Kraton Kraton 8s vs 6s which to get

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kane1976

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys still trying to decide between 8s Kraton or 6s Kraton. Been away from the hobby a while and always wanted a Kraton when they first came out. Thoughts/pros and cons of each. Much appreciated.

Hey guys still trying to decide between 8s Kraton or 6s Kraton. Been away from the hobby a while and always wanted a Kraton when they first came out. Thoughts/pros and cons of each. Much appreciated.
I’d say Kraton 6s, great rig out of the box.

My Kraton 8s required some upgrades to make it fun and it still bends driveshafts occasionally.

Welcome to AF Btw!

1/8 6S.
A large 1/5 truck is super cool and does have more of a WOW factor, but it does require a larger area to be fun. If you are far away from your house/car when it breaks it can be annoying to carry due to the weight/size.
6S is more agile and can handle more abuse/bad landings. Running cost is lower.
I much prefer 1/8 scale when having the car on my workbench.
A heavy 1/5 truck is so much more dangerous compared to 1/8. You really have to respect it and be much more cautious driving fast close to yourself or nearby other people.
For me 1/8 scale is the sweetspot when it comes to RC.

Last edited:
6s
LHS talked me out of 1/5 for the above reasons. You need a lot more space to run it and will break more parts secondary to increased mass. 1/5 is so much bigger and needs a larger space for repairs and in the trunk.

K6S is the best of both worlds IMO. You get speed, agility, and durability. As @NorwegianBasher stated, it does have one heck one of a Wow factor, but it requires larger areas to run, landings from height have to be almost perfect in order to avoid breaking or bending something, and man o man is it a PITA to carry when the batteries die or something breaks. I have a K8, but i'm looking for a K6. Once I find a K6 I'm definitely going to take that one out more often than the K8. The K8 does look beastly ripping around large open terrain though!:devilish:

6s
LHS talked me out of 1/5 for the above reasons. You need a lot more space to run it and will break more parts secondary to increased mass. 1/5 is so much bigger and needs a larger space for repairs and in the trunk.
I agree with part you need more room to run. Me personally I ran 2 6s cars that were over powered. I also never came away from a day running them that I didn’t break a rear wing mount. To the point I stopped using it. When I went to the 8s after my first run I couldn’t go back and sold both my 6s kratons. The 8s jumps perfectly on its own. I only need to adjust it midair if I came off a jump the wrong way. A year later and I can go 2 or 3 sessions and not break anything on either truck if I’m not going all Tarzan on it!! Most common issue with the 8s is bent axles. But that’s usually from getting some serious air and not landing right. If you go 8s the 2 must have upgrades are aluminum diffs/trans ( I’ve had every mounting bolt eventually just loose the threads). And the power plant. I run max 5 combo In one and a max5 esc and a Tp motor. (50k rpm’s vs 35k on the hobby wing 800kv motor.). Both running 39/39 gears. Both cars hit over 60mph before I run out running room! Tp hits 65 before running out of room and I can tell it’s still got more. Again personally for me I would never go back. I wish I started here instead of the 6s. But. That’s my opinion!

I agree with part you need more room to run. Me personally I ran 2 6s cars that were over powered. I also never came away from a day running them that I didn’t break a rear wing mount. To the point I stopped using it. When I went to the 8s after my first run I couldn’t go back and sold both my 6s kratons. The 8s jumps perfectly on its own. I only need to adjust it midair if I came off a jump the wrong way. A year later and I can go 2 or 3 sessions and not break anything on either truck if I’m not going all Tarzan on it!! Most common issue with the 8s is bent axles. But that’s usually from getting some serious air and not landing right. If you go 8s the 2 must have upgrades are aluminum diffs/trans ( I’ve had every mounting bolt eventually just loose the threads). And the power plant. I run max 5 combo In one and a max5 esc and a Tp motor. (50k rpm’s vs 35k on the hobby wing 800kv motor.). Both running 39/39 gears. Both cars hit over 60mph before I run out running room! Tp hits 65 before running out of room and I can tell it’s still got more. Again personally for me I would never go back. I wish I started here instead of the 6s. But. That’s my opinion!
I agree...I've shelved my k6 after I got my O8 exb.
I also agree about the diff housings. The bolts going into plastic housings eventually blow out after awhile...actually not even that. They blow out fairly fast. I don't know why arrma uses fine threaded bolts for them. If they were smart they would use coarser and more aggressive threaded bolts for the bulkheads. I've replaced all my bolts from the chassis to the housings with #14 lag screws and #10s for the top plate and a-d blocks just to keep it together. So far it works. Otherwise I gotta throw down $300+ for vitavon goodness...then another $250 for an M2C chassis. S h it ads up fast, but it's fun as all hell....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back