Kraton Kraton 6s - Deans connectors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omniphil

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have Kraton 6s on the way and i have existing 2s and 3s lipos all with deans.
I would not run deans on a single 6s pack, but I run them all the time on my 3s packs.
I have other cars that all run 2s and 3s and deans, so it would be nice to keep eveything the same.

I know deans amp draw isn't up to EC5, but with the amp load being spread out across two 3s packs it should be fine?

Side note, I notice some 3s packs are much thicker than others, will the thicker ones fit? Is there a spec for the max dimensions of that battery tray?

Your deans will burn up or cause serious issues, just an issue of timing. Consider yourself lucky that it hasn't happened yet. Switch them out.

Are you running the 3S in parallel or series i.e. 6S with the serial connector?
In parallel, you are borderline ok as you never have the split 50/50. If you run them as single or in series you are just asking for problems.

The solution is simple, switch all to the next better connector. EC5/XT90 are recommended for the 6S line, pick the one that makes most sense for you based on reference below.

Connector rating:
Tamiya plug - 6.5 amps
Deans - 45 amps
EC3 - 60 amps
XT60 - 60 amps
Castle 4.0mm Polarized - 75 amps
XT90 - 90 amps
EC5 - 120 amps
Castle 5.5mm bullets - 150 amps
XT150 - 150 amps
Castle 6.5mm Polarized - 200 amps
Castle 8.0mm bullets - 300 amps

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/melted-deans-on-limitless.22992/#post-316764

Your deans will burn up or cause serious issues, just an issue of timing. Consider yourself lucky that it hasn't happened yet. Switch them out.

Are you running the 3S in parallel or series i.e. 6S with the serial connector?
In parallel, you are borderline ok as you never have the split 50/50. If you run them as single or in series you are just asking for problems.

The solution is simple, switch all to the next better connector. EC5/XT90 are recommended for the 6S line, pick the one that makes most sense for you based on reference below.

Connector rating:
Tamiya plug - 6.5 amps
Deans - 45 amps
EC3 - 60 amps
XT60 - 60 amps
Castle 4.0mm Polarized - 75 amps
XT90 - 90 amps
EC5 - 120 amps
Castle 5.5mm bullets - 150 amps
XT150 - 150 amps
Castle 6.5mm Polarized - 200 amps
Castle 8.0mm bullets - 300 amps

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/melted-deans-on-limitless.22992/#post-316764
Stupid question but that rating is based on the ESC or the motor? I have a tp4070 1700kv and an MMX 8s.

Just a note, with anything connected in series, the current is not "spread out" - the same amount of current flows through everything. So if the ESC pulls 150A, it will be the same 150A through a single 6s or two 3s packs. Only if running parallel the current is (approximately, depending on pack matching) divided to 2x75A.

Ditch the Deans, I prefer XT90s but you can go with EC5s, XT150 or whatever is rated higher than XT90s from jkflow's list. (y)

Just a note, with anything connected in series, the current is not "spread out" - the same amount of current flows through everything. So if the ESC pulls 150A, it will be the same 150A through a single 6s or two 3s packs. Only if running parallel the current is (approximately, depending on pack matching) divided to 2x75A.

Ditch the Deans, I prefer XT90s but you can go with EC5s, XT150 or whatever is rated higher than XT90s from jkflow's list. (y)
I have CC 6.5mm on my DBXLe and bought some for the Kraton but I understand they are a B1tch to work with so I thought I might go with xt90's instead.

I have EC5 on all my 4S packs that get bashed and XT150s on all my speed run packs. I would love to get some QS8s at some point and replace the XT150s.

Do any of you folks know where to get the EC5 connectors in bulk that aren't the cheap knock offs on Amazon?

Just do a search for AMASS EC-5 connectors. Amass is a company that makes all connectors for rc except for the tamiya plug.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back