Kraton Kraton 6s EXB roller

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miuliani

Reaction score
Yet another "what's better for my Kraton" question. I just picked up a 1/8th 6s Kraton EXB - slapped in a Savox 1210 servo running a DX5c radio but now I get to the esc and motor. I've been reading up about the Mamba X 8s/1717 combo or the Max 6/4985 combo but when I went to my LHS - he doesn't think they will fit and are more catered to the 1/5th EXB. So i'm asking you all who have the experience - what's the better combo that will fit well, not run too hot (I was leaning toward the Mamba X 8s/1717 combo running a 20t pinion). Which of these are better?

Nice choices so far … For power and more features.. get the castle setup.. for durability and ease of use.. I personally prefer the max 6 combo.. in my kraton I run with a max6 and hobbystar 4092 1730kv.. and yes both the combos you mentioned will without a doubt fit and work well with this platform. I have the max 6 combo in many of my vehicles and it’s been flawless in all. One thing I would suggest is a better fan for the esc and if you plan on a bigger pinion for better air control I’d put a fan on the motor too just because..

I also have a fan combo that I absolutely love.. it’s a little bit of work but so much better than bolt on ones you can get these days..

Link to fan info:

Hope this helps

And on the other side here is the CC combo. Fits nice. I run a 20t pinion but may go back to 18t for a little more torque. No heat issues with either pinions. I never have owned the MAX setup but was told its better for bashing...?

2kraton2.jpg

And on the other side here is the CC combo. Fits nice. I run a 20t pinion but may go back to 18t for a little more torque. No heat issues with either pinions. I never have owned the MAX setup but was told its better for bashing...?

View attachment 192172
Nice mud guards brother ! Question you don’t run a fan on it ? I have a 1650cc motor is that what you’re running ?

As said above....they fit fine.

Be careful listening to the local hobby shop people.. sometimes they are just a worker and know much of nothing about most RCs.
Yeah, this. If it does not have a part number in the car's catalog, most LHS guys will say it won't fit, don't use it. I had a guy refuse to sell me a Traxxas turnbuckle that I was going to put on my old Losi XXCR. So I grabbed a set of unbranded 4/40 threaded rod ball-cup ends from the airplane section. He didn't want to sell me those either because "they are for planes, not cars". Don't worry, bub, this is for a turnbuckle for my homemade plane... LOL

Yeah, this. If it does not have a part number in the car's catalog, most LHS guys will say it won't fit, don't use it. I had a guy refuse to sell me a Traxxas turnbuckle that I was going to put on my old Losi XXCR. So I grabbed a set of unbranded 4/40 threaded rod ball-cup ends from the airplane section. He didn't want to sell me those either because "they are for planes, not cars". Don't worry, bub, this is for a turnbuckle for my homemade plane... LOL
That’s crazy yeah I don’t do LHS too much, only for connectors or screws but anything else I get online it’s insane the guy really didn’t want to Make money my LHS guy also was kinda like oh no those won’t work the connectors won’t do it I’m like ok I want it idk 🤷‍♂️

Also, it was funny that he was trying to find parts for the XXCR in the current Losi catalog... Mind you, this car was discontinued around '98/'99... LOL "What kind of car was that again? Are you sure it was a Losi?"

Nice mud guards brother ! Question you don’t run a fan on it ? I have a 1650cc motor is that what you’re running ?
Yes its a 1650 motor. I do park runs pretty much wide open for most of the packs (8s) and have yet to run into heat problems.
I do want a fan setup for my motor but haven't been actively looking/researching heatsinks/fans much.

Yes its a 1650 motor. I do park runs pretty much wide open for most of the packs (8s) and have yet to run into heat problems.
I do want a fan setup for my motor but haven't been actively looking/researching heatsinks/fans much.
I should also point out that my Kraton body is highly trimmed and has a ton of airflow.

I'm going to jump on this thread as I'm planning to get myself a Kraton 6S EXB in the next few months and I'm trying to plan the electronics I'll go with. For the servo I'll probably go Promodeler.
For the power system I was thinking the Max6 combo with the 1650kv motor, but today I realised that the electronics on the 6S BLX RTR are more like the MAX8 combo in terms of ESC specs and motor size. So now I'm not sure if the Max8 combo (which I already have one I could borrow from another rig) is good enough, or if I should just go with the Max6? One more thing to mention is that to start with I'll probably run on 4S, because I only have one small-ish 3S pack and and a couple of 4S ones, don't have any 6S packs. Is 4S sufficient or is it underwhelming and should I plan to start off 6S?

I'm going to jump on this thread as I'm planning to get myself a Kraton 6S EXB in the next few months and I'm trying to plan the electronics I'll go with. For the servo I'll probably go Promodeler.
For the power system I was thinking the Max6 combo with the 1650kv motor, but today I realised that the electronics on the 6S BLX RTR are more like the MAX8 combo in terms of ESC specs and motor size. So now I'm not sure if the Max8 combo (which I already have one I could borrow from another rig) is good enough, or if I should just go with the Max6? One more thing to mention is that to start with I'll probably run on 4S, because I only have one small-ish 3S pack and and a couple of 4S ones, don't have any 6S packs. Is 4S sufficient or is it underwhelming and should I plan to start off 6S?
I'd go max6 combo and run 4s until you can get a 6s or 2x 3s. 4s will work fine until you crave more.

Great! I think that's what I'll do. One more question, does the EXB come with a pinion gear? I don't think so but want to confirm. What's the recommended tooth count for the 1650kv motor?

Good call.... I got a Kraton 6S EXB end Oct. No pinion in the box some did in the past. I am using the same Max6/1650kv. Started with 20T pinion love it....plenty of power. You are good between 20-24 what I have seen in my research I got a pack off eBay if I ever wanted to change. You can start at 18T some do that as well...I like the 20T.

I run 6S....but I also bring 4S and it runs good, a lot more tame, on 4S and I still can run that on 4S against my buddy with his Typhon 6S v5 for good competition.

Enjoy!

Great! I think that's what I'll do. One more question, does the EXB come with a pinion gear? I don't think so but want to confirm. What's the recommended tooth count for the 1650kv motor?
Nope, old models did but you should buy one. I also have a max 6 combo in my kraton and I run a 24t pinion with fans. It's pretty damn bonkers on 6s tbh, nothing like stock electronics.

Awesome, thanks for the info guys! I have a few spare mod1 pinions here, I have 20T, 22T, 24T, 25T and 26T so I'm sorted from that point of view.

As said above....they fit fine.

Be careful listening to the local hobby shop people.. sometimes they are just a worker and know much of nothing about most RCs.
+1.
Unfortunately this is so true for many LHS's. Been there.
Looking for a specific item at a LHS, then they give me 10 reasons, why what I want, won't work.
Then it takes them 3 minutes to realize I know what I am talking about. They just want me to buy what they have because it is there or more profitable for them. There is no way a LHS can know absolutely everything about all RC's out there. Is what it is. The guy behind the counter doesn't build 99% of the time. It is just a guess on their part IMHO. I support LHS's when I can.
But there can be many fails in this regard.

Awesome, thanks for the info guys! I have a few spare mod1 pinions here, I have 20T, 22T, 24T, 25T and 26T so I'm sorted from that point of view.
I put the bigger motor and ESC in to grow into and run 6s with a savox 1212 (I think) servo. I run 2 x 3s battery packs an will say it's an absolute beast.

Something to think about, that 1650kv motor will be sloooooow on 4s. You will need to gear it to the moon to get any speed out of it. If you are thinking of running it 2-6 run on 4s just till you can swing the 6s packs, it may be fine. But if you are thinking of staying on 4s for longer term, then the 2200kv in the Max8 combo would be a better fit. Less weight too, so less work for the 4s system.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back