Kraton Kraton 4s Quick Comparison

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyZuC

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Nero
  8. Outcast 6s
  9. Senton 6s
I noticed that my new Kraton was similar in size to my Tekno MT410. (This is not a comparison of performance, but a comparison of form factor.)
20190509_062527.jpg

Wheel base is almost the same with the Kraton being a little longer, but not by much.

20190509_062835.jpg

The width of the MT410 is about 1/2 inch longer on each side. It would be about an inch longer on each side if I had the stock Kraton wheels installed instead of the shockwaves.

20190509_062653.jpg

20190509_062711.jpg

Although the Kraton has more plastic, it's only a pound lighter than the MT410. My MT410 has a few M2C brace upgrades and a 2000KV 1/8 scale system which also adds weight. Overall these platforms are similar in size and weight. Performance over time has yet to be determined. The MT410 is well known for its durability, but that comes at a cost.

Can the Kraton 4S provide similar durability at a 1/3 of the cost? We'll see.

I was always under the impression that the Tekno was the same size as the Outcast/Notorious 6s.
The Tekno is smaller and much lighter than the Outcast/Notorious 6s. That's why it performs so well on 4s and is a complete maniac on 6s.

The Tekno is smaller and much lighter than the Outcast/Notorious 6s. That's why it performs so well on 4s and is a complete maniac on 6s.
Cool. Didn't know that. I've read comparisons between it and the Kraton which now makes even less sense considering how much bigger the Kraton is over the Outcast. I'd love yo hear your thoughts regarding the Kraton 4s once you get some time in with it. Watch those A-arms.

2 more comparisons. First Kraton and Emaxx.
20190509_072343.jpg

Emaxx is 12 year old brushless technology. It's almost the same weight as the Kraton, has the same width and a longer wheel base. It also has a slipper clutch like the Kraton. It works with 4s, but I'm always scared of diff failure. Its durability history is less than desirable in stock form. I've broken almost every part on the Emaxx. This 4s Kraton is better in every way than any upgraded Emaxx.

Last Kraton and Savage Flux.
20190509_072306.jpg

The 4s Kraton is shorter in width and wheel base compared to the Savage. It is also 4 pounds lighter than the savage. This savage has been upgraded over a 14 yr period. Started as a savage x, then savage 4.6, then kershawn brushless, then stock flux and now center diff, bomb proof diff, 5mm TVP monster. Before the center diff mod, I only ran the savage on 4s. Now I can actually run it on 6s without worrying about the diffs exploding. Who knows if the Kraton 4s will become a cult favorite like the Savage, but its intial performance is noteworthy.

I was always under the impression that the Tekno was the same size as the Outcast/Notorious 6s.
It basically is the same as the Oucast/Notorious. The Kraton 4s has pretty much the same dimensions as both of them! But yeah the MT410 doesn't really need 6S since it is so much lighter.

Tekno MT410
Length: 530mm
Wheelbase: 323-335mm
Width: 420mm
Weight: ~3850g (8.3lb) out of the box RTR (RTR weight equipped w/ Tekin RX8, 2200kv truggy motor, 700g battery, rx, etc)

Arrma Outcast 6S
LENGTH: 540mm / 21.26"
WHEELBASE: 328mm / 12.91"
FRONT WIDTH: 461mm / 18.15"
HEIGHT: 230mm / 9.06"
WEIGHT (NO BATTERY): 5.17kg / 11lbs 6oz

Arrma Kraton 4S
LENGTH: 528mm / 20.79"
WHEELBASE: 327mm / 12.87"
FRONT WIDTH: 395mm / 15.55"
HEIGHT: 192mm / 7.56"
WEIGHT (NO BATTERY): 3.63kg / 8lbs

I'm received the Typhon 6s aluminum big bore shocks thinking they were an exact replacement for the Kraton 4s, but they are somewhat different.
20190509_115453.jpg

In the lower left you'll see the Kraton shocks are pressed fit to the eyelet. I didn't know this and I was trying to retain the shock guard with the conversion. The typhon shocks are also shorter which isn't a big deal. I can make up the difference with adjustments. Also notice in the upper right corner the Kraton shock cap eyelet is wider than the typhon. 3 washers or nitro tubing will fill the gap.

Kinda surprised the shocks were pressed fit.

I'm received the Typhon 6s aluminum big bore shocks thinking they were an exact replacement for the Kraton 4s, but they are somewhat different.View attachment 37722
In the lower left you'll see the Kraton shocks are pressed fit to the eyelet. I didn't know this and I was trying to retain the shock guard with the conversion. The typhon shocks are also shorter which isn't a big deal. I can make up the difference with adjustments. Also notice in the upper right corner the Kraton shock cap eyelet is wider than the typhon. 3 washers or nitro tubing will fill the gap.

Kinda surprised the shocks were pressed fit.
Are they the v3 typhon shocks, the v4 has the metal shock caps(I'm assuming these are from a 6s typhon)?

Are they the v3 typhon shocks, the v4 has the metal shock caps(I'm assuming these are from a 6s typhon)?
These are the v3 shocks. Is there a length difference between the v3 and v4?

These are the v3 shocks. Is there a length difference between the v3 and v4?
Nope, all same part numbers except for the caps & adjustment collars which are the v3/v4 Kraton/Out/Tal metal parts. The lengths shouldn't make that much of a difference but the caps will get wrecked under the stress of the large tires. I would get the Kraton v3/v4 caps. It'll be one less thing to break.

Nope, all same part numbers except for the caps & adjustment collars which are the v3/v4 Kraton/Out/Tal metal parts. The lengths shouldn't make that much of a difference but the caps will get wrecked under the stress of the large tires. I would get the Kraton v3/v4 caps. It'll be one less thing to break.
I never changed the caps on the ones I use for my Granite and BRCC. No issues at all. Maybe I've been lucky!

I never changed the caps on the ones I use for my Granite and BRCC. No issues at all. Maybe I've been lucky!
They're only 2.8s on shorter arms, maybe that's not enough stress. I did pop 3 out of 4 on my first Typhon bash, but that was on 6s.

I've run about (4) SMC 4S lipos in the Kraton and the performance has been great. Well balanced, but I couldn't stop thinking about how it would perform with the blx185 system in it.

20190512_083221.jpg

20190512_083254.jpg

Installed the system last night along with the 15T pinion. Plenty of room with no clearance issues. It adds a little weight(not sure how much). Haven't had a chance to test it outside. My main reason for trying this is to avoid any heat issues when running in taller grass during hot days. I'm not looking for additional speed or running 6s. I'm just looking for the most efficient system in a 9lb truck running 4s and I had the blx185 stored away in a box.

I've run about (4) SMC 4S lipos in the Kraton and the performance has been great. Well balanced, but I couldn't stop thinking about how it would perform with the blx185 system in it.

View attachment 38048
View attachment 38049

Installed the system last night along with the 15T pinion. Plenty of room with no clearance issues. It adds a little weight(not sure how much). Haven't had a chance to test it outside. My main reason for trying this is to avoid any heat issues when running in taller grass during hot days. I'm not looking for additional speed or running 6s. I'm just looking for the most efficient system in a 9lb truck running 4s and I had the blx185 stored away in a box.
Looking at that makes me really wish this platform had some decent driveshafts & metal diffs. I know the upgrade costs will have it way over 6s territory but still, it would be insane.

I look at this as a project and not validation of stock parts. If the diffs and axles hold up that's a plus, but eventually MIPS will make axles and HR or M2C will have a diff upgrade. If it fails, I'll strip the electronics and sell it as a roller or shelve it and look for the next interesting platform. This is what happens when I'm bored and it's been raining a month in New England.

Arrma already has the upgrades planned for this line. The cup for the metal diff ring is already available, but they keep pushing back the ring & pinion - over a year now. The driveshafts are all listed too. No need to deal with HR's garbage. I wouldn't mind MIPs though. At this point, I don't care when they release it, it's a given that I'll get a set. If you plan on running 4s with that setup, keep the slipper a half turn looser than normal, like it is out the box. Otherwise the driveshafts will blow within a few trigger pulls. The diffs won't have a chance to break.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back