Kraton Kraton 6s Build Log. New 6s Minokawa tires, Tekno parts, and more!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Custnam

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
TLDR: Heres my Kraton 6s build so far

OK. Well if you have read some of my other posts you know I recently decided to get back into 6s and after some thought went with a Kraton V4. For awhile now Ive only had 4s vehicles and decided on something new. Anyway I am selling my modded Kraton 4s to a buddy and am in the middle of a Kraton 6s build and thought Id document it as I go. As seen in the pics I started with a brand new V4 and tore it down and took everything apart except the shocks. They werent leaking and felt perfect so Im leaving those as is for now. Other than the normal not enough or too much thread lock here and there I was able to get everything apart using a soldering iron where needed to loosen up thread lock. The only issue I found as documented in this thread here was a missing shim washer behind the sun gear in the center diff. So after some suggestions I ordered a set of the Mugen E0206 shims. Listed below is all the mods and upgrades I have either already ordered, or received, and some Ill be getting later when I can afford it. Here is my list so far:

1) RPM A-Arms (Already have and am currently installing)
2) RPM Wing mount (Installed)
3) RPM Front Bumper (Already have and am currently installing)
4) RPM Rear Skid Plate (Already have and am currently installing)
5) Flysky FS-GT5 (Receiver installed)
6) Servo (Had ordered a 30KG servo but noticed it was a lot slower than the 25KG I have so sticking with the DS3225)
7) Bearings (Have full set of Fast Eddys, most are already installed)
8) Batteries (Normally go with Zeee or Ovonic, but found some Hoovo 6s 6000mah 60C lipos for under $200 for 3)
9) Chassis Braces (Normally go with GPM ones, but since the EXB ones fit I ordered them. Also since they are red they match the other red parts listed below)
10) Suspension mounts (Ordered all 5 GPM Aluminum anodized red, some received some on the way)
11) ARRMA 6s wheelie bar. Installed
12) Motor Fan (Ordered red aluminum heat sink with dual fan. Off branded one just like the Yeah Racing one)
13) Chassis Protector Skid (Normally would order the T-Bone one with the skid plate, but went with just a vinyl one that is black with red "Monster" logo)
14) Dusty Motors shock covers. (Ive had great luck with these. I install them with zip ties on the top and bottom. Love how they keep the shocks nice and clean)
15) LED kit. (Have LED kit ordered, will be installing it pretty much the same way I did with the Kraton 4s as shown here in this thread.
16) Diffs (They were ok, but as discussed here in this thread the center diff was missing a sun gear shim, ordered the Mugen E0206 set). Will also be getting the HR diff cases later. Until then will be using the stock ones with 60K Front, 200K Center, and 30K Rear).
17) Hot Racing Aluminum Fixed Link Steering AON48SH25.
18) Hot Racing Aluminum Center Differential Cover Arrma BLX 6S ANN38C01.
19) Hot Racing Aluminum Center Differential EZM Mount Arrma BLX 6S ANN38A02.
20) Tekno shock ends and balls. TKR6140C and TKR5049A
21) 6s Minokawa tires and wheels
22) ALUMINUM CHASSIS BRACE SPACER SET (RED) #ARA320569
23) Hobbystar Alumunim fans for dual fan set up

Thats all I have currently planned for now. Depending on how things break, bend, etc. I might end up getting other parts. For example a JBIRC chassis or other parts. But for now its looking pretty good. Some people might think Im crazy to go from pic #1 and 2, to pic #3 without even driving it. But for me I LOVE working on them as much as I do driving them. Besides I wasnt even going to let the tires touch the road with the STX2 in it so I was already going to have to do some work on it before driving it. So I figure I might as well take it all apart to check everything, then reassemble with the new upgrades, and proper use of thread lock where its needed. So anyway thats the beginning of this build. A lot more pics and info to come. Thanks for reading (For the few that read this wall of text!). I suppose adding a TLDR at the top might help so Ill think of something to write for that now. ;);)

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Parts received 1.jpg

Last edited:
In order to build the perfect Kraton, you have to start with the perfect color. You’re on your way!
I half way agree. Blue is definitely more superior than red. But the "perfect" color would be black. ;)Gives me an idea for my next body.

I got a little bit more done today so Ill add an update. Got most of the front done with the parts I did have. Got the receiver installed and wired up with a power lead running out that will connect to the LED's when I get them installed. Just waiting on the motor fan, then Ill have that done. Have a few more parts coming today from Amazon (Love Sunday delivery!!). So Ill add that update probably tomorrow. Its coming along nicely, no major issues... knock on wood.

5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

Yesterday I was also able to get my LED's installed into the Kraton body. Im getting better with these everytime. This one came out very clean using 5mm white LED's in the front with grommets, and smaller red LED's in the rear with the LED holders they came with. Hot glued all the wires in place, then used super glue around the outer edges of the hot glue to hold it all in place. On previous installs the hot glue came loose from the body, and super glue was the solution to that. Anyway heres a few pics of the LED install. Ill add a few more once the truck is done and I get some night pics.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

OK. Another day a bit more progress. I received the Mugen Shims yesterday and was able to get the front and rear diffs perfect. The center diff gasket had a small tear so I ordered more. I was also to get most of the rear end back together. The front end is almost done also but I forgot when I ordered the RPM bumper that you need the Typhon 6s small bumper to make it all fit correctly so thats on the way as well.

Today I received the aluminum servo mount and the Monster chassis skin protector. The 25KG servo mounted perfectly, and just like before I had to use a small spacer on the linkage since this servo sits a bit higher. I also installed the Monster chassis protector. It looks AWESOME!! How long will it last, no telling yet. But at least there will be some protection. And unlike the T-Bone one it has all of the holes cut out so you don't have to remove the protector every time you need access to some screws. Anyway pics below. Should get quite a few more parts tomorrow so Ill keep updating.

9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg

Just adding a few more parts that I just ordered to the build list:

1) Hot Racing Aluminum Fixed Link Steering AON48SH25
2) Hot Racing Aluminum Center Differential Cover ANN38C01
3) Hot Racing Aluminum Center Differential EZM Mount ANN38A02
4) Hot Racing Aluminum Diff Cases AON11E02 (3)
5) Hot Racing Aluminum Servo Mount AON24M02
6) T-Bone Racing Typhon Rear Bumper Black (10006)

That concludes the parts Ive been wanting to order so far. Im sure more will come later, but for now thats it.

OK. Its basically completed now. With the exception of the parts I listed above everything is done. I ran into a couple issues that I figured Id write about in case anyone else has the same issues. The first thing I noticed which Im sure plenty of you already know is that the EXB front brace has a larger 4mm screw hole than the V4's upper plate. So that was easily solved by drilling out the hole in the plate larger. Then I used a 4x14mm BHS to hold the upper part which is what the EXB exploded view shows. See pic #15. The other issue I ran into was with the dual fans heat sink getting in the way of the V4 roll tower body mount. The cotter pins that hold the metal pins in would rub against (and scratch) the heat sink. After thinking about it and trying different things the easy solution was flip the lower part of the roll tower around so the pins would go in the other side (towards the front). I also used some of the body pin retainer tabs to make it easier to remove these. See pics #19-22 to see what I mean. After resolving that the fan was easily installed. I ran a wire lead out from the Flysky FS-GT5's receiver, then heat shrinked all the wires for a cleaner look and to protect the wires. The fan install came out great.

I also installed the Typhon 6s small bumper so they RPM bumper would fit correctly, then installed the rear skid plate although that is temporary since I ordered a small T-Bone rear bumper that will be part of the final install. I got all the red aluminum suspension pin holders installed. Finished the center diff with 200K and the new gaskets I ordered. Ill be installing all Hot Racing center diff parts soon when they come in, as well as the HR steering link. And finally Ill be installing all 3 HR diff cases when they come in as well. But for now its fully assembled and I just heard my charger beep so its off to the first drive test. Heres a bunch more pics of the build.

14.jpg
15.jpg

16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg
22.jpg
23.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg
26.jpg
27.jpg
28.jpg

29.jpg
30.jpg
31.jpg
32.jpg
33.jpg
34.jpg

OK. Got an update after running the V4 for the first time. WOW, just WOW!! After selling my Notorious awhile back and running only 4s cars for a few months I forgot how much fun and how much power the 6s's have. Anyway on my first run I was driving close to a curb and my neighbor slammed his door which caught my attention for about a half second and I slammed into a curb with the right front tire. I knew immediately it wasnt "OK" because the tire was now dragging along. So I checked it and all that happened was the pivot ball had popped out. It damaged the pivot ball a bit since it was dragging on the ground, but I was able to put it back in and the Kraton was OK for a bit. Then I heard the sound we are all familiar with when a pinion gets loose. Well in my case it not only got loose but the set screw had gotten damaged from rubbing on the sliding motor plate. So I wasnt able to get any of my hex tools in it to loosen it, even with heat. So I had to dremel it out. After awhile I was able to get it out but the dremel had also damaged the motors shaft. Its useable but I ordered a new stock motor and the motor plate since it was shredded a bit too from the pinion.

Anyway I then tried to use 2 set screws with blue thread lock (one on each side of the 2 flat spots on the motor) hoping that would hold and it did for awhile but came loose again. So this time I switched to red and used a lot. I just want the pinion to stay put. Good news is it didnt overheat again at all with the 12T. I will eventually be switching to a 14T and hope thats the sweet spot where it doesn't overheat and the dual fans work well enough to keep the motor cool. Other than these things Im having a blast. I now see why the Kraton 6s is probably the most popular Arrma. Its basically a perfect RC if you get it set up right with the right parts.

20201016_191723.jpg

OK. Ive done quite a bit since last update. Here is the full upgrade and mod list so far. Im sure Ill do more soon, but for now Im done.

ARRMA Kraton 6s Full upgrades and mods list:

1) RPM A-Arms front and rear (RPM 81482, RPM 81402)
2) RPM front bumper (RPM 81472)
3) RPM wing mount (RPM 81642)
4) Hot Racing Diff Cases | front, center, and rear (AON11E02) Front 60K, Center 200K, Rear 30K Team Associated
5) Hot Racing Aluminum fixed steering link (AON48SH25)
6) Hot Racing Aluminum Center Differential Cover (ANN38C01)
7) Hot Racing Aluminum Center Differential EZM Mount (ANN38A02)
8) Hot Racing Aluminum Steering Servo Mount (AON24M02)
9) Fast Eddys Bearing set complete (TFE2628)
10) Flysky FS-GT5 radio and receiver
11) DS3225 25kg servo
12) Batteries Hoovo 6s 60C 6000mah X 3
13) Arrma Kraton EXB Aluminum Front Center Chassis Brace Red (ARA320564)
14) Arrma Kraton EXB Aluminum Rear Center Chassis Brace Red (ARA320567)
15) Dual Fan with Reed heat sink for motor
16) Arrma 6s Wheelie bar set (AR320366)
17) Dusty Motors shock covers
18) Vinyl chassis protector (Red Monster logo)
19) T-Bone Racing 1/8 Rear Bumper ARRMA Typhon 6s (TBR 10006)
20) New .25A ESC fan. Used the stock fan for Traxxas Maxx ESC (TRX3475)
21) LED kit. Installed front white lights, and red rear lights for night driving
22) Tires vented and sealed

35.jpg
36.jpg
37.jpg
38.jpg
39.jpg
40.jpg
41.jpg
42.jpg
43.jpg
44.jpg
46.jpg
47.jpg
48.jpg
49.jpg
50.jpg

51.jpg
52.jpg
53.jpg
54.jpg
55.jpg

Well Ive done a few more things to the build and thought I would add them here. I was tired of wearing down the stock Copperhead tires on the street so I bought some of the older 6s Minokawa tires for street and asphalt runs. They look great, and have pretty decent grip now that they are a bit worn in. I also added the Tekno shock ends and balls as well as new Hobbystar fans for the dual motor fan set up. The fans that came with the kit are garbage. 2 out of the 4 I had all broke at the same place. Where the wire goes into the fan it sheared off. This happened when I was just driving up and down my street. The Hobbystar fans are much better built with thicker more pliable wire so they should hold up.

I also added a stock Arrma 14T pinion and after trying several different sizes I think thats the max you can go without eventually having the ESC cut out due to heat. I also just redid all the diffs again with the final weights I have decided to use. 80F, 500C, and 60R. Then I was able to finally track down some team factory 80wt, although its the older style and seems a bit thin, but that might just be how it was made then. But overall I love how it came out. Its fast, powerful, and finally solid. No more pinion issues. Anyway enough babbling. Heres some new pics.

56.jpg
57.jpg
58.jpg
59.jpg
60.jpg
61.jpg
62.jpg
63.jpg
64.jpg
65.jpg
66.jpg

Awesome build! Now comes the best part and to go tear it up. Where did you buy most of your parts? Looking through the vendors area it doesn't look like anyone participates there.

Awesome build! Now comes the best part and to go tear it up. Where did you buy most of your parts? Looking through the vendors area it doesn't look like anyone participates there.

The majority were from Amain, Ebay, T-Bone, and Amazon. But a few at other smaller online stores.

holy poop @Custnam... i just ran into this post.. man your 6s is a beast!

thanks for your help, with my upgrades!

Do you keep a running total where you are on this build? I've said it another post. Just getting into the hobby for the first time and after a few basic upgrades + my first accident i'm at about $1200 bucks. (counting batteries and charger, etc..)

Your build alone seems like 1000+

holy poop @Custnam... i just ran into this post.. man your 6s is a beast!

thanks for your help, with my upgrades!

Do you keep a running total where you are on this build? I've said it another post. Just getting into the hobby for the first time and after a few basic upgrades + my first accident i'm at about $1200 bucks. (counting batteries and charger, etc..)

Your build alone seems like 1000+
Im sure it's well over that by now. I try not to think about how much money Ive spent. Gets depressing!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back