Kraton Kraton 6s Outdrive Damage- What caused this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NigelPrentice

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
I recently posted about this, and Thanks to those who helped me identify what part to order. But that got me to thinking, what if the damage goes deeper into the diff, and more importantly what actually caused this damage? I'd hate to replace the outdrives or rebuild the diff, and have this happen again...

Kraton 6s v4 Front Left Outdrive Damage
Outdrive-Left-Empty-Circled.png

Outdrive-Left-Dogbone-Circled.png

Outdrive-Right1-Note.png

What do you think caused outdrive damage?
I'm new to the hobby, so I'm learning a lot. My research on Youtube and here doesn't really give me clarity on what normally causes this. I run my Kraton on grass, dirt, or asphalt on my street. In this case, I built a little 12 inch high ramp and was jumping on my street. Some of my landings were not so graceful. I do remember a few landings where the Kraton landed on one tire. Maybe the damage happened when I landed on the front left tire alone while pegging the throttle, the tire gripped, but the diff was trying to push, and it broke the outdrive. Another piece of info is earlier that day I replaced the stock steering blocks with the Hot Racing upgrades (AON21M01). I'm not sure how that could have caused the damage, but it is something to keep in mind since I certainly had to remove then replace the dogbones in the process.

My new steering blocks:
Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 4.15.48 PM.png

Here are my questions:
1. What do you think causes this type of outdrive damage?
2. Are there any other diff parts that I should be concerned about?
3. Could changing my diff fluid weight improve my situation?

Thanks in advance!!

1) the dogbone came out of the cup and spun on the face of it.. (that's why I suggested removing the camber shims/washers behind the pivot balls)

2) no, I highly doubt it took a anything out inside the diff

3) no, but it will improve or decrease driveability/ traction..

Bad landing on one wheel to where the impact is enough to flex the a-arm which in turn pops the end of the dogbone out of the diffs output cup. The dog bone and pins chew the output cup up when misaligned with each revolution of the wheel and then we end up here.
1) the dogbone came out of the cup and spun on the face of it.. (that's why I suggested removing the camber shims/washers behind the pivot balls)

this
In bold ^

I agree with the above comments but want to add that possible damage from a off center pin the the dogbone end.
Had an outdrive do this after about 2 weeks use arrma replaced under warranty.
Or landing under power.

Ahhh I see. Ok I'll take out the shims. It seems no one likes them. It's weird that my local hobby shop said keep them in. Not sure I agree with that guy knowing what I know now.

Bad landing on one wheel to where the impact is enough to flex the a-arm which in turn pops the end of the dogbone out of the diffs output cup. The dog bone and pins chew the output cup up when misaligned with each revolution of the wheel and then we end up here.

this In bold ^

Flexing the a-arm. Ok. Gotcha that makes sense. It all comes down to the dogbone coming out and causing havoc.

I agree with the above comments but want to add that possible damage from a off center pin the the dogbone end.
Had an outdrive do this after about 2 weeks use arrma replaced under warranty.
Or landing under power.

I'll check the pin... and learn how to land better. :D

Thanks everyone! Super helpful.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back