Kraton Kraton 4s Spur/ Pinion rolling sound too loud (Compared to Outcast 4s)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Custnam

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
Hello again forum. I just finished working on my Kraton 4s and have a question. After getting the slipper all assembled, re-tightened with more thread lock I noticed it is very loud when rolling it. A lot louder than the Outcast 4s I have that is basically the exact same thing expect for the spur gear. The Outcast 4s is fully stock with stock Arrma spur and Arrma 15T pinion, and my Kraton 4s has the Hot Racing spur with the same 15T pinion. It reminds me of how loud all the 6s's were that I had. I redid the mesh several times and have it perfect, but its still very loud. Ive attached a zip file to extract of a recording to show you what I mean. The first sound is me rolling the Outcast 4s back and forth, then the 2nd is the Kraton 4s. Normal? Any ideas as to what to check? The diffs are perfect and turn nice and smooth so Im pretty sure its pinion and spur related. Thanks

Attachments

• Outcast vs Kraton sound (2).zip
    295.6 KB · Views: 100
File didnt work for me...
Double check the mesh?
If the Kraton HR spur is metal, and the OC is stock plastic spur , that answers your question. Metal pinion against a metal spur will be loud. Normal.
Otherwise I missed something here?:unsure:

File didnt work for me...
Double check the mesh?
If the Kraton HR spur is metal, and the OC is stock plastic spur , that answers your question. Metal pinion against a metal spur will be loud. Normal.
Otherwise I missed something here?:unsure:
Stock OC4S is a metal spur too. ??‍♂️

Ok both metal spurs...Yeah I wasn't too sure myself. I can only assume gear mesh and being a different gear. Gear pitch can vary ever so slightly with different brands. Just a thought. Both 15T pinions are stock. Perhaps there is more wear on one pinion over the other. Pinions and spurs break in to each other with use. Others may chime in with their ideas. I would think its strange also.

I find my HR metal spur gears louder as well. I've got them in both my 3s typhon and 3s granite. My firend has the arrma metal spur in his typhon 3s and its always been quieter. If you compare the Arrma metal spur to the metal hot racing spur, the HR spur is a lot wider compred to the arrma spur. Ive always put the louder noise down to the HR spurs having more surface area meshing to the pinion, hence making more noise. That is my theory anyway ?‍♂️

Ok both metal spurs...Yeah I wasn't too sure myself. I can only assume gear mesh and being a different gear. Gear pitch can vary ever so slightly with different brands. Just a thought. Both 15T pinions are stock. Perhaps there is more wear on one pinion over the other. Pinions and spurs break in to each other with use. Others may chime in with their ideas. I would think its strange also.

You are correct that the Outcasts 15T has a lot more use, and the Kraton 4s 15T is brand new. So that might be it.
I find my HR metal spur gears louder as well. I've got them in both my 3s typhon and 3s granite. My firend has the arrma metal spur in his typhon 3s and its always been quieter. If you compare the Arrma metal spur to the metal hot racing spur, the HR spur is a lot wider compred to the arrma spur. Ive always put the louder noise down to the HR spurs having more surface area meshing to the pinion, hence making more noise. That is my theory anyway ?‍♂️

I didnt notice and difference in the width of the actual teeth part. So Im guessing it might just be due to the difference in age and use of the pinions. Ill probably be running both later today and will get a better idea on the sound difference while running them. The Outcast is a friends (Use to be mine so I built it and do all the maintenance).

By the way did the sound file work for others? And thanks for all the replies. This is one of the main reasons I came back to Arrma from "He who shall not be named".

Last edited:
You are correct that the Outcasts 15T has a lot more use, and the Kraton 4s 15T is brand new. So that might be it.

I didnt notice and difference in the width of the actual teeth part. So Im guessing it might just be due to the difference in age and use of the pinions. Ill probably be running both later today and will get a better idea on the sound difference while running them. The Outcast is a friends (Use to be mine so I built it and do all the maintenance).

By the way did the sound file work for others? Thanks
Change the stock pinions for robinson racing ones stock ones wear down too fast

This may help. Here is 2 pics of the pinion/ spur mesh at its closest and furthest from the pinion, and a video of the mesh around the spur at different points. In the video it looks like there are points where it looks like too much gap, but if you continue you will see at other points its very close so I had to pick a medium point so one part wouldnt bee too tight.
Closest.jpg
Furthest.jpg

I actually have a RR 14T and its louder. I agree they last though.
Gear noise can vary based different on gear diameters. I feel that smaller pinions whine more. But never gave sound much of a thought. Metal on metal is just noisy. I just focus on a correct mesh and gear alignment. When both gears are new, I use a few drops of Dry lube on them. Helps them break in to each other. Not critical, but I go the extra step. :cool:

Spoke too soon. It started slipping again even using orange threadlocker on the screw and the screw end. I don't think its the screw coming loose, I think it might have something to do with the way its assembled. Since its the HR spur I can only use one pad on one of the sides. I think that might be whats happening. Heres a couple pics of the assembly order with the HR spur. Anyone notice anything wrong here?
20200809_214741_copy_1428x602.jpg
20200809_214731_copy_1538x670.jpg

Spoke too soon. It started slipping again even using orange threadlocker on the screw and the screw end. I don't think its the screw coming loose, I think it might have something to do with the way its assembled. Since its the HR spur I can only use one pad on one of the sides. I think that might be whats happening. Heres a couple pics of the assembly order with the HR spur. Anyone notice anything wrong here?
View attachment 93686View attachment 93687
The spring is inside the hub take it out. Also you got the wrong spur thats the V1 spur gear of the 3s line
In those pesky clutches i use red threadlock anything else fails

The spring is inside the hub take it out. Also you got the wrong spur thats the V1 spur gear of the 3s line
In those pesky clutches i use red threadlock anything else fails

Yes I forgot to put the spring on for the pic. I know its the old version but its all Ive got for now. I just bought some red, but like I said I don't think the screw is coming loose. I think its just slipping. Im going to try red thread lock and backing the screw 1 1/4 out after fully tight.

Yes I forgot to put the spring on for the pic. I know its the old version but its all Ive got for now. I just bought some red, but like I said I don't think the screw is coming loose. I think its just slipping. Im going to try red thread lock and backing the screw 1 1/4 out after fully tight.
If its slipping it means its backing out

If its slipping it means its backing out
Thats what I thought too, but it was still tight. Maybe it just backed out enough to slip but the screw was still tight, because its not fully slipping when it happens, just at heavy throttle for a couple feet from stopped. Just reassembled after cleaning everything and using red for the first time. Fingers crossed. ???

Did you let the Red TL cure... like for 24 hours, before attempting to run it up? Adjust the slipper first and then let it cure.

Its drying now. Last time it was orange and it was dry. Guess orange wasnt strong enough although thats what Im using in the Outcasts slipper and it hasnt slipped in months. Thats why I was thinking it was related to the HR spur since thats all that is different.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back