Kraton 8s v2 . Centre diff oil change.WARNING..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nosh27

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
Hi guys did a diff silicone ear plug upgrade today and hardly no 2 million oil in stock central diff..see pics of what i mean..
20200624_170126.jpg
20200624_170129.jpg
20200624_170617.jpg
20200624_170623.jpg
20200624_170623.jpg
20200624_171005.jpg
20200624_173904.jpg
20200624_170122.jpg
20200624_170126.jpg
20200624_170129.jpg
20200624_170617.jpg
20200624_170623.jpg
20200624_170623.jpg
20200624_171005.jpg
20200624_173904.jpg

My front and rear diffs were even worse, thought I'd check them and good thing I did, they were pretty much empty. I will also be checking my shocks when I get oil for them in a few days. Sadly even after paying a boat load of money on a brand new car we still have to check screws, diff oils, shock oils, crazy how it's the norm and not expected of companies to be giving us these cars fully functional without any hiccups.

Hi guys did a diff silicone ear plug upgrade today and hardly no 2 million oil in stock central diff..see pics of what i mean.

Actually doesn’t look bad to me and think you have 20million hence why it looks dry. The viscosity of 2million looks more like the pic below

738C0C75-3B72-41D5-B88F-93E1DFDB787C.jpeg

Looks like they used Lebanese hash to fill that diff.

I agree with @Gookie that it’s 20 mill not 2 mill. When I took mine apart it was still the 1 mill that was advertised in the manual. I went with 20 mill fluid as opposed to earplugs.

Glad you got it sorted bro.

cheers,
kev

My front and rear diffs were even worse, thought I'd check them and good thing I did, they were pretty much empty. I will also be checking my shocks when I get oil for them in a few days. Sadly even after paying a boat load of money on a brand new car we still have to check screws, diff oils, shock oils, crazy how it's the norm and not expected of companies to be giving us these cars fully functional without any hiccups.
Yeah i know..its like something you would expect from china where quality control is non existent..i did enjoy doing it....but i will tackle the front and rear diffs next week..
Actually doesn’t look bad to me and think you have 20million hence why it looks dry. The viscosity of 2million looks more like the pic below

View attachment 86980
I stand corrected..one of the pics you can see the oil next to 1 silicone earplug..i put 3 earplugs in the diff...you would excpect it to be similar..hardly no oil used..

Trying to figure out what the problem is in here. Looks normal and like the spiders blew all the putty to the sides. Totally normal. Repack it, install it and go use it....
The picture showing the black oil and 1 silicone earplug ....is very similer. Meaning that i have put 3 silicone earplugs in the diff where as arma only put a little bit of the 20 mil oil in...you would excpect them to at least pack it in a similar way that we would...my front tyres ballooned like pizzas cutters and i was shocked becouse the v2 has 20 mill diff oil in it...it did but hardly any to stop the ballooning of the front tyres..

The picture showing the black oil and 1 silicone earplug ....is very similer. Meaning that i have put 3 silicone earplugs in the diff where as arma only put a little bit of the 20 mil oil in...you would excpect them to at least pack it in a similar way that we would...my front tyres ballooned like pizzas cutters and i was shocked becouse the v2 has 20 mill diff oil in it...it did but hardly any to stop the ballooning of the front tyres..

So you repack it back in there, run it and if its still ballooning up front take it back out and repack it again. It's hard to get the 20 mil putty in all the cracks and crevasses and if its not fully packed, it will always blow out to the sides.

I don't run any ear plugs in mine, only 20 mil and it took me 2 times to get it packed in right. I had putty spewing out the sides of the diff cover whilst tightening the screws down. That's when you know there's enough IMO.. Mine is perfect and I run 12s through it.

EDIT: And I get it! If Arrma were to pack these the right way while building them, it would take too long. They would almost literally need a machine to get diff action to blow the putty out and re-open it to re-pack it.. Too much time I'm sure..

So you repack it back in there, run it and if its still ballooning up front take it back out and repack it again. It's hard to get the 20 mil putty in all the cracks and crevasses and if its not fully packed, it will always blow out to the sides.

I don't run any ear plugs in mine, only 20 mil and it took me 2 times to get it packed in right. I had putty spewing out the sides of the diff cover whilst tightening the screws down. That's when you know there's enough IMO.. Mine is perfect and I run 12s through it.

EDIT: And I get it! If Arrma were to pack these the right way while building them, it would take too long. They would almost literally need a machine to get diff action to blow the putty out and re-open it to re-pack it.. Too much time I'm sure..
Ahhh..cheers for that...i will take it for a test tommorow and if it ballons i will repack it..cheers

Just spit balling here, but could someone mold a piece that fits perfectly? Obviously they mold the earplugs to a certain shape. Couldn’t you mold a piece roughly the shape of the void in the diff case? You could just make it a general shape if the void. You wouldn’t need to cut it for gears or anything.

Just spit balling here, but could someone mold a piece that fits perfectly? Obviously they mold the earplugs to a certain shape. Couldn’t you mold a piece roughly the shape of the void in the diff case? You could just make it a general shape if the void. You wouldn’t need to cut it for gears or anything.

Then it would be fully locked. You still want some diff action..

View attachment 86980
So does the v 1.5 come with 20 million already? I'm currently waiting on mine. Thanks.

I agree with @Gookie that it’s 20 mill not 2 mill. When I took mine apart it was still the 1 mill that was advertised in the manual. I went with 20 mill fluid as opposed to earplugs.

cheers,
kev
Was yours the v 1.5? Thanks

With this covid thing shipping is really a message , I waited 2 1/2 months for mine , I got the upgraded version ,separated chassis supports , brace on the back end of the chassis and the upgraded radio , I love this thing , with everybody makeing motor , esc and pinion changes , it seems to make more problems , from what I've been reading , I'm putting in fast Eddy bearing kit and then I'm gunna leave r be , I did blow the servo , 5 minutes out of the box , that servo saver was a female dog yo line up , got the 5 scale receiver box and put in a 5 scale savox servo , I don't wanna have to mess with that saver again , for at least a while

I watched a youtube video where a guy said that after switching to the silicone earplugs the 20mil from the factory was better.

cheers,
kev
Lebanease Hash is of very good quality lol

I watched a youtube video where a guy said that after switching to the silicone earplugs the 20mil from the factory was better.
But it's going to be more brutal for the drive line and it affects performance if you like to race around the bends. I don't think that I want my center Diff almost completely locked up TBH.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back