Kraton Kraton 6s BLX read diff upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bundyboy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I bought a Kraton 6s V5 BLX recently, it is my first 6s RC, I only had a 2s 1/10 before that. I think I got a bit carried away with the backflip thing and I ruined my rear diff main gear (see picture). This I believe happend over only two packs.

My first question would be: is that normal to ruin it so quickly doing jumps/backflips? I read that I should not be accelerating much when landing, I don't think I was, any other advise?

My second question is: should I replace only the main gear with a BLX one or is it worth upgrading to EXB rear diff (especially for durability)? I understand I also need a new main input gear if I go this way. I see two part number for EXB rear/front diff: ARA310990 and ARA311066 what's the difference?

thanks!

PXL_20210608_132753161.jpg

The EXB gears are more substantial, but the guts and carrier are all different, so the internal fit and spacing might not work out without changing the whole carrier. With a LSD in the rear, you would be a little stiff on 10k fluid for loose soil conditions. The EXB Kratons now are coming with EXB rear diffs and LSD delete kits installed with 10k, so you could get the benefit of the EXB gear without the LSD rear steer control issues by buying a rear take-off from Jenny's. I really like the EXB diffs, they've held up well for me.

Question for the more knowledgeable. 1. Will the entire gearbox complete from a breaker from the Kraton and Mojave EXB fit on the Kraton and Notorious V4s and V5s? The entire assembly is available. Also - is the front and rear interchangeable? IE: If I get a KEXB front diff (LSD) and housing complete with input gear - will it fit my Notorious V4 or OP's Kraton V5?

Question for the more knowledgeable. 1. Will the entire gearbox complete from a breaker from the Kraton and Mojave EXB fit on the Kraton and Notorious V4s and V5s? The entire assembly is available. Also - is the front and rear interchangeable? IE: If I get a KEXB front diff (LSD) and housing complete with input gear - will it fit my Notorious V4 or OP's Kraton V5?
Yes it will fit and interchangebale front and rear.

Yes it will fit and interchangebale front and rear.
Thanks! I thought so but I'd rather check. This way I can get either open or LSD front/rear. I have the parts to switch them to open or LSD either way.
Thanks! I thought so but I'd rather check. This way I can get either open or LSD front/rear. I have the parts to switch them to open or LSD either way.
Darn it - Jenny's sold the Mojave EXB gearbox. Same gearbox/assembly but cheaper than the Kraton EXB one for some reason.

I picked up a LSD guts kit to try out in the rear of my EXB Kraton (came converted to open). Lightest fluid I have is 7k, I thought it might be pushing it but I'm going to give it a try.

I just took a big swing at JennysRC - full set of EXB LSD diffs. I'll be replacing all of my Notorious V4 diffs with the new EXB LSD GP4s. Full diff housings, inputs and everything.

Why am I doing this? I put a Rocket 4092 motor in my Notrious and a 22t pinion. And I destroyed the ring/pinion front and rear in about 2 minutes. :cool:

Highly recommend the HR metal diff covers. You don't need the full case. I had to do some light sanding/filing to get it to fit properly, but it's great. I didn't break the diffs internally - but I had rebuilt all three of them and shimmed them myself, so I was pretty confident the diffs would handle it. But that V4 stock ring/pinion and housing/cover can't handle the ridiculous power I put through it. My son's Kraton EXB - no problem. But my Notorious shat it's internals with that much power.

When I'm done my Notorious is going to be a straight beast. Full EXB drivetrain. @Basherqueen CF towers, top plate, ackerman, and steering arms on the hubs (whatever those are called). I have a set of Backflip LPs to put on and a new clear body to paint up.

@L3phturn iv ben running a max6 4985 combo on 20/46 last few months no issues. Even ran 8s twice but no jumps.on 8s.Wanted to holler at ya havnt seen ya post on here latly. But im not on here much.🤷‍♂️ Edit running earplug in hr center diff. Awesum
Hey there, yeah I’ve hat a lot on the go in life. But these days we are back to running RCs most days. My son with the Kraton EXB and my daughters turned 9 so…. tomorrow I take them to get the each a Vorteks. So I’ll be around.

My Notorious V4 is my first Arrma and my first truck over 2S. That means I made all the mistakes on that one, like using shorty drivers, using a drill to take screws out of the diff housing, and other dumb stuff. That means the threads holding the gearbox covers on my Noto were not great, and I had not shimmed the diff tightly enough in the housing after it had 6 months on it. Then throw a big heavy motor and a new ESC in the mix with a really big pinion and…. two torn up ring and pinion sets front and rear. I also should have tested the punch setting on the new Max 8 I put in it, but I didn’t. I back flipped it off of a dirt pile and had to pull full throttle to make it around… and landed with it WFO with a 4092 and a 22 tooth pinion. So mistakes, previous damage/weakness, and poopy driving are the culprits. But a full EXB setup will give me a lot more durability so it’s a win.

No matter. I am going full beast mode as I break stuff. The boy’s Kraton EXB takes a pounding and doesn’t die. I’ve learned how to rebuild amd properly shim a diff and more.

Back