Kraton Kraton 6s V5 ESC cooling fan programming port question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC617

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Sorry in advance for the very elementary question but I'm extremely new to RC's. I just bought a very lightly used Kraton 6S V5 yesterday, which is my first RC car. The previous owner had a motor cooling fan installed which I removed as currently I don't need it. That being said it's unclear to me what to do with the wire/jumper the cooling fan was connected to that comes out of the ESC. The ESC manual doesn't really get into this aspect that I could find. I was able to find unboxing videos that one of the connectors are actually plugged into the ESC cooling fan programming port. Before I did this I wanted to make sure this was correct and I wasn't shorting something out. To summarize, should the connector shown in the picture be plugged into the ESC cooling fan programming port? As bonus, any additional information on this port and wire leads would be appreciated.
Capture.PNG

Where does the other end of that y harness go (not the one going to the motor)? Is it the ESC fan connector? If so just plug that in to the ESC. The only thing should need to do is unplug the connector that goes to the motor fans. That Y connector can stay. I think these versions of the ESC came with a Y connector stock.

Also, previous owner may have installed the motor fan for extra protection while running the speed pinion. I would check what pinion you have on there if you haven't already.

Where does the other end of that y harness go (not the one going to the motor)? Is it the ESC fan connector? If so just plug that in to the ESC. The only thing should need to do is unplug the connector that goes to the motor fans. That Y connector can stay. I think these versions of the ESC came with a Y connector stock.

Also, previous owner may have installed the motor fan for extra protection while running the speed pinion. I would check what pinion you have on there if you haven't already.
Thanks for the reply. It does appear the Y connector is standard and the wire itself goes into the ESC (hard to see in the picture below). The other owner did install the speed pinion. If that's the case should I revert back to the stock pinion? Currently temps are in the teens so is it critical to have additional cooling for the speed pinion? If not, at what temps would it be necessary?
Capture2.PNG

That port has three pins coming out - for the purposes of the fan, you are just concerned with the + and - (red and black). It looks like there is a Y Cable with one going to the ESC fan and the other going to the motor fan. They way it's unplugged at the moment means that the ESC fan is not running as well.

Not sure why you don't want to run the motor fan - cooler is always better.

Last edited:
Its up to you really. You are going to run it and then want to try the speed pinion after a while. If so then the fans might as well stay on. They definitely wont hurt anything. If you want a completely stock experience, just put the 12T back on and you can take the fans off. It will likely be fine for a few speed runs with no fans and speed pinion.

That port has three pins coming out - for the purposes of the fan, you are just concerned with the + and - (red and black). It looks like there is a Y Cable with one going to the ESC fan and the other going to the motor fan. They way it's unplugged at the moment means that the ESC fan is not running as well.

Not sure why you don't want to run the motor fan - cooler is always better.
Ok thanks. So I will plug one into the ESC fan. Regarding why I removed the cooler I just assumed it was overkill and assumed it was an unnecessary additional power draw, albeit small. If the consensus is, if you have it you should use it, then I guess I will leave it installed.

With anything higher than stock a fan is highly recommended. Only way to truly judge is to get a temp gun and monitor motor temps every 5min or so. Stay below 170F. With speed pinion on grass you will be at that level in less than 5min.Keep the fan is my advice.

Better to have the fan than to overheat the motor of negligible amount of power. I have 2 high speed fans on mine and have no problems.

Back