Kraton 8s tire help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
I have one of my tires on my kraton 8s that has a split in the tire! I’m gonna try to repair it but wanting to know what glue is the best to use that you guys have had experience with? Also I’m looking at buying new tires as well and wanting to know if anyone has experience with these tires I found? Or have advice on great 24mm hex tires and wheels?

Attachments

• DEF33B4D-31F7-4F8B-82B8-2A26F132B4B9.jpeg
    DEF33B4D-31F7-4F8B-82B8-2A26F132B4B9.jpeg
    351.6 KB · Views: 231
  • 24BC77B4-1FF4-457B-B8E9-DA55384A6970.png
    24BC77B4-1FF4-457B-B8E9-DA55384A6970.png
    753.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 5673F013-714A-47B8-9DC1-2C874829C7EF.png
    5673F013-714A-47B8-9DC1-2C874829C7EF.png
    775.1 KB · Views: 136
When it comes to 24mm hex wheels, you'll need to pay attention to the bore hole size. Xmaxx wheels have a 12mm hole, and you'll have to increase it to 18mm. Most other 24mm hex wheels are based on a 20mm bore (namely Losi, HPI, Team Asso, etc). So if you pick wheels that are based on those brands 1/5 scale, you'll need to get an adapter to fit them on the Kraton.

As far as glue, vs beadlock. I'm a huge fan of beadlock. If you put down more power than the glue can hold, the glue won't hold up.

The pro-lines I'm running I absolutely love. The trenchers have insane grip, and I'm bone stock other than ESC tweak to 8.4v and punch to 5. Doing that and running 8s I can wheelie on demand, and I can backflip the Kraton without needing a special ramp (I got video for proof). The trenchers are also slightly larger, so aesthetically they just look more badass on the truck. Plus they give me about 1/5 more clearance so which makes crawling stairs and curbs easier without scraping the chassis. I see a lot of people run the bandlands as well. The only problem with the trenchers is they turn into pizza cutters under full power. I either need to use higher diff fluid and/or find a better foam insert to lessen the effect.

Last edited:
I don't like the trenchers. They're too heavy for most trucks like the X-Maxx with clay dough for a drivetrain. The Kraton's drivetrain can handle them but the suspension is on the weak side, especially the arms. I've been able to pull a standing backflip on both the Kraton & X-Maxx with them & both had 20mil+ in the center diff. Forget about trying to make them stop ballooning, it's not happening. They are good for wowing an audience though, but fixing the truck afterwards is for the birds.

I bought all 4 sets of Duratrax X-Maxx belted tires. They will still balloon a bit at 60+ but are perfect for bashing since they are MUCH lighter. The biggest plus is that they're under $100 a set.

Thank you all so much for the information. So they don’t make any wheels and tires that can go straight on the kraton 8s. ?

Thank you all so much for the information. So they don’t make any wheels and tires that can go straight on the kraton 8s. ?
I don't have any 1/5 wheels that uses a 20mm bore. The KD tires, MT & DB wheels, as well as the baja 5t tires all have an 18mm bore which will fit directly on the Kraton. The problem you have is that you didn't vent your tires, so it ballooned, filled up with too much air & bursted when the air couldn't escape fast enough. The hole in the rim can create suction when the wheel is spinning so stuff can get in but not out. It's even in the manual that you should vent them to expel water & debris. Better yet, a hole on the outside of the tire won't suck in stuff. Just make sure to put gorilla tape over the rim hole.

I don't have any 1/5 wheels that uses a 20mm bore. The KD tires, MT & DB wheels, as well as the baja 5t tires all have an 18mm bore which will fit directly on the Kraton. The problem you have is that you didn't vent your tires, so it ballooned, filled up with too much air & bursted when the air couldn't escape fast enough. The hole in the rim can create suction when the wheel is spinning so stuff can get in but not out. It's even in the manual that you should vent them to expel water & debris. Better yet, a hole on the outside of the tire won't suck in stuff. Just make sure to put gorilla tape over the rim hole.
Dang so it’s my bad this happened. Why if tires need vented why don’t they come that way? I figured I was good to run it as is with it being fully stock havnt even turned up punch or anything. I’m super new to all this so Sorry to sound like such a newb

Dang so it’s my bad this happened. Why if tires need vented why don’t they come that way? I figured I was good to run it as is with it being fully stock havnt even turned up punch or anything. I’m super new to all this so Sorry to sound like such a newb
My thoughts exactly. Besides a few speedrunning tires I've only seen the 50 series trenchers & Mojave tires factory vented - & the holes on the Mojave tires are really small. The vent holes on these should be 4-5mm. Also, most don't vent their tires & blow them out all the time so you're not alone. I only stared venting a decade ago (mainly thanks to Traxxas garbage) & been in the hobby for over 20 yrs. With Arrma venting the Mojave tires, I thought for sure they would vent these but no dice.

My thoughts exactly. Besides a few speedrunning tires I've only seen the 50 series trenchers & Mojave tires factory vented - & the holes on the Mojave tires are really small. The vent holes on these should be 4-5mm. Also, most don't vent their tires & blow them out all the time so you're not alone. I only stared venting a decade ago (mainly thanks to Traxxas garbage) & been in the hobby for over 20 yrs. With Arrma venting the Mojave tires, I thought for sure they would vent these but no dice.
Ok so vent the tires 4-5mm and that’s all I gotta do? Is there any videos or anything to watch on this procedure that you know of?

Ok so vent the tires 4-5mm and that’s all I gotta do? Is there any videos or anything to watch on this procedure that you know of?
I've seen ppl use leather punches & drill bits which I never tried. The manual uses scissors, don't even try it. There's the brass tubing method which I've done a few times but keep on losing the thing. Here's a video on that:

Then there's the soldering iron that I swear by since I have more than 10 of them in all wattages, & tons of tips. Same as the brass tubing. Just make sure the holes are 180 apart. In most cases, use the vent holes in the rim to line it up.

I've seen ppl use leather punches & drill bits which I never tried. The manual uses scissors, don't even try it. There's the brass tubing method which I've done a few times but keep on losing the thing. Here's a video on that:

Then there's the soldering iron that I swear by since I have more than 10 of them in all wattages, & tons of tips. Same as the brass tubing. Just make sure the holes are 180 apart. In most cases, use the vent holes in the rim to line it up.
K thank you I will have to get some brass tubing to try that

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back