Kraton 6s Exb diff fix?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smorg84

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
So I'm breaking the little pins... Won't be long till it takes some teeth with it. Any suggestions or complete replacements?

Nails of the correct diameter will work as well. I've never used drill bits or blanks myself. I know lots of people use them but, to my mind, hardened steel is a bit brittle and I prefer to have a little more ductility in small pieces like those pins which allows them to flex a little and not shatter the first time they experience any lateral deflection. Spring steel works well in this application too, imho.

First thing to check when replacing them is that there is absolutely no slop in their fitment. If there's any movement between the pin, output shaft, and the gear then either the other parts are worn or the pins you have aren't the size they are supposed to be. An inexpensive digital micrometer will help you determine this. Measure the pin length and diameter, you'll know quickly if it's within specs. Beyond that is going the high speed steel/tool steel blanks and cutting them to length yourself to get a little more life out of the parts you have.

The problem with mass production drive pins are that they are not an interference fit into the sun gear groove. Any wiggle in that assembly mate will significantly increase the shear force on the pin. Then you have people adding massive centrifugal forces by swapping tires and landing full power on high friction surfaces…. 😬

I turn each pin with various diameters/length to fit the casting tolerance in every sun gear. Again, diff building is an art and subjective to each individual’s preference where to transfer the failure modes.

I made one at work. Fits perfectly into the gear. anyone know of a good aftermarket diff setup? Just curious

Could try these Was striping teeth after going to 3.8 trenchers after switching I still have not lost a tooth yet. Might go to an open diff set up as I'm eating up the LSD plates a little faster then norm with the bigger tires and more traction.
https://www.amazon.com/RCAWD-Kraton-Mojave-Fireteam-Upgrade/dp/B0BFGXQDRF/ref=sr_1_5?crid=111GHIQRMWLXG&keywords=6s+diff+gears&qid=1675998686&sprefix=6s+diff+gear,aps,139&sr=8-5
I was really skeptical of RCAWD at first but have been pleasantly surprised. Great prices and their stuff seems well built with good tolerances. I have their “hardened tool steel” CVD’s in one of my street Typhons and they’ve been great. I’ve used some of their drive pins also with good results, hardened shock standoffs, and input cups. Their hardened input cups are great, with no wobble. Great upgrade for those crappy Safe-D drive cups. I hate those things.

I was really skeptical of RCAWD at first but have been pleasantly surprised
Wow...I asked about them a couple months back on here and everyone advised me to STAY AWAY! Maybe they've gotten better over time..? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Wow...I asked about them a couple months back on here and everyone advised me to STAY AWAY! Maybe they've gotten better over time..? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Just the usual aftermarket brand specific or domestic promoters hating on overseas suppliers providing budget OE solutions. If U.S. manufacturing can’t compete with China prices, sorry about the recession…

$120 for a basherqueen bulkhead when you can get both Treal or HR for that, what’s your choice for a toy basher 🤔

I have a lot of their aluminum including diff housing, it’s more robust than Arrma plastic where it needs to be and cost effective.

IDK. Maybe others were just skeptical as well. Expecting Integy quality, etc. etc.? Or maybe I’ve just been lucky. I think what really convinced me were their input cups. Quality on par with some much more expensive options from brands many here seem married to. They just don’t seem to be wearing out on my rigs. I’ll probably run them exclusively at this point on everything but speed run builds that get the Scorched titanium setups.

IDK. Maybe others were just skeptical as well. Expecting Integy quality, etc. etc.? Or maybe I’ve just been lucky. I think what really convinced me were their input cups. Quality on par with some much more expensive options from brands many here seem married to. They just don’t seem to be wearing out on my rigs. I’ll probably run them exclusively at this point on everything but speed run builds that get the Scorched titanium setups.
Good to know..thanks. 👍🏼

Just the usual aftermarket brand specific or domestic promoters hating on overseas suppliers providing budget OE solutions. If U.S. manufacturing can’t compete with China prices, sorry about the recession…

$120 for a basherqueen bulkhead when you can get both Treal or HR for that, what’s your choice for a toy basher 🤔

I have a lot of their aluminum including diff housing, it’s more robust than Arrma plastic where it needs to be and cost effective.
Probably. Some of the import stuff really does suck, but there are also some very good and cost effective options. As for $120.00 diff housings, have you seen the new Scorched ones? Daaaaamn!!! David mos def built a better mousetrap.

$120 for a basherqueen bulkhead
Basherqueen is $90 now which is same as vitavon but I know what you're sayin.
Also..I should mention on my new Kraton build I have vitavon bulkheads and I had to shim both diffs with the stock arrma shim that comes with arrma diffs. Didn't think that I would after all that I read about fitment.

Lead times are getting better from one, and worse from the local one unfortunately as well.

It’s winter here, good time to stock inventory for the consumer 👍

Also..I should mention on my new Kraton build I have vitavon bulkheads and I had to shim both diffs with the stock arrma shim that comes with arrma diffs. Didn't think that I would after all that I read about fitment.
I also have shims in a couple Vitavon bulkheads. I actually would have bought Kimberly’s last time but she was out of stock when I needed them. I do like to support her business when I can though. But dude, not to snatch money from anyone’s pocket but you must check out the Scorched ones…

I also have shims in a couple Vitavon bulkheads. I actually would have bought Kimberly’s last time but she was out of stock when I needed them. I do like to support her business when I can though. But dude, not to snatch money from anyone’s pocket but you must check out the Scorched ones…
Same here on out of stock. And I will check out Scorched. I have an 8s I want to beefcake at some point.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back