Kraton Kraton 6s Pinion Gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Packer

Reaction score
Just picked up one. Anyone have any suggestions on gearing? Was thinking of putting in a 23T pinion.

I just want a little extra pop.

Just picked up one. Anyone have any suggestions on gearing? Was thinking of putting in a 23T pinion.

I just want a little extra pop.
What electronics are you running? If stock, that’s waaaaaayyy too big of pinion.

I ran the 15T speed pinion without motor cooling and it was getting very toasty on 6S. With cooling now, I'm thinking I'll try a 16T.

It all depends on your driving, how much acceleration and braking you're doing, compared to, say, speed runs. Also grass vs asphalt will cause a lot more heating (even with the stock pinion).

Honestly though.. that thing is a freaking rocket with a 15T... I can't imagine needing much more, but maybe that's just me.

16T seems to be my sweet spot (4s or 6s). Stock electrics. But using double fans at the motor and a HS fan at the stock ESC. 17T is nice with 4S. But not with 6S. Heat and all despite the fans. Perhaps in the cooler weather I will up it to 17T again. I run both 6S and 4S frequently in my Kraton. I'm good with 16T and the driveability.

6S and 20T (speed pinion) is the absolute max and you will cook the motor in 5 min.
23T will just burn it out.
You want to stay around 15-16T for bashing, 14T in grass. Add a fan and you can gear up 1 or 2 teeth.
In addition, higher pinion makes no sense as you will blow out the stock tires starting around 20T.

6S and 20T (speed pinion) is the absolute max and you will cook the motor in 5 min.
23T will just burn it out.
You want to stay around 15-16T for bashing, 14T in grass. Add a fan and you can gear up 1 or 2 teeth.
In addition, higher pinion makes no sense as you will blow out the stock tires starting around 20T.
Yes! I blew up a stock tire on 15T! Gotta be careful when a front wheel comes off the ground in a spin and gets all the power.

Yes! I blew up a stock tire on 15T! Gotta be careful when a front wheel comes off the ground in a spin and gets all the power.
i run 25t on a 4985 and my fronts balloon all the time. Never shredded a tire yet. If this guy runs a 23t hes gunna cook his electrics before he has a chance to shred a tire.

I smoked my esc on my notorious at 18 so i'd def stay down in the 15-16. Now i run a max6/4092 (either 1480 or 1730kv) hobbystar in all my 6s rigs with 24/46 gearing, and 12v fans for cooling. The 6s Outcast tires seem to work pretty well on the k6 as well. They will still balloon a little but prob a little stiffer than the stock k6 tires.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back