Kraton Kraton 6s, Throttle but no steering? Why.?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2LEGIT2QUIT

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey long time reader, First time poster,

On my blx Kraton I took a minor tumble wumble and lost all steering,

I have full control over throttle yet no servo movement whatsoever,

I have swapped in and out several different 15kg servos, receivers and transmitters all to no avail.
Just throttle control but no movement or noise from any servo at all.

Steering wire is plugged in correctly,
Wires all have solid continuity.

On the receiver I plugged the servo into the esc channel and the esc into throttle channel and the transmitter steering became throttle as expected but still no servo movement or noise when using throttle on transmitter

Any advice, clues or help would be greatly appreciated

IMG_20210920_174822.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, you defintely covered all your bases troubleshhotting it.(y) All I would have done.
Have to think real outside the box now.:unsure: All else points to the Tx.
Just that the Tx had nothing to do with how it happened?????? Doubt that!

Swap out the servo at this point. Everything points to this right now.:cool:
Stocker servos are way underpowered and shortlived anyway. (15kg)
I've been using 5 DS3235 35kg AMZ servos across many of my 6s rigs with great results so far. One of them is almost 2 years old.
Highly suggest a 35kg servo at a minimum for any 6s rig, whatever servo you get.
Consider shimming the ServoSaver hub, tightening it up, once you upgrade your servo.

Last edited:
Hey long time reader, First time poster,

On my blx Kraton I took a minor tumble wumble and lost all steering,

I have full control over throttle yet no servo movement whatsoever,

I have swapped in and out several different 15kg servos, receivers and transmitters all to no avail.
Just throttle control but no movement or noise from any servo at all.

Steering wire is plugged in correctly,
Wires all have solid continuity.

On the receiver I plugged the servo into the esc channel and the esc into throttle channel and the transmitter steering became throttle as expected but still no servo movement or noise when using throttle on transmitter

Any advice, clues or help would be greatly appreciated

View attachment 170098

Not sure if this affects anything but your servo is in backwards.
20210824_004207.jpg

Also you mentioned that it stopped working after you went for a tumble. Disconnect the servo and see if the steering moves freely you may have bent your ackerman plate and it could be stuck. Also bench test the servo out of the truck.

^^^ you have a keen eye for details. Yeah servo is installed wrong. That matters. Not sure if it is part and parcel to the OP's issue though.:unsure:

In the picture, you don't have anything plugged into steering (ST). You have something plugged into Auxiliary, and something plugged into throttle (TH).

Wow, you defintely covered all your bases troubleshhotting it.(y) All I would have done.
Have to think real outside the box now.:unsure: All else points to the Tx.
Just that the Tx had nothing to do with how it happened?????? Doubt that!

Swap out the servo at this point. Everything points to this right now.:cool:
Stocker servos are way underpowered and shortlived anyway. (15kg)
I've been using 5 DS3235 35kg AMZ servos across many of my 6s rigs with great results so far. One of them is almost 2 years old.
Highly suggest a 35kg servo at a minimum for any 6s rig, whatever servo you get.
Consider shimming the ServoSaver hub, tightening it up, once you upgrade your servo.
Hey thanks man only way i managed to learn any of this is by reading this forum 😁 so thanks to you all
I was using the flysky Tx and Rx at the time of the minor triple cartwheel on wet grass and suddenly no servo movement at all. So I installed the stock Rx and Tx and tried that also with no luck unfortunately,
Will definitely order that servo but shouldnt any same size servo 15kg more or less still make some kind of noise or twitch.?
View attachment 170181

Also you mentioned that it stopped working after you went for a tumble. Disconnect the servo and see if the steering moves freely you may have bent your ackerman plate and it could be stuck. Also bench test the servo out of the truck
Oyes I did disconnect and moves very freely but I will definitely bench test tonight thanks for that 🙂

Last edited:
View attachment 170181

Also you mentioned that it stopped working after you went for a tumble. Disconnect the servo and see if the steering moves freely you may have bent your ackerman plate and it could be stuck. Also bench test the servo out of the truck
Oyes I did disconnect and steering moves very freely but I will definitely bench test tonight thanks for that 🙂
Oyes very keen eye indeed 👍 That's my bad, when I took the photo i had the servo unskrewed from chassis and forgot to put it back in properly before the photo also I did disconnect it and steering moves very freely but I will definitely bench test tonight thanks heaps for that 🙂
In the picture, you don't have anything plugged into steering (ST). You have something plugged into Auxiliary, and something plugged into throttle (TH).
Oyes when I opened it for the first time that is how it was plugged in with the stock Rx and worked well. After trying different receivers and also plugging the servo into the stock Rx into whats labelled ST, Still the same issue occurring, complete throttle control no servo response 😅 its diving me up the wall! Haha thanks

Last edited:
Still having
Oyes I did disconnect and steering moves very freely but I will definitely bench test tonight thanks for that 🙂

Oyes when I opened it for the first time that is how it was plugged in with the stock Rx and worked well. After trying different receivers and also plugging the servo into the stock Rx into whats labelled ST, Still the same issue occurring, complete throttle control no servo response 😅 its diving me up the wall! Haha thanks
Still having no luck after bench testing and testing all plugs and wires =/

IMG20210923171759.jpg

View attachment 170181

Also you mentioned that it stopped working after you went for a tumble. Disconnect the servo and see if the steering moves freely you may have bent your ackerman plate and it could be stuck. Also bench test the servo out of the truck.
Hey mate after no luck after testing its got to be the esc right.?

Attachments

• IMG20210923171759.jpg
    IMG20210923171759.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Still having

Still having no luck after bench testing and testing all plugs and wires =/

View attachment 170530

Hey mate after no luck after testing its got to be the esc right.?
I don't think so. The esc only sends power to the receiver and uses the middle wire to see if the receiver is on. I would like to think that if it was the esc the receiver would not power on and you would not have throttle.

Receivers are bound to a specific transmitter, so just switching out the receiver won't fix the problem if it's bad unless you re-bind it to that transmitter.

Last edited:
Receivers are bound to a specific transmitter, so just switching out the receiver won't fix the problem if it's bad unless you re-bind it to that transmitter.
It looks like he has a STX2 and a Flysky FS-GT3. And from what he was saying his original post the car has throttle but no steering with either radio.

Still having no luck with trying several servos and yes the flysky and stx re binding them also no luck 😕

IMG20210924150931.jpg

Still having no luck with trying several servos and yes the flysky and stx re binding them also no luck 😕

View attachment 170707
As a last resort do you have a battery that you can plug into the receiver? Like a 6 cell nimh pack or one of those 4 AA battery things? Or a different esc?

Yip I do, suggesting I should use that as power straight into Rx to troubleshoot the rx or?
As a last resort do you have a battery that you can plug into the receiver? Like a 6 cell nimh pack or one of those 4 AA battery things? Or a different esc?
I did get a new 2-3s Esc today should I chuck that in and give it a go.?

Last edited:
Yip I do, suggesting I should use that as power straight into Rx to troubleshoot the rx or?

I did get a new 2-3s Esc today should I chuck that in and give it a go.?
Yup trying to eliminate the esc as the problem. If it works with the battery or other esc hooked up to the receiver then it is in fact the esc. I wouldn't try to run it in the car though just on the bench.

Sure sounds like a faulty receiver, although you’ve done the checks. Do it again, bind it, and remember when you plug in the leads, 1 to turn and 2 to burn! (Steering servo is channel one, ESC is channel two.)

May just need a new servo. Get a DS3235( 35kg) servo. The OE ADS15 ( 15kg) sucks anyway. Its too weak. The gears are crap too. Put it to rest. Move on.

https://www.amazon.com/Beffkkip-Dig...child=1&keywords=DS3235&qid=1632542466&sr=8-3
That’s my servo of choice as well, been using them for a long time and have never had to replace one yet. I want to use one in my Mojave if I ever need to replace the one that’s in there, but they say max voltage is 6.8 and I’m running 7.4. My feeling is it would probably be ok, have you run these on 7.4v?

Only in my Axial Crawler did I run this close to High voltage. 7.2v I haven't had an issue yet. But it def. runs hotter the more volts you run.

Max advertised torque is at 7.4v, and is not much more over 6v. (Transit time and Stall amps at Locked same) Most default ESC BEC voltage is typically 6.0v. Technically you wont get 35 kg ( 486 oz in.) at 6.0v. You will get 32kg( 444 oz in) (Like a Reefs 444) An insignificant difference in torque. Plenty enough for a 1/8 rig with 6.v. That's how I usually fly. Servo runs cooler. Lasts longer. No real speed increase in Transit time going to 7.4v.
I don't like increasing BEC v. I'd rather save that BEC overhead for my Rx. Keeping it at 6v. most of the time.

>>>Note, the above seller, Beckflip, says max torque in oz is 275 at 7.4v. Not correct. 35 kg/cm =486 oz/in.

These are identical Coreless servos and sold by many sellers and some of them don't give accurate voltage/torque info on them. I have 5 in my rigs and one new spare sitting here for over a year. My oldest one is almost 2 years old. Runs fine. Dependable and disposable for the price.

The specs (same servo) from this seller below (Annimos) are more complete and accurrate IMO and I use this as my guide:

https://www.amazon.com/ANNIMOS-Core...hild=1&keywords=DS3235&qid=1632574033&sr=8-10

Last edited:
Only in my Axial Crawler did I run this close to High voltage. 7.2v I haven't had an issue yet. But it def. runs hotter the more volts you run.

Max advertised torque is at 7.4v, and is not much more over 6v. (Transit time and Stall amps at Locked same) Most default ESC BEC voltage is typically 6.0v. Technically you wont get 35 kg ( 486 oz in.) at 6.0v. You will get 32kg( 444 oz in) (Like a Reefs 444) An insignificant difference in torque. Plenty enough for a 1/8 rig with 6.v. That's how I usually fly. Servo runs cooler. Lasts longer. No real speed increase in Transit time going to 7.4v.
I don't like increasing BEC v. I'd rather save that BEC overhead for my Rx. Keeping it at 6v. most of the time.

>>>Note, the above seller, Beckflip, says max torque in oz is 275 at 7.4v. Not correct. 35 kg/cm =486 oz/in.

These are identical Coreless servos and sold by many sellers and some of them don't give accurate voltage/torque info on them. I have 5 in my rigs and one new spare sitting here for over a year. My oldest one is almost 2 years old. Runs fine. Dependable and disposable for the price.

The specs (same servo) from this seller below (Annimos) are more complete and accurrate IMO and I use this as my guide:

https://www.amazon.com/ANNIMOS-Core...hild=1&keywords=DS3235&qid=1632574033&sr=8-10
Great information, thank you. I really haven’t seen any other reason to buy another servo than these, and as I said before I’ve never had to replace one ever. I have 6 trucks now, and all but my Mojave are running these. I sell/trade out trucks sometimes but I've had one of these in a basher for about a year and a half now that I beat the living crap out of and it’s never hiccuped once. Take care in setting your endpoints and run ‘em forever! Ain’t saying that a $100.00+ servo might not be marginally better (?) but I for one will almost certainly never find out. 😊

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back