Kraton Kraton 6s v3 motor upgrade selection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DESTROYER1445

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Ok I'm running a stock kraton 6s v3 with paddles at all 4 corners on a sandy track with the stock 12/50 gearing the motor gets pretty hot so I dropped to 10/50 and it got better but I'd like to get some speed back plus who doesn't want more horsepower

I've been reading a bunch of threads on the subject and it seems like to get more power and torque you need a bigger diameter and or longer motor and that usually has a lower kv so then you gear up to compensate for the loss of rpm

So my question is how do you balance getting a bigger lower kv motor with higher gearing without ending up back to square 1 as far as heat issues go

Welcome to the forum @DESTROYER1445 I would say you will want the hobbywing 4985 or Hobbystar 4092 along with max6 or mmx8s esc. If you go with the 1650kv hw you will want a 20t pinion or so. With the v3 and a 49mm can the mount will either need shimmed up or replaced with the sliding Arrma v4 Mount or someone else’s offering.
You can also just try a 4092 with the blx185 but it will most likely be too much for it with those big tires.
It’s always a balancing act. I’ve had all kinds of setups in my v3 Kraton and find two ways most pleasing. The stock setup for great handling and general bashing around and the hwmax6/4985 setup for hammering unkept places like dirt lots and construction sites. With either setup fans on the motor will knock 30f off the motor temps. The new fancy fans everyone’s buying even more. So maybe start by cooling off the blx a little and go from there.
There’s tons of info on all kinds of setups for the k6s on the forum. Poke around and you’ll see some really good ideas.

Welcome to the forum @DESTROYER1445 I would say you will want the hobbywing 4985 or Hobbystar 4092 along with max6 or mmx8s esc. If you go with the 1650kv hw you will want a 20t pinion or so. With the v3 and a 49mm can the mount will either need shimmed up or replaced with the sliding Arrma v4 Mount or someone else’s offering.
You can also just try a 4092 with the blx185 but it will most likely be too much for it with those big tires.
It’s always a balancing act. I’ve had all kinds of setups in my v3 Kraton and find two ways most pleasing. The stock setup for great handling and general bashing around and the hwmax6/4985 setup for hammering unkept places like dirt lots and construction sites. With either setup fans on the motor will knock 30f off the motor temps. The new fancy fans everyone’s buying even more. So maybe start by cooling off the blx a little and go from there.
There’s tons of info on all kinds of setups for the k6s on the forum. Poke around and you’ll see some really good ideas.
Oh I'm for sure replacing the esc probably with the castle mmx8s I'd like to stay on 6s it was hard to find a battery to fit with 6 cells I don't know about 8

I'm not really looking for more top speed but rather more torque so the motor isnt working so hard and I can get out of the hole a little quicker I'm just worried that by gearing a bigger motor back up to the same speeds I'm running now I'll just negate any benefits I get with the bigger motor

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back