaced my sentons diffs pinion and ring gear also the yokes.. Placed the shim in the right side. Still those diffs were really tight and I could hardly move it by hand. Run it for a while and I thought it would fix the problem. Ended up stripping it in a month 😭 Don't know what the problem was. Going with an aluminum one this time

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back