Kraton Kraton 6s v4 diff/shock maintenance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim S

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Hi all

Doing some maintenance on my Kraton for the first time and was wondering about the diff oils - for general bashing on grass is 60k/500k/30k the way to go and what do I use to clean the diff internals? Also, should I get some silicon grease to lube everything up with when reassembling?

Finally, is 1k silicone oil for the shocks OK and how much will I need for all 4? Thanks for your help!!

Whilst your diff is out I would shim it with Mugen shims ? lots of YT vids and threads on this

60/500/30k F/C/R sounds great. That setup will reduce bleeding power to the front and you should steer better when cornering at low throttle

You can use degreaser/contact cleaner with an old toothbrush if you want to clean out the internals, but remember to remove both o-rings before you do! When the diff is back in, pack it up with white silicone grease or Lucas red and tacky on the main diff gear

1k cSt shock oil is the stock weight for the Kraton and is great for harsh and coarse surfaces. I used 3k front and 2k rear in mine, as I usually run and jump on smoother surfaces like grass and sometimes asphalt. I felt my Noto bottom out a bit too often even on small jumps with 1k weight

Tune it how you like it ?

Whilst your diff is out I would shim it with Mugen shims ? lots of YT vids and threads on this

60/500/30k F/C/R sounds great. That setup will reduce bleeding power to the front and you should steer better when cornering at low throttle

You can use degreaser/contact cleaner with an old toothbrush if you want to clean out the internals, but remember to remove both o-rings before you do! When the diff is back in, pack it up with white silicone grease or Lucas red and tacky on the main diff gear

1k cSt shock oil is the stock weight for the Kraton and is great for harsh and coarse surfaces. I used 3k front and 2k rear in mine, as I usually run and jump on smoother surfaces like grass and sometimes asphalt. I felt my Noto bottom out a bit too often even on small jumps with 1k weight

Really helpful - Thank you!!

Hey there yall.
Is the shimming diff totally nessisery?
Ive had a look and it kinda feels solid. No real slop in any. But i don't really know what to compare to.
My kraton is 1week old now. Have they sorted it? Each of my diffs is shimmed on the exterior already with one shim

Youz rekon go ahead and double up on them anyhoo? Ive watched so.e vids that say do it anyway unless your diffs feel totally solid..... mine do? Should i still get in or wait for a service after a good few runs?
Ive got the back diff out anyhoo coz ive destroyed my gearbox wrapping it round a tree...... do it anyway?

Any oil based solvent will clean the silicone oil. Diffs are just messy, that stuff will get on everything, and hardly anything will dissolve it except for mineral spirits, paint thinner, gasoline (obviously safety 3rd on that one), Nitro fuel, brake cleaner (not as good as you'd hope). Simple green (kind of)

Things to avoid:
Acetone. Ask anyone here what it'll do to your plastics
Electrical contact cleaner (non plastic safe one) see above
MEK
But mainly Acetone, just watch out for it. It's good for cleaning all steel parts like bearings, but not bearing shields. It'll eat the rubber right off the rings.
Hey there yall.
Ive had a look and it kinda feels solid. No real slop in any. But i don't really know what to compare to.
My kraton is 1week old now. Have they sorted it? Each of my diffs is shimmed on the exterior already with one shim

Youz rekon go ahead and double up on them anyhoo? Ive watched so.e vids that say do it anyway unless your diffs feel totally solid..... mine do? Should i still get in or wait for a service after a good few runs?
Ive got the back diff out anyhoo coz ive destroyed my gearbox wrapping it round a tree...... do it anyway?
It should have came shimmed. You should have 1 behind each planetary gear. And 1-2 on the bearing

If you have an older model with the older diffs it is. The v4 Kraton s internal diff shims are different and seem to last longer. I may have added one shim under a sun gear if it’s not too notchy feeling. Adding a shim to the one there already to the outside of the bearing on the ring gear side outdrive will push the mesh of the ring and input together might help if it doesn’t make it too tight. Don’t tighten things up too tight you will start cracking sun gears inhalf and stripping rings...

Sorry guys i think ive posted on a wrong thread!
Not trying to hijack your post @Tim S :/ ha!
If you have an older model with the older diffs it is. The v4 Kraton s internal diff shims are different and seem to last longer. I may have added one shim under a sun gear if it’s not too notchy feeling. Adding a shim to the one there already to the outside of the bearing on the ring gear side outdrive will push the mesh of the ring and input together might help if it doesn’t make it too tight. Don’t tighten things up too tight you will start cracking sun gears inhalf and stripping rings...
Ye thats the worry. I don't wanna "fix it if it aint broke" you know. Maybe ill just leave it. It runs lovely....... or it did;) untill i smashed the poor lil bugger!:)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back