Kraton Kraton 6s gearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a hobby wing max 6 combo and I wondering what gearing I should use with the stock spur the motor is the 1650kv
I'm running a 23t with paddle tires and it flies. Anything from 20 to 24 should give you a good balance of speed and torque. Just be careful about heat the higher you go.

Man I need to get a pinion right now I’m running a 15
with the stock 6s system
That's a bit low for a 1650kv but it should still move pretty well. Definitely need to have a variety between 19 and 24 when you run the 1650.

Got a hobby wing max 6 combo and I wondering what gearing I should use with the stock spur the motor is the 1650kv

I have to agree... I have the same setup lov'in the 20T pinion but I have some all the way up to 22T on hand. Temps runs good but I do have Game Changer fans on both ESC and motor...but when not using the fans in this season runs really good.

Enjoy!

Like mentioned before, anything between 18t-24t will work well. That being said, I use 18t and she runs like a bat out of hell. Sure, ludacris speed is fun, but not fun when you hit anything (literally anything). Speed & weight = 💰💰💰

Forgot to mention, I run 1650 with twin 30mm fans. Temps stay around 110.

I started with a 20t, then moved to the 23. But even with 20t before I upgraded ESC fan, could only make it 3/4 pack before having to let the ESC cool down.

I use a 25t, rig is at ludicrous speed. 2 fans on the motor and one on the ESC, I have a temp sensor relaying to my TX and never goes above 125 F. this is in So Cal heat too.

The ESC is hitting thermal?
FYI, I am back to a 20t. 23 was just too fast. Could never get past 3/4 throttle.
It does. The MMX8 makes the stupid beeping crap and it does not go anywhere. Little later it does (cools down a little, while I pop back driveshafts :D ) I will try to go down to 20 and see what happens. I just do not see any improvement from 27t to 22t (as far as shut down), so I thought I ask before trying anything. Maybe the 20 will help.
I use a 25t, rig is at ludicrous speed. 2 fans on the motor and one on the ESC, I have a temp sensor relaying to my TX and never goes above 125 F. this is in So Cal heat too.
What fans do you have on the motor?

It does. The MMX8 makes the stupid beeping crap and it does not go anywhere. Little later it does (cools down a little, while I pop back driveshafts :D ) I will try to go down to 20 and see what happens. I just do not see any improvement from 27t to 22t (as far as shut down), so I thought I ask before trying anything. Maybe the 20 will help.

What fans do you have on the motor?
You only using 6s?

You only using 6s?
Now I do, since 8S kept on overheating, I started to dial back on everything. (Plus I have more 6S packs ready to test at any given point). So here is the trial and error process in chronological order:

1. 8S 27/50
2. 8S 22/50
3. 6S 22/50

Maybe this weekend I try to install the 20T. As I am reading through other threads, maybe it could be the battery pack quality or the Trenchers or the driveline bind (if any, which I have not noticed, but I check again).

I will also double check the heat cut off, I think I have it set at 180F, but maybe 170F not sure. Either way, this is my only rig so far that has so severe overheating issues. I thought I am doing the right thing choosing 1100kv over 1650kv, but maybe I just give in and use the cliche motor (I just hate boring things :D )

I have an 18T pinion on my Kraton 6s with MMX 8s and 1717 1650kv motor, and neither the ESC nor the motor get hot enough to shut down after 15 minutes of hard throttle runs. I could probably go with a 20T and still not have heat issues, but the 18 is plenty fast enough to run out of room in my half acre backyard.

I have an 18T pinion on my Kraton 6s with MMX 8s and 1717 1650kv motor, and neither the ESC nor the motor get hot enough to shut down after 15 minutes of hard throttle runs. I could probably go with a 20T and still not have heat issues, but the 18 is plenty fast enough to run out of room in my half acre backyard.
More and more thinking it is the damn gearing. I am not going for speed much rather punch (so I can drive / jump the Kraton like an idiot) for Serious drving I stick with the Typhon. :D

More and more thinking it is the damn gearing. I am not going for speed much rather punch (so I can drive / jump the Kraton like an idiot) for Serious drving I stick with the Typhon. :D
What you want to do requires a smaller pinion for more torque. On an 18T pinion, my Kraton 6s with Castle system can do a 360 degree backflip from a standing start on grass with neither the wing nor the HR wheelie bar touching the ground during the flip. I only did it twice: once on 4s and once on 6s. I'm not into stunts, so I turned the punch down to prevent wheelies anytime I squeezed the throttle normally. I can still do a wheelie if I mash the throttle all the way in a quick motion.

Now I do, since 8S kept on overheating, I started to dial back on everything. (Plus I have more 6S packs ready to test at any given point). So here is the trial and error process in chronological order:

1. 8S 27/50
2. 8S 22/50
3. 6S 22/50

Maybe this weekend I try to install the 20T. As I am reading through other threads, maybe it could be the battery pack quality or the Trenchers or the driveline bind (if any, which I have not noticed, but I check again).

I will also double check the heat cut off, I think I have it set at 180F, but maybe 170F not sure. Either way, this is my only rig so far that has so severe overheating issues. I thought I am doing the right thing choosing 1100kv over 1650kv, but maybe I just give in and use the cliche motor (I just hate boring things :D )
I will say the 1650kv on 20t is far from boring. It is fast. Will do a standing backflip also....but thatbis hard on tires and diffs....so limit them. Lol

What you want to do requires a smaller pinion for more torque. On an 18T pinion, my Kraton 6s with Castle system can do a 360 degree backflip from a standing start on grass with neither the wing nor the HR wheelie bar touching the ground during the flip. I only did it twice: once on 4s and once on 6s. I'm not into stunts, so I turned the punch down to prevent wheelies anytime I squeezed the throttle normally. I can still do a wheelie if I mash the throttle all the way in a quick motion.
That's what got me started. I have noticed that chuckled more and more when this thing did a backflip and became utterly uncontrollable., so it requires my full attention to tame. So I guess with lower pinion I will have double? That would be laughter for a whole afternoon. :D It did the backflip with 27T and 22T even on 6S with the 1100kv. Maybe this is a phase after the Typhon seconds chasing not sure, but I really would like to get a better "wrench issues/play" ratio. Right now it is 95%/5% let alone the ESC heat limits. I guess no choice, I change the gearing before anything.
I will say the 1650kv on 20t is far from boring. It is fast. Will do a standing backflip also....but thatbis hard on tires and diffs....so limit them. Lol
Yep, I had to install the metal hubs for the proline wheels otherwise this thing does not go anywhere. It is possible that I over-mystify the 1100kv vs 1650kv performance due to my limited experience. As soon as I saw "Torque" i went for it, since that's what I live for in my real cars (as opposed to BHP). I almost bought the 800kv for this thing, in retrospect it seems like a good coincidence that I did not. :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back