Kraton Kraton 8s EXB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No-Idea113

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
Hi All,
I've had this Kraton 8s EXB since it was available (I was on the thankfully short-lived pre-order) and have have had some sessions with it and changes so I figured I'd post up my thoughts. This is my first Arrma, my first assembled rig (always been kits prior to this), and my first rig over 3s. Not crazy build like some because I have some other hobbies that need funding too. :D

My typical run is in large wide open hay fields and gravel / rock drives. This is the perfect enjoinment for this big rig. Previously an old 2wd Stampede was neat to putt around with but I couldn't blast through the hay field and hit berms to send it flying like I can with the large Kraton. Otherwise it is boats or crawlers mainly for me on the RC stuff.

Setup:
EXB Kraton 8s
Stock take out new electronics from an RTR;
Spectrum Firma 160A ESC
Spectrum Firma 1250kv motor
JX PDI HV20710MG Servo
Nitro Hobbies 7600mAh, 75C Muscle Packs with XT90s
m2c steering bell setup & servo axle
m2c pillow ball retainers & inserts
m2c front & rear hinge pin support blocks
Arrma ARA320473 stone guards
RPM 80812 rear arms and 80642 guards

Initial thoughts; impressive. It is huge. Disappointed it wasn't a kit. Took a lot of the initial fun out of it for me but I'm still really enjoying it.

Ran it a few times stock and had no issues just some minor annoyances. Ordered some parts to solve those. Here are my thoughts on those:

First up was to order a set of RPM rear arms so I could run their mud/stone guards (along with the Arrma front ones I already had put on for the first run). THe one thing I noticed is the rear arms tend to get packed and pelted with everything coming off the front tires and I was trying to save the creation of birds nests on the rear shafts and chips in the shocks. "While I was in there" I ordered the m2c hinge pin support blocks.

The RPM arms for me didn't completely fit correctly with the larger lower spring retainers on the EXB model I had to do some minor clearance on the arms to get them to not bind on the retainers. I assume they were designed around the smaller RTR model retainers. Otherwise they went in fine. The stone guards do wonders to stop grass on the shafts and stones against the shocks.

The m2c front and rear hinge pin supports I am glad I ordered. I can see why people have problems with the stock ones. After only 2 runs the stock retainers were wallowing out and allowed the pin to move. The m2c ones seem to have solved that problem, I'll check on them after a few more runs but they've had a dozen or so now with no issues.

The m2c pillow ball retainers made the cut too as the stock ones began to change position on me. These are a great product, stay put and work well. I will say you don't need the tool though, I have one and it still sits new in it's package, not needed.

The steering began to annoy me with all the play in it with the stock setup so I bought the the M2C steering setup. Decent finish but still left something to be desired in my opinion. I had to shim the shoulder bolts that hold the steering arms to the drag link. Without a shim the play was just as bad if not worse than the stock plastic setup. The bearings would float up and down as the pocket M2C milled was less than the height of the shoulder on the bolt. I understand that you want a little movement there as to not crush the bearings but we were talking about .65mm + of play. I used some ARA709058 .5mm shims (the same ones that are already used elsewhere in the steering) and that brought it down to about .15mm of up and down travel. Noticeable difference and much smoother steering action now.

I know everyone seems to say just jump right to the m2c chassis but the stock EXB seems to be holding up for me so far. When it doesn't I'll probably order one. I'm not launching 20' high, I think I usually stay under 8' and probably 15-20' of distance but I have had some tumbles that sent it cartwheeling down stone one wheel at a time that I was sure would break something and didn't. I credit the m2c hinge pins for holding the arms together. 30ish pounds of uncontrollable toy is an interesting spectacle. Haha.

Next steps? I have ear plugs for the center diff to hopefully help with the ballooning on the front tires so much during acceleration and I have backordered ordered some 200k, 500k, and 1mil to play with in the front and rear.

Otherwise I'm charging packs and getting it out there!

Hi All,
I've had this Kraton 8s EXB since it was available (I was on the thankfully short-lived pre-order) and have have had some sessions with it and changes so I figured I'd post up my thoughts. This is my first Arrma, my first assembled rig (always been kits prior to this), and my first rig over 3s. Not crazy build like some because I have some other hobbies that need funding too. :D

My typical run is in large wide open hay fields and gravel / rock drives. This is the perfect enjoinment for this big rig. Previously an old 2wd Stampede was neat to putt around with but I couldn't blast through the hay field and hit berms to send it flying like I can with the large Kraton. Otherwise it is boats or crawlers mainly for me on the RC stuff.

Setup:
EXB Kraton 8s
Stock take out new electronics from an RTR;
Spectrum Firma 160A ESC
Spectrum Firma 1250kv motor
JX PDI HV20710MG Servo
Nitro Hobbies 7600mAh, 75C Muscle Packs with XT90s
m2c steering bell setup & servo axle
m2c pillow ball retainers & inserts
m2c front & rear hinge pin support blocks
Arrma ARA320473 stone guards
RPM 80812 rear arms and 80642 guards

Initial thoughts; impressive. It is huge. Disappointed it wasn't a kit. Took a lot of the initial fun out of it for me but I'm still really enjoying it.

Ran it a few times stock and had no issues just some minor annoyances. Ordered some parts to solve those. Here are my thoughts on those:

First up was to order a set of RPM rear arms so I could run their mud/stone guards (along with the Arrma front ones I already had put on for the first run). THe one thing I noticed is the rear arms tend to get packed and pelted with everything coming off the front tires and I was trying to save the creation of birds nests on the rear shafts and chips in the shocks. "While I was in there" I ordered the m2c hinge pin support blocks.

The RPM arms for me didn't completely fit correctly with the larger lower spring retainers on the EXB model I had to do some minor clearance on the arms to get them to not bind on the retainers. I assume they were designed around the smaller RTR model retainers. Otherwise they went in fine. The stone guards do wonders to stop grass on the shafts and stones against the shocks.

The m2c front and rear hinge pin supports I am glad I ordered. I can see why people have problems with the stock ones. After only 2 runs the stock retainers were wallowing out and allowed the pin to move. The m2c ones seem to have solved that problem, I'll check on them after a few more runs but they've had a dozen or so now with no issues.

The m2c pillow ball retainers made the cut too as the stock ones began to change position on me. These are a great product, stay put and work well. I will say you don't need the tool though, I have one and it still sits new in it's package, not needed.

The steering began to annoy me with all the play in it with the stock setup so I bought the the M2C steering setup. Decent finish but still left something to be desired in my opinion. I had to shim the shoulder bolts that hold the steering arms to the drag link. Without a shim the play was just as bad if not worse than the stock plastic setup. The bearings would float up and down as the pocket M2C milled was less than the height of the shoulder on the bolt. I understand that you want a little movement there as to not crush the bearings but we were talking about .65mm + of play. I used some ARA709058 .5mm shims (the same ones that are already used elsewhere in the steering) and that brought it down to about .15mm of up and down travel. Noticeable difference and much smoother steering action now.

I know everyone seems to say just jump right to the m2c chassis but the stock EXB seems to be holding up for me so far. When it doesn't I'll probably order one. I'm not launching 20' high, I think I usually stay under 8' and probably 15-20' of distance but I have had some tumbles that sent it cartwheeling down stone one wheel at a time that I was sure would break something and didn't. I credit the m2c hinge pins for holding the arms together. 30ish pounds of uncontrollable toy is an interesting spectacle. Haha.

Next steps? I have ear plugs for the center diff to hopefully help with the ballooning on the front tires so much during acceleration and I have backordered ordered some 200k, 500k, and 1mil to play with in the front and rear.

Otherwise I'm charging packs and getting it out there!
Good information sir. I am thinking about doing my first build and I have looked back into past posts on this forum and I found yours. I have never done a kit and I have never done a build but the information you shared is very helpful to my situation. Hope all finds you well and if there are any updates I would love to hear them

Good information sir. I am thinking about doing my first build and I have looked back into past posts on this forum and I found yours. I have never done a kit and I have never done a build but the information you shared is very helpful to my situation. Hope all finds you well and if there are any updates I would love to hear them
Thanks!
The ear plugs (no mix, just straight ear plug after cleaning) in the center diff really helped the control and the front-only tires ballooning. I'd recommend it.
Still waiting on the backorder of diff fluid to try other options in the front and rear.

Thanks!
The ear plugs (no mix, just straight ear plug after cleaning) in the center diff really helped the control and the front-only tires ballooning. I'd recommend it.
Still waiting on the backorder of diff fluid to try other options in the front and rear.
Completely understand about the differential fluids and the backordering, I wish I had a selection so I could do some maintenance on my current rigs even though it's not really mandatory at the moment but as soon as I see any available I'm going to grab them. Love the details, the details you put in your initial post I plan on doing something similar even though I may go with a Max 5 from hobbywing. Thank you so much this will probably be a winter time project for me but I'm saving your initial post for reference for sure

what earplugs are ya'll using? I've only ever seen foam and rubber ones from work and i wouldnt want to stick them in my rc lol

what earplugs are ya'll using? I've only ever seen foam and rubber ones from work and i wouldnt want to stick them in my r
what earplugs are ya'll using? I've only ever seen foam and rubber ones from work and i wouldnt want to stick them in my rc lol
Silicone .... I agree about the ones you find at job sites.....

Silicone .... I agree about the ones you find at job sites.....
any particular ones work better than others or will any silicone earplug do the job? I've never used this particular trick and i'm going through all the different build threads to find ideas and tips on making my K8s as tough as i can for the abuse i'm gonna put it through.

any particular ones work better than others or will any silicone earplug do the job? I've never used this particular trick and i'm going through all the different build threads to find ideas and tips on making my K8s as tough as i can for the abuse i'm gonna put it through.
Suggestion.... I have learned a lot from the folks here on the Forum..... but I have ZERO experience with silicone ear plugs......

I suggest you place a post with your question...... also state you have tried searching the forum for answers but haven't been able to......

Under 'general chaos" is a good place......

Believe me, helpful folks will show up...... and respond, and I WILL LEARN SOMETHING AS WELL.

Suggestion.... I have learned a lot from the folks here on the Forum..... but I have ZERO experience with silicone ear plugs......

I suggest you place a post with your question...... also state you have tried searching the forum for answers but haven't been able to......

Under 'general chaos" is a good place......

Believe me, helpful folks will show up...... and respond, and I WILL LEARN SOMETHING AS WELL.

These are the ones I am using: https://www.macksearplugs.com/product/pillow-soft-silicone-earplugs/
I picked them up from the local market but they are available all over the place.
Pretty simple nothing to it; clean out the factory thick oil substance and pack them in.

Completely understand about the differential fluids and the backordering, I wish I had a selection so I could do some maintenance on my current rigs even though it's not really mandatory at the moment but as soon as I see any available I'm going to grab them. Love the details, the details you put in your initial post I plan on doing something similar even though I may go with a Max 5 from hobbywing. Thank you so much this will probably be a winter time project for me but I'm saving your initial post for reference for sure
Max5 with the Spectrum Firma 1250kv motor? I have the stock motor also and was weighing my options as I kind of want telemetry from the spec combo but with the max5 it’s 200amps? And leaves me with room to upgrade he motor down the line.

Max5 with the Spectrum Firma 1250kv motor? I have the stock motor also and was weighing my options as I kind of want telemetry from the spec combo but with the max5 it’s 200amps? And leaves me with room to upgrade he motor down the line.
Was going to start bare basics new EXB, I do not have any spare motors laying around, so I have my choice of motor….
Hobbywing website gives choices of 800/1100 K8 for the Max 5 if you buy their combo deal. I know you can get the firma motor instead, and there is nothing wrong with that……
In your case, I understand you want the telemetry, but you would need to stay with a Firma 160 ESC for that…..
Yes the Max5 is 200 amp, compared to the 160 for the Firma 160.

I am sure the Max 5 would be fine with your motor, but it depends how important telemetry is for you……

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back