Kraton Kraton 4S is a rollercoaster of hate/like.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC37NNA6TVkJuhgO70yJ6pAw

Sadly I'm behind on my bicketybam video watching, doesn't help that Youtube notifies me 3 days after he posts a video..... for some reason it is just him, everyone else it is instant.

YouTube figures out how we vote and then stifles our content. No wonder @bicketybam sends late notifications.... he's probably had a flag in his videos. rofl!

I wore uniforms throughout schooling and got whooped by nuns and brothers regularly. My parents told them to paddle my ass if I got out of line. One of the best things my parents have done to set me up for the future.

The problem is prices are already up by 50 bucks this year compared to last year. If they use a better radio expect to see prices around 600. Although, by the time you buy a Tactic you're into it that much anyway.
Exactly!

i dunno, as customers I feel we should “teach” Horizon by replacing those bad radios with a competitor brand, buying higher end Spektrum just gives them the incentive to do that more.
And that is exactly what I'm going to do. With 4 STX2s and a DX3R, I will never buy a Spectrum radio ever again!!

I did not mind the stock radio it was "okay" i wanted a gyro and bought a 6channel radio from banggood with a gyro for 25$ and works great lol feels 5 times better than the stx2 radio
For me spectrum is expensive there is a lot more choices for cheaper alternatives out there

I did not mind the stock radio it was "okay" i wanted a gyro and bought a 6channel radio from banggood with a gyro for 25$ and works great lol feels 5 times better than the stx2 radio
For me spectrum is expensive there is a lot more choices for cheaper alternatives out there
Is it the dumboRC x6 radio that you got?

And here I thought you were going to school dressed like Angus Young.
Me too lol
i dunno, as customers I feel we should “teach” Horizon by replacing those bad radios with a competitor brand, buying higher end Spektrum just gives them the incentive to do that more.
I feel that this is Horizons incentive with the STX2. They include a Meh radio system in hopes that we the users will upgrade it to the higher end Spektrum stuff. But like someone else mentioned it just gives us a bad taste for Spektrum and makes us look into other brands.

I will say the only thing I don't like about my Kraton 6s is the STX2 radio that came with it. It almost feels dangerous to use it! I want to get a Tactic to replace it ASAP.
Sounds like a visit to JennysRC is where you can find the TTX300 radio and reciever if any are still floating around. Tactic is out of production if I am correct.
You know it's bad when people are clamoring for the Tactic. Not that the Tactic is bad. It's just good.
The TTX300 was dependable, great electronics, for a budget RTR radio set. It spoiled us.

Last edited:
You are absolutely right. This in unacceptable. I don't have experience with those new radios, but this is not the first time i'm hearing bad things about them. The damage it does to the brand must be huge.

I would contact Horizon Hobby, i've heard that people got replacements that worked for them. Or i'll consider an after market radio, it is such an upgrade in quality, and it doesn't cost much (you can get a decent one for 35$)
I wouldn't even want another StX2 under warranty. Not. Just upgrade on your own to something that's in your budget. The StX2 is so bad that anything else brand wise would be so much better.

I wouldn't even want another StX2 under warranty. Not. Just upgrade on your own to something that's in your budget. The StX2 is so bad that anything else brand wise would be so much better.
Dude even an og Flysky FSGT2 would be better than the STX2.

Skip buying a new RC one month and get a decent radio that can handle multiple cars. Don't be cheap and spend about 100-200 bucks, then you don't have to worry about what comes in a RTR, most all are crap anyway because that's what makes sense for the companies to do. But if anyone finds a RTR with a $200 radio make sure to let me know.

Sounds like a visit to JennysRC is where you can find the TTX300 radio and reciever if any are still floating around. Tactic is out of production if I am correct.

The TTX300 was dependable, great electronics, for a budget RTR radio set. It spoiled us.
I'm not spoiled, I only have 25 of them & 4 NIB :ROFLMAO: While I've only had to trash 2 STX2s. There are too many good cheap radios out there to even bother looking at that junk.

And that is exactly what I'm going to do. With 4 STX2s and a DX3R, I will never buy a Spectrum radio ever again!!
When you got your RTR's you didn't get a choice of radio, because you weren't buying THE radio alone. It was a package. And you got a bad taste for Spektrum none the less. I agree.
Until you "BUY" a Spektrum radio "a la carte", you won't understand and see the difference in quality. I am not saying you should buy Spektrum... any other brand radio set will be leap years ahead of the STX2 in quality and technology.
What I am saying, is that you really Never purchased a Spektrum radio. To say you will never buy a Spektrum "again" is not accurate. You never Bought one before. I have had Spektrum for years now. I have a track record to go by. Then I got an STX2 with my V4 Kraton and 10 minutes of use convinced me it was pure unadulterated junk not worthy of controlling any rig whatsoever. I tossed it after running my Crawler with it. It is useless. I would be gun shy too if the STX2 was my first experience with Spektrum. Horizon shot themselves in the foot with that radio.
The DX5C radio with the standard non-Gyro reciever is approx. $140.00. With 20 model memory and numerous digital display controls. It is flawless. But you can get much cheaper brand radios that will suit your needs too. Your own budget will dictate that.
Again, I don't blame you or anyone else for ditching the Spektrum brand if the STX2 was your first experience with Spektrum.
The STX2 is THAT bad of a radio!
The newcomer may not see that. Once the hobby matures for them, they get it.
Anyone who ever had a "real" radio(s) for years can see what I mean.

When you got your RTR's you didn't get a choice of radio, because you weren't buying THE radio alone. It was a package. And you got a bad taste for Spektrum none the less. I agree.
Until you "BUY" a Spektrum radio "a la carte", you won't understand and see the difference in quality. I am not saying you should buy Spektrum... any other brand radio set will be leap years ahead of the STX2 in quality and technology.
What I am saying, is that you really Never purchased a Spektrum radio. To say you will never buy a Spektrum "again" is not accurate. You never Bought one before. I have had Spektrum for years now. I have a track record to go by. Then I got an STX2 with my V4 Kraton and 10 minutes of use convinced me it was pure unadulterated junk not worthy of controlling any rig whatsoever. I tossed it after running my Crawler with it. It is useless. I would be gun shy too if the STX2 was my first experience with Spektrum. Horizon shot themselves in the foot with that radio.
The DX5C radio with the standard non-Gyro reciever is approx. $140.00. With 20 model memory and numerous digital display controls. It is flawless. But you can get much cheaper brand radios that will suit your needs too. Your own budget will dictate that.
Again, I don't blame you or anyone else for ditching the Spektrum brand if the STX2 was your first experience with Spektrum.
The STX2 is THAT bad of a radio!
The newcomer may not see that. Once the hobby matures for them, they get it.
Anyone who ever had a "real" radio(s) for years can see what I mean.
I still find it rather sad that Horizon has been using the STX2 for 2 years. I figured they would have at least fixed some of the issues with it by now. It's like no one from Horizon or Spektrum ever goes on the Ecx forums or Facebook pages or read reviews of their own products or something. ?‍♂️

I still find it rather sad that Horizon has been using the STX2 for 2 years. I figured they would have at least fixed some of the issues with it by now. It's like no one from Horizon or Spektrum ever goes on the Ecx forums or Facebook pages or read reviews of their own products or something. ?‍♂️
I feel Arrma, UK, should be guiding Horizon better with the radio problem if Arrma even has any say at all. STX2 was a mistake in judgement and can only hurt the Arrma brand. But Horizon will have the final say. They are the purse strings. Sometimes Horizon appears disconnected with their brands of products.
Arrma under Horizon Hobby, was able to improve to some extent their current 6S line and introduce the 4S line and the Speed run rigs. It was a given that Tactic radios went south along with Hobbico. The STX2 was a major cost cutting item so it was never a priority. The priority was improving on the actual models and diversifying/adding to its lineup.
So, henceforth, anyone buying an Arrma product, please don't judge an Arrma rig by its lame radio.
Just include an inexpensive upgrade radio, along with your list of battery charger and set of Lipo's that you need too buy in addition .
Complaining about the STX2 will not solve the problem. It seems here to stay as part of Horizon RTR kits.

Last edited:
I just bought another one of these as a prime deal. It made programming the brake servo in my 5T E-conversion a piece of cake. The receivers are dirt cheap as it can be used with multiple models & it has 600M range - yeah 600M, perfect for speedruns I guess. My only gripe with it is that I bump the channel switches sometimes when turning but other than that, it's a awesome radio.

I just bought another one of these as a prime deal. It made programming the brake servo in my 5T E-conversion a piece of cake. The receivers are dirt cheap as it can be used with multiple models & it has 600M range - yeah 600M, perfect for speedruns I guess. My only gripe with it is that I bump the channel switches sometimes when turning but other than that, it's a awesome radio.
Appears to be some good bang for the buck!(y) High speed running requires dependable control and long range for safety. Safety is so important in this hobby running 25 volt Lipo's in 15 pound rigs approaching 70+Mph. Its all about the radio.

My .02.

In general, I prefer the Flysky FS-GT5 over the RC6GS. The RC6GS is good for crawlers, and I think it's better for that, but the Flysky is head and shoulders above it in terms of feel and control for bashing.

I also think the STX2 problem is a bit overstated. I have TONS of radios (I probably have about 10 reviews of aftermarket radios on my channel), and yes, it's not good, but for an RTR it's about par. The problem is that it's being compared to the previous radio, which WAS good. It's like drinking wine. You never really want to drink a good bottle of wine, because then all those $20 bottles you usually drink start tasting like crap.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back