Kraton Kraton 4S Rear End Melted Together

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamj804

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Outcast 4s
  6. Senton 6s
  7. Senton 3s
  8. Typhon 6s
  9. Typhon 3s
The center driveshaft melted on to the slipper, the back part of the spur assembly melted to the rear half of the motor mount, diff housing holders melted where the second bearing on the input gear sits, that bearing exploded and melted to the input gear shaft. I can not get the slipper and spur off, the screw will not come out.

What do you think caused this?

Last edited:
The bearing, metal on metal rubbing together creates a lot of heat.

The bearing, metal on metal rubbing together creates a lot of heat.
Thanks. I was thinking that too. If I can’t get the slipper/spur apart the repair is going to be costly. I feel like even if I was going to save the spur I will have to sacrifice the slipper and cut it out. Do you think they will cover it under the warranty?

Last edited:
Thanks. I was thinking that too. If I can’t get the slipper/spur apart the repair is going to be costly. I feel like even if I was going to see the spur I will have to sacrifice the slipper and cut it out. Do you think they will cover it under the warranty?
Can't hurt to try.

This I a common problem I’ve been seeing on the 4s trucks. Worse in the kraton than the outcast. These trucks ask way too much of the slippers in these trucks and there’s no good way to cool them off fast enough so they melt everything around them. The longer wheelbase of the kraton makes it harder to do wheelies so people ignore throttle control (cause it’s funny right we’re all guilty of it) making more heat. Cheap stock shielded bearings don’t help. I hope to see arrma release the metal gears for the mega-4s lineup that’s been on their website since last year. They got the driveshafts out and they look good. The slippers kinda let these trucks down but it’ll be difficult to redesign the slipper without some major changes to the power module which is what arrma is trying to avoid (to make parts interchangeability easy). I like where they are going so far though.

not much help but when it’s wining more than it’s speeding up it probably time to shut it down and reset the slipper.

This I a common problem I’ve been seeing on the 4s trucks. Worse in the kraton than the outcast. These trucks ask way too much of the slippers in these trucks and there’s no good way to cool them off fast enough so they melt everything around them. The longer wheelbase of the kraton makes it harder to do wheelies so people ignore throttle control (cause it’s funny right we’re all guilty of it) making more heat. Cheap stock shielded bearings don’t help. I hope to see arrma release the metal gears for the mega-4s lineup that’s been on their website since last year. They got the driveshafts out and they look good. The slippers kinda let these trucks down but it’ll be difficult to redesign the slipper without some major changes to the power module which is what arrma is trying to avoid (to make parts interchangeability easy). I like where they are going so far though.

not much help but when it’s wining more than it’s speeding up it probably time to shut it down and reset the slipper.
Yeah really needs a center diff.

Never burned s clutch even on my outcsst with the clutch loosened 2 turns lol it almost melted but didnt
If your clutch is loose and you ignore it and keep hammering the throttle it will overheat quick

Chatted with them online, sent receipt and pictures. They are shipping out close to $100 in parts today!
Gotta love a company that stands behind their products.

I finally got this back together. Still waiting on a 4S spur/slipper assembly that is on back order, but I built my own since I was able to salvage the spur gear. I will keep the assembly as back up when it comes in. With the newer versions parts, you can’t replace just one input gear because they don’t make the long one anymore. You have to get the two shorter ones as well as the new slipper clutch maintenance kit and the new motor mount for it all to work. New motor housing doesn’t slide in to place as easily as the original kind did. Maybe it’s an easier fit on the newer chassis. The new slipper set up uses that black nylon nut that comes in the new maintenance kit. This wasn’t used in the past, but is different as it has no red aluminum washer in it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back