Kraton 8S motor upgrades. Want more motor for it. It feels a little slower now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Latemodel80

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
Hey everyone. I posted a couple weeks ago about the rear snap ring in my rig that keeps popping out and letting the bearing and pin come loose in the rear diff. I have seen a couple people talk about grooving the pinion a groove a little deeper. Im going to try that when i get the time to mess with it again. Im curious on what motor and upgrades for it are out there. I don't have any jumps or poop around me. Mainly just run around the block and poop. speed runs on the road and short grass. I have been looking at the Castle xlx2. im just curious on what everyone has in there rig and how they run. when I do the upgraded engine kit id get a new controller for it just because. I have never been a big fan of the OE controllers as it is anyways. I pulled the rig out today just to see if a new snap ring was gonna stay clipped in and the truck decided to shut down and restart twice on me. The batteries were full charged too. So im not too sure as to what could have caused that. like i said in one of my other posts. I am New to Arrma. im not new to the RC car and truck. gas and electric world. I have not really messed with the truck that much this year tbh. just been having alot of poop going on. Its just one of them trucks thats fun to pull out and run... when it decides to actually run good. I think the Snap ring on the rear end has kinda put a not so good taste in my mouth for Arrma. Just been more problems with this particular truck. I like the truck and all. Its just the little things that make me wanna get something different from time to time. Other than the Snap ring problem its been a decent truck. If anyone could give me a couple pointers on these Kraton/Outcast 8s trucks. what motors are good for them. not too good to run. and so on. Im looking to end up doing the motor kit upgrade. belted street tires. and get lights for it. Its nice to get it out after a long hot day and walk around the block or some with it while its cooling down. Thank you all for all the pointers you all have given me. This group is great. I keep debating on trying to find one of the big body motors. if they make any the size or around size of a 12 oz can. haha... I know it would be more weight for the truck. Im not worried about weight. if you know of a good ESC motor kit combo. gearing and all... let me know please. like I said though. I don't have any jumps around here. Its all mainly just blacktop streets and short grass yards. wheel spinning poop. TBH I am debating on seeing if i can build a little trailer set up and see if it would pull me around a little bit. I know I would have to get more batteries for it to do that. I do have two different sets as of now. Trying to get back into the RC world. always gonna have something fun with them. I know we all want to get everyone involved in this hobby. We all know it is a pricy one too. I don't think i have ever met someone that has bought anything RC and kept it bone stock. There will always be something that we could and would upgrade on them. if and when we go and break something or whatever. better buy the better part for the replacement so it don't break again. its a never ending cycle. Hell... since the first day i bought the K8 i have been thinking about what i can get for upgrades and poop. I know that I will need to mess with steering when i do the motor upgrade. One reason id do a new controller when i do that upgrade is because of when i decide to do the lights on it. I would have the controller with programmable buttons for toggle for on and off for lights or whatever. sorry about my long ass post. thank you all again for all the pointers and help.

Hey everyone. I posted a couple weeks ago about the rear snap ring in my rig that keeps popping out and letting the bearing and pin come loose in the rear diff. I have seen a couple people talk about grooving the pinion a groove a little deeper. Im going to try that when i get the time to mess with it again. Im curious on what motor and upgrades for it are out there. I don't have any jumps or poop around me. Mainly just run around the block and poop. speed runs on the road and short grass. I have been looking at the Castle xlx2. im just curious on what everyone has in there rig and how they run. when I do the upgraded engine kit id get a new controller for it just because. I have never been a big fan of the OE controllers as it is anyways. I pulled the rig out today just to see if a new snap ring was gonna stay clipped in and the truck decided to shut down and restart twice on me. The batteries were full charged too. So im not too sure as to what could have caused that. like i said in one of my other posts. I am New to Arrma. im not new to the RC car and truck. gas and electric world. I have not really messed with the truck that much this year tbh. just been having alot of poop going on. Its just one of them trucks thats fun to pull out and run... when it decides to actually run good. I think the Snap ring on the rear end has kinda put a not so good taste in my mouth for Arrma. Just been more problems with this particular truck. I like the truck and all. Its just the little things that make me wanna get something different from time to time. Other than the Snap ring problem its been a decent truck. If anyone could give me a couple pointers on these Kraton/Outcast 8s trucks. what motors are good for them. not too good to run. and so on. Im looking to end up doing the motor kit upgrade. belted street tires. and get lights for it. Its nice to get it out after a long hot day and walk around the block or some with it while its cooling down. Thank you all for all the pointers you all have given me. This group is great. I keep debating on trying to find one of the big body motors. if they make any the size or around size of a 12 oz can. haha... I know it would be more weight for the truck. Im not worried about weight. if you know of a good ESC motor kit combo. gearing and all... let me know please. like I said though. I don't have any jumps around here. Its all mainly just blacktop streets and short grass yards. wheel spinning poop. TBH I am debating on seeing if i can build a little trailer set up and see if it would pull me around a little bit. I know I would have to get more batteries for it to do that. I do have two different sets as of now. Trying to get back into the RC world. always gonna have something fun with them. I know we all want to get everyone involved in this hobby. We all know it is a pricy one too. I don't think i have ever met someone that has bought anything RC and kept it bone stock. There will always be something that we could and would upgrade on them. if and when we go and break something or whatever. better buy the better part for the replacement so it don't break again. its a never ending cycle. Hell... since the first day i bought the K8 i have been thinking about what i can get for upgrades and poop. I know that I will need to mess with steering when i do the motor upgrade. One reason id do a new controller when i do that upgrade is because of when i decide to do the lights on it. I would have the controller with programmable buttons for toggle for on and off for lights or whatever. sorry about my long ass post. thank you all again for all the pointers and help.
If you want more power a bigger motor may be the way to go. With lower kv it would probably need upping the pinion to compensate in speed. The esc may be your problem with the shutdowns. For a bigger motor combo Hobbywing has some very large ones. Here is a link to show this motor combo in a 8s X Maxx.
(Here is the second video)

If you want more power a bigger motor may be the way to go. With lower kv it would probably need upping the pinion to compensate in speed. The esc may be your problem with the shutdowns. For a bigger motor combo Hobbywing has some very large ones. Here is a link to show this motor combo in a 8s X Maxx.
(Here is the second video)
I cant remember the motor sizes anymore. I had the TC-3 and TC-4 street cars when they were newer years ago. Im not going to take it racing and poop. Just want something to do speed runs in the short grass and street. Once I get the bigger motor ESC combo I will mess with the gearing and poop. It just feels like it has gotten a little slower since ive had it. I know that its more just me getting used to it. I do know that I will end up needing to do a wheelie bar set up on it or something to try to keep the front wheels on the ground. I also know that when i do the Belted tires it will be better

I cant remember the motor sizes anymore. I had the TC-3 and TC-4 street cars when they were newer years ago. Im not going to take it racing and poop. Just want something to do speed runs in the short grass and street. Once I get the bigger motor ESC combo I will mess with the gearing and poop. It just feels like it has gotten a little slower since ive had it. I know that its more just me getting used to it. I do know that I will end up needing to do a wheelie bar set up on it or something to try to keep the front wheels on the ground. I also know that when i do the Belted tires it will be better
I agree. It will be a lot more controllable with this belted tires. Even so, you may want to have a wheelie bar set in hand for if you do and up needing on sometime or even then. A bigger motor could probably take a much larger pinion gear. The motor in that video is extreme though. I personally like bashing and wheelies though. I have a Traxxas Hoss that I have upgraded a bunch, including making it 4s. It can do backflips in endless succession without the wheelie bar.

I agree. It will be a lot more controllable with this belted tires. Even so, you may want to have a wheelie bar set in hand for if you do and up needing on sometime or even then. A bigger motor could probably take a much larger pinion gear. The motor in that video is extreme though. I personally like bashing and wheelies though. I have a Traxxas Hoss that I have upgraded a bunch, including making it 4s. It can do backflips in endless succession without the wheelie bar.
TBH I wanted to get the XMaxx. I went to the RC shop and they did not have one on hand. So i said fiddlestick it and got the K8. I have been around racing all my life so going fast is in the blood. lol... Years ago my family had a RC track/shop in a mall. So i raced there too. litlle carpet oval track.

TBH I wanted to get the XMaxx. I went to the RC shop and they did not have one on hand. So i said fiddlestick it and got the K8. I have been around racing all my life so going fast is in the blood. lol... Years ago my family had a RC track/shop in a mall. So i raced there too. litlle carpet oval track.
I have always wanted a Kraton 8s and X Maxx. Durability wise and bashing the X Maxx is considered to be better. I take Kevin Talbot seriously unlike some people. He has legitimate good views and facts from his years of bashing. The X Maxx is great for all around use. I would have just waited, but I understand being impatient and just getting alternatives. Sadly, I am only 17 and do not have enough money to afford a larger beast of a RC. My most expensive RC is my Hoss and with how much I have spent on it I might have well saved and got an X Maxx. I had wanted a 4s Maxx but got a Hoss instead because I was too impatient to wait a extra few weeks to make more money. I love my Hoss though. I run a small 14 tooth pinion and get over 50 mph on it. I absolutely love speed and power. I still have not driven my highly upgraded mini b on an indoor carpet track. Where I live there is only a affordable carpet track a hour away.

I have always wanted a Kraton 8s and X Maxx. Durability wise and bashing the X Maxx is considered to be better. I take Kevin Talbot seriously unlike some people. He has legitimate good views and facts from his years of bashing. The X Maxx is great for all around use. I would have just waited, but I understand being impatient and just getting alternatives. Sadly, I am only 17 and do not have enough money to afford a larger beast of a RC. My most expensive RC is my Hoss and with how much I have spent on it I might have well saved and got an X Maxx. I had wanted a 4s Maxx but got a Hoss instead because I was too impatient to wait a extra few weeks to make more money. I love my Hoss though. I run a small 14 tooth pinion and get over 50 mph on it. I absolutely love speed and power. I still have not driven my highly upgraded mini b on an indoor carpet track. Where I live there is only a affordable carpet track a hour away.
i sat on debating on what i wanted. i know i wanted to go big for a truck. now its just one of them things that i gotta see what i want to upgrade on it now... im 29 years old. working my ass off to make money to blow on it. so why not haha

i sat on debating on what i wanted. i know i wanted to go big for a truck. now its just one of them things that i gotta see what i want to upgrade on it now... im 29 years old. working my ass off to make money to blow on it. so why not haha
Yep. I mowed lawns all summer and blew all of it on my Hoss. Not a larger truck like I wanted, but a pretty awesome one at that. I don't even want a Maxx anymore with all the upgrades in my Hoss.

Yep. I mowed lawns all summer and blew all of it on my Hoss. Not a larger truck like I wanted, but a pretty awesome one at that. I don't even want a Maxx anymore with all the upgrades in my Hoss.
i know how that is... by the time im done doing upgrades on the K8 i will have a brand new truck again. haha....

i know how that is... by the time im done doing upgrades on the K8 i will have a brand new truck again. haha....
Yeah. The only thing I have heard people really dislike durability wise of that truck is the suspension arms. I do not know if you have had those problems. I am still reluctant to ever go aluminum with arms because it just breaks the chassis. There are some cool upgrades people have done with that truck. I saw a dual castle creations upgrade that pulled a car and pushed a person with ease.Here is a link. Cool video.

Sucks they didn't have the XRT! that would have been the best of both worlds.

Sucks they didn't have the XRT! that would have been the best of both worlds.
That is so true. I like more bashing, but the handling is way better on that truck. All it needs to be bash ready is some Sledgehammer x Maxx tires. I think Traxxas made a good decision with something like that. Good bashing but a reliable racing vehicle as well. I think Traxxas should gear towards racing a little bit more.

That is so true. I like more bashing, but the handling is way better on that truck. All it needs to be bash ready is some Sledgehammer x Maxx tires. I think Traxxas made a good decision with something like that. Good bashing but a reliable racing vehicle as well. I think Traxxas should gear towards racing a little bit more.
yea. traxxas should gear a little more towards racing. they have good setups on the trucks they make.

yea. traxxas should gear a little more towards racing. they have good setups on the trucks they make.
At least with Arrma they have a few vehicles that are decent for racing. I have a Arrma Typhon Mega that has been upgraded to the system that is stock on a Traxxas Hoss. Going to try to run 4s after getting steel diffs. The Typhon has wide turns, but is pretty good for racing. Why Traxxas has not designed any buggies that are not the 2wd Bandit is weird. That buggy is not the greatest buggy for handling. The Typhon is a great all round vehicle.

At least with Arrma they have a few vehicles that are decent for racing. I have a Arrma Typhon Mega that has been upgraded to the system that is stock on a Traxxas Hoss. Going to try to run 4s after getting steel diffs. The Typhon has wide turns, but is pretty good for racing. Why Traxxas has not designed any buggies that are not the 2wd Bandit is weird. That buggy is not the greatest buggy for handling. The Typhon is a great all round vehicle.
I did not want one for racing just because then i would have to find a track around and that poop. i get very competitive on that kind of poop. not first your last poop. growing up around vehicles does alot for you when you get into rc too.

I did not want one for racing just because then i would have to find a track around and that poop. i get very competitive on that kind of poop. not first your last poop. growing up around vehicles does alot for you when you get into rc too.
Im the only one in my family that is really into rc. My younger sister has a mini t 2.0 though. My dad has 2 carbon cub rc planes. He destroyed them both. Very sad for him. I like to stick to rc cars because you can do more with them. I have a Stampede 2wd, Hoss 4s, Hosim 9125 dual brushed, Typhon Mega 3s and a upgraded mini b. I like the Typhon because it is intermediate. Decent for racing and surprisingly a great basher/jumper. My Hoss was good for me because of its all around use capabilities. I mainly drive off-road and do jumps and backflips so my hoss is my choice usually. They typhon is a way better vehicle for my local outdoor track though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back