Kraton 8S XBE Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yess

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
Hi all,

I thought I’d start a build thread as I’m already in the process of looking at improvements before the truck arrives and would like some advice.

The basics: Kraton 8S XBE, XLX2 combo with 1100 motor.

The following I could use a little help with:
  • Pinions to grab - I was thinking of getting a range of 25-30, running 47t spur, as I want punch more than top speed?
  • I’m in Australia, so shipping takes a while at the moment, is it worth grabbing the M2C chassis and having it on hand? Anything else I should grab from M2C? Any other upgrade/option parts I should grab?
  • I’m looking at the best value for money lipos; China Hobby are almost half the price of the Turnigy Panthers for me... but are either worth the money?
  • Servo recommendation.. I’m running Futaba, and like Savox, but open to other options?
I’ll have pics of the truck Tuesday... and then the electronics not long after. Thanks in advance!

M2C chassis 100% worth it.
CNHL and TGPs are good, but if you aren't going for top of the top not necessary. Check out the lipo thread to see which inexpensive 4S packs people are running.
As for servo, the primal 1373 seems to be the favorite here on the forum... When you can find them in stock...

Thanks for the information.

If there isn't a huge difference between the CHNL and the Turnigy batteries, I'll likely grab those, they are a good price point for me here in Australia.

I can also get the M2C chassis - may actually run that from the start, rather than the Arrma one - unless there's a good reason not to.

Thanks again, be happy to hear any other things I should grab!

Finally arrived!
Now just waiting on the XLX2 combo...!

I think I've decided to run Zeee batteries, I can get the 9000s for a good price.

Question - I was planning on running the Castle Creations 6.5 plugs... Any better option?

I also have the M2C chassis on the way... I think I'll strip the truck and run the M2C chassis from the start. One of the things that bummed me a little about the Kraton chassis is that the graphics seemed printed on rather than deeply etched. I think I'll use the Kraton Chassis as wall art in my workshop.

More pics and updates to come in the next few days!

20210505_120922.jpg
20210505_121106.jpg
20210505_122223.jpg
20210505_144215.jpg

I would not waste money on a Zeee battery. There is a reason why its cheap. I would stick to gensacearespammers, SMC and CNHL.

If you are gonna send it and already have the M2C on the way I think its a good idea just to use it from the start. I bent my EXB chassis on the first day.

I have been blown away by the quality of the less expensive batteries, as of late. Zeee, Powerhobby, Hoovo, HRB. All have had plenty of punch, and very close to advertised capacity, some even exceeding. Sure, they aren't as good as the top end packs, but for 1/3 the price they are at least 80% as good for bashing. The only faults I have experienced from the dozen or so cheap batts I have are cold sensitivity, and longer charge times. Shoot, most of the Hoovos I've tested have been sub 5mOhm IR with an ES of less than 1.

Powerhobby batteries are good in my k8s. Pretty much ruined all other 4s packs I’ve tried. You will find with the setup you have batteries will be the weak link, in the electrics anyway. You will find other weak links lol. I run the mm8s in mine with 6.5mm plugs. I wish it had 8.5mm. If the xlx2 has provision for bigger plugs go with them over the 6.5mm. It’s a really fun but frustrating car. Sometimes I just run my others and take a break from it.

If you are gonna send it and already have the M2C on the way I think its a good idea just to use it from the start. I bent my EXB chassis on the first day.
Yeah that's the plan - I have the car stripped already and just waiting on the chassis to arrive!

As to the batteries, yeah, it is a tough one - seems like I shouldn't be cheaping out on the battery side since I have already invested so much in the truck. Thing is, there is so much information about any brand of battery out there that you can find good and bad reviews for all - so then it comes down to buying four batteries for the price of two kind of scenarios.

It’s a really fun but frustrating car. Sometimes I just run my others and take a break from it.

Do you mean because you are breaking things all the time? Or?

20210506_171516.jpg
20210506_172317.jpg
20210506_165356.jpg
20210506_165351.jpg

Do you mean because you are breaking things all the time?
Yes, mostly arms and about every drive pin. Sometimes tires fly apart or a swelled over drawn 4s pack. If I take it out 3 times I might get thru a whole pack once without something happening. Fixes can be costly as well.
It's a lot of fun though...

Yes, mostly arms and about every drive pin. Sometimes tires fly apart or a swelled over drawn 4s pack. If I take it out 3 times I might get thru a whole pack once without something happening. Fixes can be costly as well.
It's a lot of fun though...
Yeah, makes me wonder if I should have gone the 6S XBE - but my property is pretty wild, rocky, longer grass etc.

Yeah, makes me wonder if I should have gone the 6S XBE - but my property is pretty wild, rocky, longer grass etc.
I don't think you'll regret it. In unkept places like dirt lots, and moto x tracks it is really a lot of fun. I bought mine the day of the rtr release. It's gone through a lot of changes. I made my own chassis, bracing system (avatar) and put in different electrics. Rtr was under powered and the servo was a joke. Exb is the way to go on this rig. Hope you like it!

Thanks, Jimbobjr... I appreciate that.

Batteries are doing my head in... in my race packs, it's easier to buy the best, because at 2s and 5000mah even the best of the best is "cheap" in relation to the 4s. Here in Aus, four higher-end batteries will run me the same price as the EXB (about $1000).

Last edited:
Been a while since I updated this build... but I have been waiting on the M2C chassis... it took a month intransit to get to me here in Sydney, Aus (no fault of M2C... they were great, just the time we are living in!). Question... do most run the braces? Or a selection of braces? Or just run the chassis??

20210604_135438.jpg

Got the XLX2 soldered up... went with Zeee batteries, got a good price on the 9000mah, and the Hi-Tec D845 Servo.

20210604_140412.jpg

20210604_140417.jpg

This weekend is about bolting it all back together - getting the grease in the spots where it should have gone from the factory, and making up some charge leads for the Castle Creations connectors. Anyone have any reason why 13g wire wouldn't be thick enough for charging 4s at 9amps? I know the other direction, drawing amps, you need thick wire (XLXS is 8g!).

Cheers!

Question... do most run the braces? Or a selection of braces? Or just run the chassis??
I think most of us, myself included run the braces that come with the M2C chassis.

btw: Nice build! 🤙

Thanks for that!

Ran into a small problem - it seems you can't run the rear M2C brace and the brace between the centre diff tower and the rear diff section of the truck.

Or am I just missing something obvious?

20210605_114703 (1).jpg

20210605_114717.jpg

I don’t use that arrma brace, not necessary imo..
Thanks again, Hammer Down.

I do see the benefit of it - hard impacts on the rear - some of the force distributed to the plastic tower then into the chassis.

But it does look cleaner without it!

20210605_150059.jpg

I’ve never had a problem without it, and I launch mine into the next solar system.. 🤪

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back