Kraton Kraton 4s slipper clutch removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad48178

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
Good morning, so I’m a newb to the Arma line and I’m having the Kraton slipper clutch backing out issue. How do you remove the slipper clutch assembly? I’ve heard of some people finding oil on their disc and I just want to make sure everything is cool before I run it again. Thanks.

Remove the power module by the 1 screw on the bottom (it goes through the red battery strap hold down). Pull the red battery strap out this allows the power module to slide forward. You must lift up on the tab at the back of the motor in order for it to slide forward. Disconnect the wires. Take out the screws in the housing and then you have access to the slipper clutch assembly.

Remove the power module by the 1 screw on the bottom (it goes through the red battery strap hold down). Pull the red battery strap out this allows the power module to slide forward. You must lift up on the tab at the back of the motor in order for it to slide forward. Disconnect the wires. Take out the screws in the housing and then you have access to the slipper clutch assembly.
Awesome, thanks I appreciate it.

I got it apart and I think it got a little hot. When I was running it it was getting slower and I thought it was just the battery. Once I got up to it I could smell that it got hot but I didn’t think it got that hot. I guess being a brand new truck I wasn’t expecting the slipper clutch to burn up after four runs. Pretty disappointed that now I have to drop $70 on a brand new truck.

Attachments

• DBCA9A86-6DD8-4313-B36F-04602957C1C7.jpeg
    DBCA9A86-6DD8-4313-B36F-04602957C1C7.jpeg
    295.9 KB · Views: 113
  • E6DE4BAC-BABB-47BB-9B7F-7C3465294113.jpeg
    E6DE4BAC-BABB-47BB-9B7F-7C3465294113.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 107
  • A60054DB-4B03-460B-8DB5-B428555FD094.jpeg
    A60054DB-4B03-460B-8DB5-B428555FD094.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 95
Are you sure the slipper is bad? Or is it just the assembly housing? Might want to upgrade the bearings to rubber sealed while you’re at it. If you do want an entirely new slipper assembly, Jennys is way cheaper if you can catch them in stock.

https://jennysrc.com/search?q=arrma+4s+slipper&type=product

View attachment 43869

Here is a link to the motor mount from Jennys.

https://jennysrc.com/search?q=arrma+4s+motor+mount&type=product

View attachment 43870
Yeah the slipper is bad, mainly because I was trying to take it apart and the Allen head screw is seized and I ended up breaking the head off of it. Thanks for the links, I’ll definitely check it out. Everything got pretty hot too, so I feel like I should just replace everything. Better safe than sorry.

Yeah the slipper is bad, mainly because I was trying to take it apart and the Allen head screw is seized and I ended up breaking the head off of it. Thanks for the links, I’ll definitely check it out. Everything got pretty hot too, so I feel like I should just replace everything. Better safe than sorry.
You might be able to save the hub by drilling out the old screw. I did this myself and followed up with a tap to clean the threads. Worked ok. Use some lube when drilling like tap magic and go reallllly sloooooowww.

You might be able to save the hub by drilling out the old screw. I did this myself and followed up with a tap to clean the threads. Worked ok. Use some lube when drilling like tap magic and go reallllly sloooooowww.
Thanks, I’ll bring it to work on Monday and see if I can save it.

Thanks, I’ll bring it to work on Monday and see if I can save it.
Message horizon hobby they sended me a brend new slipper assembly because i had my slipper always backing out... but when i received the new slipper i sat down drowned all the slipper pieces on alchool and a lot of poop came out and now it doesn't backout anymore locktite doing is job finally
Like i said contact horizon hobby they knoe the slipper has a lot of defects and they will almost 100% send you a remplacement
It has a 2 year warrenty for stuff like this

Message horizon hobby they sended me a brend new slipper assembly because i had my slipper always backing out... but when i received the new slipper i sat down drowned all the slipper pieces on alchool and a lot of poop came out and now it doesn't backout anymore locktite doing is job finally
Like i said contact horizon hobby they knoe the slipper has a lot of defects and they will almost 100% send you a remplacement
It has a 2 year warrenty for stuff like this
Thanks, I sent them an email. Who knows how long before I here from them. When I get a new one I’ll clean and make sure it’s all good before I run it again. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Are you sure your bearings aren't seized? They last about 2 packs on dirt before they go bad. Change to rubber sealed.

I emailed Horizon and their sending me a replacement. Thanks everyone for the help.

Hi Brad,

I just picked up the Kraton 4s BXL as well and a few runs in I had the same exact issue down to the melted casing and torched slipper pads. The motor felt super hot as well right after the run so I hope everything is ok in there, was this your experience as well?

I emailed Arrma support last night, haven't put a warranty claim through yet. Any insight that might be helpful for when I do? Did you have to mail your slipper assembly in with the original purchase receipt and wait for them to review before they agreed to send you a whole new assembly? Finally, did replacing the full assembly fix your issue? Still going well weeks and many packs later?

I mainly drive in grass but am worried this all may have originated from a bearing issue so thinking about those sealed rubber bearing...
https://www.amazon.com/Arrma-Kraton-BLX-Sealed-Bearing/dp/B00SNCVII0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Brad,

I just picked up the Kraton 4s BXL as well and a few runs in I had the same exact issue down to the melted casing and torched slipper pad. The motor felt super hot as well right after the run so I hope everything is ok in there, was this your experience as well? I am having trouble taking the whole slipper assembly apart, the center screw is super tight/seized, did you have to do anything special to get yours apart?

I emailed Arrma support last night, haven't put a warranty claim through yet. Any insight that might be helpful for when I do? Did you have to mail your slipper assembly in with the original purchase receipt and wait for them to review before they agreed to send you a whole new assembly? Finally, did replacing the full assembly fix your issue? Still going well weeks and many packs later?

I mainly drive in grass but am worried this all may have originated from a bearing issue so thinking about those sealed rubber bearing...
https://www.amazon.com/Arrma-Kraton-BLX-Sealed-Bearing/dp/B00SNCVII0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Thanks!
View attachment 46332View attachment 46333View attachment 46334
Its normal our of the factory the screw is pretty well locktited in place try to tight it untight it until it comes ou don't force too much. And the case mekting is weird to me and the motor too my motor berely gets hot enough to be uncomftable to touch. Maybe you sliper was "too loose" causing over heating issue causing the melting point of the case
The link you used for the bearing Re for the kraton6s and not the 4s blx model

That’s two issues, loose slipper and bad bearings. Both are easy fixes and known issues.

Yea, maybe. I'm not sure how to tell if a bearing is bad or not. It's not like it's completely seized up or anything.

Yea, maybe. I'm not sure how to tell if a bearing is bad or not. It's not like it's completely seized up or anything.
Just experienced this today with my arrma kraton 4s sun gear bearing.. bassicly the bearing has a lot of play into it side to side. Killed my sun gear because of it i think it was like that for a really long time
Because i had a hard time getting my motor unit back in the hole. With the new bearings fited in immedietly

Its normal our of the factory the screw is pretty well locktited in place try to tight it untight it until it comes ou don't force too much. And the case mekting is weird to me and the motor too my motor berely gets hot enough to be uncomftable to touch. Maybe you sliper was "too loose" causing over heating issue causing the melting point of the case
The link you used for the bearing Re for the kraton6s and not the 4s blx model
They’ll send you an email asking for pictures of the damaged parts, receipt and model number. The process takes a few weeks also.
Hi Brad,

I just picked up the Kraton 4s BXL as well and a few runs in I had the same exact issue down to the melted casing and torched slipper pads. The motor felt super hot as well right after the run so I hope everything is ok in there, was this your experience as well?

Thanks!
View attachment 46360View attachment 46361
They will send you an email and you’ll have to send these pictures. A photo of the receipt as well as the model number. The whole process takes a few weeks but in the end they’ll send you a new slipper clutch and hoisting.

They’ll send you an email asking for pictures of the damaged parts, receipt and model number. The process takes a few weeks also.

They will send you an email and you’ll have to send these pictures. A photo of the receipt as well as the model number. The whole process takes a few weeks but in the end they’ll send you a new slipper clutch and hoisting.

Thanks Brad,

I actually received confirmation this morning that they would send replacement parts, no hassle at all! I wanted to ask if replacing the full slipper assembly fixed your issue and if its still going well many battery packs later. Also, once you replaced, what did you set the slipper to? The recommended 1.25 turns or less? I'm wondering if its best left alone so not to disturb the Loctite that it comes with?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back