Kraton Kraton 6s Vs. Maxx

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepnut

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Alright, I'm currently trying to make this decision. It seems from looking around, that a few of you have experience with both and possibly even own both of them.

I've been looking at a lot of YouTube videos and reading a lot of posts, but I'm seeing a lot of comparisons between the Maxx and the Kraton 4s (not interested) and the X-Maxx (can't afford) and the Kraton 6s.

Aside from size and one being a MT and the other a truggy, they seem to match up pretty well. Similar price, speed, features, etc.

So which would you choose? I realize I'm asking a bunch of Arrma loyalists, but give me reasons anyway to go with one or the other. Complicating my decision, the Kraton seems to be sold out everywhere and won't be available until June. The Maxx seems to have a bit better availability. I've had my mind made up for both of them at one point in time or another. Thanks!

I would get the K6s because the price is almost the same. Nothing against the Maxx as I wouldn't mind owning one but $529. is steep. I was able to get my K6S for $500. total, so it was a no brainer for me.

The maxx is a good truck and I think looks really good as well. It's fast (for a 4s), it looks good, it's pretty durable, and a fun basher. The only thing is that it's expensive, but the way I look at it is you're not only paying for the truck but for traxxas parts availability and the great customer support they offer. In my opinion you can't really go wrong with either the Maxx or the Kraton 6s but if it was me I'd just wait for the kraton.

You are comparing apples and oranges. They are completely different trucks in almost every aspect. You need to decide whether you want a 1/10 scale monster truck that will look and handle like one, or a 1/8 scale monster truggy (truggy with big tires and more ground clearance) that handles completely different than the 1/10 scale Maxx. Once you decide that, then either truck is a great choice for that category.

I'll try balance the polls a bit - get the Maxx because it's in stock and get one now so you can enjoy it during lockdown! :giggle:

I would get the K6s because the price is almost the same. Nothing against the Maxx as I wouldn't mind owning one but $529. is steep. I was able to get my K6S for $500. total, so it was a no brainer for me.

If I could get the 6S for $500, that would make the decision a lot easier!

You are comparing apples and oranges. They are completely different trucks in almost every aspect. You need to decide whether you want a 1/10 scale monster truck that will look and handle like one, or a 1/8 scale monster truggy (truggy with big tires and more ground clearance) that handles completely different than the 1/10 scale Maxx. Once you decide that, then either truck is a great choice for that category.

I realize they are different designs, but for what I'm looking for, they compare similarly. I want something with a top speed around 50+ that can jump well and do backflips. I would like to run it off a single battery. And I want it to be durable since I have no experience with anything faster than about 25 mph. They may be different designs and handle differently, but they both check all those boxes. That's why they made my top two.
Asking Arrma members if they would choose a Kraton over an X-Maxx is like visiting a Ferrari dealership and asking what the salesman thinks of a Lamborghini.

That's certainly the truth! I was expecting the results to lean Arrma, but I've seen others on here that have Maxx's. Mostly interested in hearing from those who have tried both.

There's a big thread on the Maxx here if you haven't already seen it.

There's a big thread on the Maxx here if you haven't already seen it.

Yep. Read through most of it. I love how the reactions started out with straight derision and then slowly turned to grudging admiration.

Honestly though, that thread kinda pushed me a bit towards a Kraton. It was cool to see that many of the fans of Arrma trucks were willing to admit that the MAXX is a good truck. Not sure you would get the same respect out of Traxxas fanboys.

If I could get the 6S for $500, that would make the decision a lot easier!

I realize they are different designs, but for what I'm looking for, they compare similarly. I want something with a top speed around 50+ that can jump well and do backflips. I would like to run it off a single battery. And I want it to be durable since I have no experience with anything faster than about 25 mph. They may be different designs and handle differently, but they both check all those boxes. That's why they made my top two.

That's certainly the truth! I was expecting the results to lean Arrma, but I've seen others on here that have Maxx's. Mostly interested in hearing from those who have tried both.

We'll save yourself some money and get either the Granite 3S BLX or the Big Rock Crew Cab 3S BLX. Both check all the same boxes.

If I had to choose between the two I'd pick the Kraton. More versatile as to where you can run it and it's got the potential to run a lot faster. This is assuming money isn't an issue. If it is, get the Maxx. You'll save on the batteries alone (6S vs 4S).

I don't have one, but quite a few people seem to like them. Personally, I'm not a big fan of plastic chassis from any manufacturer.

We'll save yourself some money and get either the Granite 3S BLX or the Big Rock Crew Cab 3S BLX. Both check all the same boxes.

I thought about it. Those two just don't do anything for me for some reason. Not sure if it's the looks or maybe the plastic shocks. Or possibly that they are only 3s.

The maxx would closer resemble an outcast 6S, but the outcast is still larger.

Still, it's running 1/10th electronics for the most part.

The maxx may be even closer in size to the tekno MT410. If I didn't have an outcast and I knew what I know now, I'd be choosing between the maxx and MT410... probably leaning heavily towards the MT410... or the maxx... lol!

OK , I'll confuse your decision more , I own the Maxx and while I don't have a Kraton 6s I have the Talion 6s which I put Backflip tires on and now sorta acts like a Kraton 6s . If you buy a Kraton 6s I wouldn't drive it with the stock radio ( do the research ) , the Maxx you can ( TQi a very good RTR radio IMO ) .
The Kraton , if you plan on bashing / jumping moderate to high , you ARE going to break a chassis brace and in doing so , you will bend the chassis , so right out of the box I'd suggest aluminum chassis braces $ 40 +/- . Also hear that they break arms until you do RPM arms . The Maxx although plastic chassis , I wouldn't worry about breaking it .
The Maxx , it is a monster truck , so you go fast across the yard/grass and turn sharp , yes it is tippy , it's gonna tip over . On dirt it slldes/drifts just fine . Run on 3s alot of fun , 4s an absolute animal ,fun wheelie machine , faster than a Kraton 6s out of the box .
The Maxx , now you want to do that widemaxx kit , expect to break the driveshafts on 4s because they are slid apart with less spline going into the other end , so $50 wide kit , better buy the metal CVD's another $120 . Thats $ 170 over the orig price . I left mine alone , its been awesome fun to drive , and I personally don't think it handles bad ( although I did change the shock fluid from 30 to 45w ) .
Because I have so many Arrmas , getting the Maxx wasn't a hard decision for me , glad I did cause I love this little truck !!
Good luck with your choice !!!!

The Kraton , if you plan on bashing / jumping moderate to high , you ARE going to break a chassis brace and in doing so , you will bend the chassis

It's jumping to the moon that causes problems, and that's probably true of just about every RTR. People see things like the Duperdash videos and think that's "normal" jumping they'll be doing out of the box . . . but that stuff is really moon-shot and requires an appropriate build to survive.

I jump, but not to the moon, and I've never had any problems across the 6S line.

It's jumping to the moon that causes problems, and that's probably true of just about every RTR. People see things like the Duperdash videos and think that's "normal" jumping they'll be doing out of the box . . . but that stuff is really moon-shot and requires an appropriate build to survive.

I jump, but not to the moon, and I've never had any problems across the 6S line.

+1 and i have a big ramp 45° angle and jump over 10m and for now i didnt broke a single thing. But i just preventively replaced chassis brace with m2c one.

I am watching this thread with interest. I am looking at 6s and ERevo2. We currently have a Summit so the two mentioned above are the same size. I have an issue with the pricing of the Maxx in that most of the stuff on it is on other similar models of theirs so I am curious as to why so expensive for recycled tech?

I don't expect an answer to that. I read that huge Maxx thread. After reading that thread last night I didnt want anymore RC's....lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back