Kraton Kraton 4s pinion gear change to 15 T

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
Hi , I have changed my pinion gear from the stock 13T to a 15T pinion. Put locktite on the screw and all that but now the car is rattleing louder is that right ? Or is a sound changing normal when changing to another gear ?

Excessive rattling sound would not be normal. I'm guessing your pinion has come loose. It really has to be screwed in tight. I had a pinion coming loose once. I thought it was screwed down tight, but the caked on loc-tite prevented it from screwing all the way down. Check the pinion. If it's loose, clean off the grub screw. Send it through the pinion without mounting it on the motor shaft. Make sure it's really screwing in all the way through with no resistance. Then screw it down with loc-tite it onto the motor shaft. Use a good hex driver, like I said, it really has to be tight.

As @GRC said pinion might have came loose, also I'd check the mesh might not be tight enough and will cause pinion to skip teeth on spur.

I put locktite on it and checked now if it came loose ,but it did not. Pinion teeth skipping is not possible because I don't have the adjustable motor Mount, an the preadjusted has predrilled holes for the mounting screws.

As @GRC said pinion might have came loose, also I'd check the mesh might not be tight enough and will cause pinion to skip teeth on spur.
I read an article where someone said his Spur gear is wobbling , and mine is now too but that has to be same with the old pinion? And there it was quite.

Well, none of them are ever quiet per say.. they are metal gears with loose mesh, that echo the magnet pulls audibly...

If it is louder than before you need to realize that you put a new, non worn pinion on a gear that is used and lapped into the old pinion.. it will take some runs to jive again... ?

If the bearings in the motor module that carry the slipper hubs are good, and your motor bearings are good, your all set, sit back, rip the heck out of it and as all that dirt and dust laps the new gear it should all settle back to normal..?

I rebuild my Slipper Clutch and reinstalled it but it sounds still the same ,it is rattling. My Question now is should i try if the sound goes away with the old pinion gear ? But i think it should work also with the new 15T quiet. I made a video of the sound maybe that helps someone to analyse whats wrong. Here is the Video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17aUx3MTZYLL1czgvj10KzEHjeYmGopLm/view?usp=drivesdk

Excessive rattling sound would not be normal. I'm guessing your pinion has come loose. It really has to be screwed in tight. I had a pinion coming loose once. I thought it was screwed down tight, but the caked on loc-tite prevented it from screwing all the way down. Check the pinion. If it's loose, clean off the grub screw. Send it through the pinion without mounting it on the motor shaft. Make sure it's really screwing in all the way through with no resistance. Then screw it down with loc-tite it onto the motor shaft. Use a good hex driver, like I said, it really has to be tight.
I rebuild my Slipper Clutch and reinstalled it but it sounds still the same ,it is rattling. My Question now is should i try if the sound goes away with the old pinion gear ? But i think it should work also with the new 15T quiet. I made a video of the sound maybe that helps someone to analyse whats wrong. Here is the Video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17aUx3MTZYLL1czgvj10KzEHjeYmGopLm/view?usp=drivesdk

Hard to tell from the video. It's a bit noisy, but I don't hear a loose pinion or anything obviously wrong. Check all bearings and it may just need to be broken in as Camaroboy said.

Show us your gearmesh a too close gearmesh even if you still hear the little clicking noise doesn't mean the mesh is correct.my kraton 4s on 16t with a wrecked spur and a robinson racing 15t its quiet like a 3s truck
By watching your vdieo seems like a loose gearmesh but show us a picture of both gears

Show us your gearmesh a too close gearmesh even if you still hear the little clicking noise doesn't mean the mesh is correct.my kraton 4s on 16t with a wrecked spur and a robinson racing 15t its quiet like a 3s truck
By watching your vdieo seems like a loose gearmesh but show us a picture of both gears
Can you make a close up video or a driving video from your car to show me how it should sound? I will make a picuture of my gears but the kraton 4s has a non adjustable Motor Mount so the gearmesh ist preset with the holes or not ? I mounted the 15T onto the Motorput the Screws in the 15 T Holes and thats it.

Hard to tell from the video. It's a bit noisy, but I don't hear a loose pinion or anything obviously wrong. Check all bearings and it may just need to be broken in as Camaroboy said.
I drove the car now 3 or 4 Times ,every time one Full battery, but the sound is still there , i think it has nothing to do with breaking the new Pinion in
I made another Video while driving, it drives normal but the rattling is very loud i do not think thats healthy. Here is the video:https://drive.google.com/file/d/19Brr05Zj9zGaa7gwSQtf3ResGuUpMfC_/view?usp=drivesdk

I drove the car now 3 or 4 Times ,every time one Full battery, but the sound is still there , i think it has nothing to do with breaking the new Pinion in
I made another Video while driving, it drives normal but the rattling is very loud i do not think thats healthy. Here is the video:https://drive.google.com/file/d/19Brr05Zj9zGaa7gwSQtf3ResGuUpMfC_/view?usp=drivesdk

The clicking sounds like it is happening at the same point in every revolution of the pinion or spur. If you take the power module out, you can wiggle the spur from the bottom opening. I would try wiggling the spur at every point for a full revolution to see if the mesh seems tighter in one spot. You might have something bent or a gear that is uneven.

The clicking sounds like it is happening at the same point in every revolution of the pinion or spur. If you take the power module out, you can wiggle the spur from the bottom opening. I would try wiggling the spur at every point for a full revolution to see if the mesh seems tighter in one spot. You might have something bent or a gear that is uneven.
That sounds really logic, i will check that. But i opened the powermodule and mentioned that the spur bearing is not turning well i think its broken, can that also be a reason for the sound?

If the spur is not turning well, it can definitely be causing problems. You could still have something bent or uneven that is what caused the damage to the bearings. I would get the bearings fixed asap, and double check the mesh for tight spots. The bearings on your input gear will probably be the next thing to get taken out followed by your rear differential.

It's incredibly close to the sound I heard when my motor plate was bent, maybe have a look at that as well.
Oh man you were right my motor plate is bent ,i would never have thought that this is the reason. Should i try to bend ist back or directly buy a new one ? https://drive.google.com/file/d/19JLWOY8nhEX58yQrypBxNu0_-5_B3ZmK/view?usp=drivesdk
But another weird thing is that my spur gear wobbles a bit it looks like a production mistake,it does not have the same amount of material on all sides, try to show it in a video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19LaUcCMYBreC9neoCtY5bjvLSRCqqjM7/view?usp=drivesdk

Oh man you were right my motor plate is bent ,i would never have thought that this is the reason. Should i try to bend ist back or directly buy a new one ? https://drive.google.com/file/d/19JLWOY8nhEX58yQrypBxNu0_-5_B3ZmK/view?usp=drivesdk
But another weird thing is that my spur gear wobbles a bit it looks like a production mistake,it does not have the same amount of material on all sides, try to show it in a video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19LaUcCMYBreC9neoCtY5bjvLSRCqqjM7/view?usp=drivesdk

Nah, get a rubber hammer and start bashing it flat. And that spur is very wobbly! :LOL: I think you found the issues!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back