Kraton Kraton 8s issues / troubleshooting consolidation.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cr3pitus

Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Nero
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 3s
I thought maybe it would be helpful if we start a thread specific to new K8s owner issues and troubleshooting so we don't thread hijack other ones just for specific issues. If you guys agree feel free to post any problems or dilemmas in here with me. If it's not a helpful thread we can can it.

I'll start with one I noticed after my first day of running. I have a shock body and spring that are eating away at each other pretty aggressively. No rotation of the shock body, spring, collar etc results in keeping the spring from being under pressured contact with the shock body at all times. This picture it's actually after only 20 minutes of use. Anybody else have this? Normally I wouldn't care but that's really aggressive for 20 minutes and I'm concerned it will dramatically lower the life of both the body and the spring.

IMG_20191209_172032.jpg

I thought maybe it would be helpful if we start a thread specific to new K8s owner issues and troubleshooting so we don't thread hijack other ones just for specific issues. If you guys agree feel free to post any problems or dilemmas in here with me. If it's not a helpful thread we can can it.

I'll start with one I noticed after my first day of running. I have a shock body and spring that are eating away at each other pretty aggressively. No rotation of the shock body, spring, collar etc results in keeping the spring from being under pressured contact with the shock body at all times. This picture it's actually after only 20 minutes of use. Anybody else have this? Normally I wouldn't care but that's really aggressive for 20 minutes and I'm concerned it will dramatically lower the life of both the body and the spring.

View attachment 56764
No. Definitely not normal.

I sent an email to horizon customer service early this afternoon and I will call tomorrow. If it was just scratching a tad I'd ignore it but this excessive is a bit wack, someone probably stepped in the spring before they put it on lol. Truck is down anyway because I have the whole thing taken apart preemptively for deep clean and to install bearings later this week. Maybe I'll be able to get them to send me a new shock relatively soon..

Not normal. Is the shock rod end bolted straight on the shaft? This happens when it's not. Or the shaft is bent, but that's unlikely after 20 minutes.
Yeah everything is straight except the spring, I held each piece against a hanging plumb Bob. The spring is like a banana.

Anyone wish the wires on the esc were 1” longer. Maybe my wires on my batteries are a little skimpy (both pairs). No mater what I do I can only use one of the wire clips on the straps at a time. If they where longer I could utilize both clips and sandwich the connection between them so they would never disconnect...

Anyone wish the wires on the esc were 1” longer. Maybe my wires on my batteries are a little skimpy (both pairs). No mater what I do I can only use one of the wire clips on the straps at a time. If they where longer I could utilize both clips and sandwich the connection between them so they would never disconnect...
Too long = more resistance I believe. I didn’t even run the stock ESC so I can’t tell you but didn’t appear too short.

Too long = more resistance I believe. I didn’t even run the stock ESC so I can’t tell you but didn’t appear too short.
1 inch of wire isn’t going to add much to that birds nest...I think it varies, some youtubers run their wires up over the center brace. Mine would never make it with any battery I own anyway.

Can you just replace the wiring with longer runs? I would think it would be pretty important to use those clips as intended?

Can you just replace the wiring with longer runs? I would think it would be pretty important to use those clips as intended?
The clips are nice but not required. You’d ideally want to get new 8 gauge wire and re solder to the board.

The clips are nice but not required. You’d ideally want to get new 8 gauge wire and re solder to the board.
Kind of impossible to due when they POT the entire board in epoxy for waterproofing.

I'm kicking myself for shortening my wires on my max6 in the truck I just put it in... I should have left them about 1" longer. Looked fine on the bench, but after running, the connectors are getting into places I'd rather them not be in and now I'm stuck. :(

Kind of impossible to due when they POT the entire board in epoxy for waterproofing.

I'm kicking myself for shortening my wires on my max6 in the truck I just put it in... I should have left them about 1" longer. Looked fine on the bench, but after running, the connectors are getting into places I'd rather them not be in and now I'm stuck. :(

You can remove the epoxy and re-solder but it’s a PITA. I’m pretty good at soldering but I hate it.
I'd ask for warranty. That shouldn't happen.

All kidding aside I agree. I think we all knew these early trucks would potentially have a few issues. The factory building them hasn’t cranked out too many yet. Horizon is excellent about warranty claims on things not related to electronics. My receiver was sent to me non working so I have a claim to make myself.

You can remove the epoxy and re-solder but it’s a PITA. I’m pretty good at soldering but I hate it.
I did that on my MXL-6S when it died on me just to see if the solder joint was bad or something. I had to destroy the esc case to get it out of there as it appeared to have been potted in the case. :(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back