Kraton 8S EXB 1/5 Scale (First build)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Typhon 6s
As some of you may know I just purchased my new 1/5 scale EXB Kraton Roller yesterday and I will be carrying the build out with you all here in this thread.

I feel that I have exhausted my research to an extent of feeling somewhat confident in the choices for the electronics/motor etc and am going to post them here.
As things arrive in the mail and as the build progresses I'll much appreciate any advice to assisting me with this as it is my first build out.

My cart as of now, please feel free to chime in on it as its the 'best' all around to what I can research so far. Also, please let me know (stupid question) if I shouldn't have an issue wiring the XLX2 to the Hobbywing (instead of buying the castle motor).

• Kyosho Flysky Noble NB4 TX Mini-Z EVO 2.4GHz Transmitter w/2 Receivers11$239.99
    Castle Creations Mamba XLX 2 1/5 Scale Sensored Brushless ESC11$269.95
    gensacearespammers 4s LiHV LiPo Battery 130C w/5mm Bullets & T-Style Adapter22$287.98
    Spektrum RC S9120BL 1/5 Brushless High Torque Metal Gear Servo (High Voltage)11$224.99
    Hobbywing EZRUN 5687SL 4-Pole 1/5 Scale Sensorless Brushless Motor (1100kV)11$169.99

• $1,192.90
Appreciate any input!! I'll hope to complete this build out and update it with progress pictures along the way so if anyone else decides they need a guide to follow (like I've been searching for) it will hopefully help others. I'll be waiting on some input with this cart before I pull the trigger.

Thank you!

Joshua

Why an xlx2 with a hobby wing motor? One of the benefits of going Castle is having a sensored system.
Good one! Solid point I guess. Honestly it's a newb mistake of my thought process, I was going to go with the Hobbywing motor just because it is slightly cheaper (and still highly regarded) than the castle motor. I also for whatever reason thought the 'sensored' application was due to the ESC. Silly me. I guess I'll just go with the Castle combo then instead. Thanks!!
Honestly the other reason I am a fan of what I've heard with the Castle ESC itself is its ability to cool itself. I know you can slam a big fan on anything, but that and just the overall comments/reviews of people here straight saying that at the end of the day the Castle ESC is still a better esc than say the Max5. I'm still open to ideas though.

I went with an xlx2/1100 on my Kraton. Next I have an outcast to build that I will probably go with a max5/1100 just to compare the two. Spending the extra money on a Castle esc, I would definitely spend a few dollars more to get a sensored motor to go with it.

Hmm... just a random thought but before I set my ways with 8s.... sound a bit much to just go full out with a 12S set-up??? Or is it just overkill beyond belief? Hmmmmm lol
I think you’ll break enough stuff with 8s that 12s won’t even be fun. I could be wrong, but seems a lot of people have trouble with driveshafts and big motors as is.

Good evening everyone! The following is a list of everything I officially ordered and will be the build-out/set-up on this truck. Now the waiting game for the mail! I'll be sure to upload pics when it gets here :D:)

- Castle XLX2 ESC & 2028 1100KV Sensored motor combo
- Spektrum RC S9120BL 1/5 Brushless High Torque Metal Gear Servo (High Voltage)
- QS8 Connectors
- 2028 Series Dual Fan Shroud w/Fans for motor
- Flysky Noble NB4 TX with (2) RX's
- M2C XLX2/MAX5 ESC Adapter Plate for chassis
- SMC Extreme V2 4S 14.8V 9700mAh 120C LiPo w/ QS8 Plug (2)
- (3) Sagacustom mod 1 8mm bore pinions (30T, 34T & 36T) just so I can experiment
- New ArrmaSkinz Chassis Skin :p (need any protection I can get I drive in strictly rocky/desert and don't prefer to destroy it the first day)

Hope everything goes together well and she performs as expected! Wow that was a lot of research to cram before deciding.

Happy bashing!

Prepared for the first A-arm snap! First package of the whole build arrived. Can't stand the wait for the fun stuff. Thanks to Jenny's RC for these oem replacments.

20220223_202443.jpg

Alright boys and girls so I basically just threw in the additional components of the truck to get a quick weight feel and mostly to inspect the stock suspension. I think I may have a problem :ROFLMAO: Did Arrma put the right shocks/oils on this thing with the understanding of its potential running weight being a roller??

Off hand I am uncertain what exactly the stock oil in these shocks are, or the spring rate etc. I haven't adjusted the springs themselves via the collar on the shock at all, so chime in if I should before completely changing the oil weights/springs out on these. (Again very much a newb to this) however I will say, to everyone on any thread who has ever mentioned its weight, wasn't kidding. Let's just say you do NOT want to get hit or 'hit anyone' with this rig. Feels a bit 'more' than 30 lbs to me but I don't have a scale on hand to check either.

At this point its almost impressive to even think the large motor can move this around as I've seen it do!!

Well, please take a look at the below pictures and chime in any advice in regards to the new found stance as I need it to sit as if it isn't holding all of its essentials 'when it is.' Below is simply a before and after picture of my hand supporting the front end. (Third picture is just my sloppy toss in of the components.) ** The rear end takes way less of a hit with the weight**

Thanks guys, I need to jump on this ASAP!

kratonup.jpg

kratondown.jpg

kratonraw.jpg

Update: Well I didn't get any opinions here so I just started fiddling with the shock pre-load stiffness as you can tell out of the box the front suspension was almost all the way unthreaded. So I took them down to about half way of the threads and have done a few 4-6" drops on my level surface and I think that was basically what it called for. The stance is much better now and thankfully that (for now) didn't require an entire oil weight change out off the bat.

Transmitters coming tomorrow... Hope to have it running by next weekend!

Good evening all! Just a quick question for some opinions. What pinion to go with the stock 47T Spur? Recap on system: XLX2 ESC with 2028 1100KV motor running SMC 9700 120c graphene packs.

Terrain: California desert. Soft, lots of wheel spin, excessive heat because of it (even on cool days) speaking from my 6s Typhon experience out of the box.

Bashing style: light to moderate jumping, with short distance dirt road speed runs. Jumps expected to be around 4-8ft in height with backflip abilities desired.

8mm bore Saga pinions ordered: 30T, 34T and 36T.

I've been guessing I'd start out with the lowest I have as my 30T and watch temps/driving abilities from there.

Thanks again for any insight!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back