Kraton Kraton 4s weak steering under power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VerticalChallenge

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 4s
  3. Nero
  4. Typhon 6s
I was at a skate park with my son today, running my Kraton 4s and his Granite 3s, and getting schooled by the Granite. On the big slab I was finally able to better observe my Kraton's weak steering at speed. What I was seeing was that the front wheels were barely turned even when the transmitter wheel was a full lock. At low speed it behaves as expected, and the side-to-side turning is quick. I had upgraded the stock servo to an off-brand model with a bit more speed & torque but still experienced the same sluggish high speed turning behavior - always making really wide turns. Until today I'd guessed it was just not having weight over the front wheels at speed.

I'm wondering if this is a sign of needing a BEC or capacitor so the servo has enough juice, or if something else explains the weak steering. I am running stock steering components, except for having replaced the plastic steering bushings with rubber-sealed ball bearings. On the bench it doesn't feel particularly loose or spongy, so I didn't believe it needed a metal servo arm or upgraded servo saver, but maybe I'm wrong.

Curious if anybody else has seen similar behavior and found a solution.

Thanks!

It likely the servo saver. Take the electronics module out, turn the car on, hold the servo saver with your hand and turn the wheel on the radio. If you can hold the servo saver easily, that’s the issue.

Also take out the screw attaching the draglink to the servo saver and turn the wheels by hand with the steering rack disconnected from the servo saver.

It should turn freely and easily and not bind.

I took out the electronics module as suggested and found the servo saver mounting screw into the servo was a bit loose. Disconnected from the servo, the steering turned freely. The saver was loose; was able to keep the arm steady when turning the servo. Tightened down the attachment screw seemed to help, as well as putting a little more preload in the back shocks. Should that servo saver mounting screw be locked all the way down, or turned back a quarter turn like the slipper clutch?

I took out the electronics module as suggested and found the servo saver mounting screw into the servo was a bit loose. Disconnected from the servo, the steering turned freely. The saver was loose; was able to keep the arm steady when turning the servo. Tightened down the attachment screw seemed to help, as well as putting a little more preload in the back shocks. Should that servo saver mounting screw be locked all the way down, or turned back a quarter turn like the slipper clutch?
You cant adjust the servo saver

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back