Kraton body swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a2lowvw

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 8S
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Outcast 8s
  6. Talion EXB
  7. Typhon TLR
  8. Vorteks
The kiddo and i were out in the garage the other night and he slapped my coke crawler body on my 6s Kraton. It for much better than we were both expecting. Got online and saw the lhs had on in stock. Waited a day to see if I still wanted it and ended up bringing it home. I couldn’t find a paint that seemed to match so I just kept it close.

D7159ECD-1DF0-42DD-8586-67771F228DB8.jpeg

Body is from a 1/10 scale Element Enduro Knightrunner. Had to swap out the rear body mount posts with some longer ones and I raised the front 1 hole to the highest setting. May put a little longer post in the fron to raise the body a little more.

That looks fantastic! Tell me, are crawler bodies different from basher bodies? I mean are they thinner plastic or thicker plastic?
Thicker. At least proline are... I've been running crawler bodies for a while now.

That looks fantastic! Tell me, are crawler bodies different from basher bodies? I mean are they thinner plastic or thicker plastic?
Same thickness on these as stock. The bed and cab are actually 2 pieces with 6 screws and a pair of plastic L shaped brackets to support it. Since I left the windows clear I did some light tape and shoe goo on the roof, hood and doors. I may have to stuff a big foam block between the roolbar and roof for serious bashing.

Same thickness on these as stock. The bed and cab are actually 2 pieces with 6 screws and a pair of plastic L shaped brackets to support it. Since I left the windows clear I did some light tape and shoe goo on the roof, hood and doors. I may have to stuff a big foam block between the roolbar and roof for serious bashing.
The roolbar?

Body is from a 1/10 scale Element Enduro Knightrunner.

I know this is an older thread, but I was wondering if you were able to buy that body separately? Or I think what you were saying is that it came off of another RC car / you didn't just buy the body. I think what you've done looks really great. I wonder if it could hold up to a little bit of bashing.

I see this version from Tower Hobbies.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/produc...MIh8i6tNfW-AIVscmUCR2qHgf4EAQYASABEgJo-PD_BwE

Different topic, but I've also been wondering if this short course body could fit a Kraton 6S without having to go too crazy on the mods. Even if it could be made to fit, maybe it wouldn't so good once it's modded enough for the tires to clear. (but then again, maybe it would look pretty good)

I've been kind of struggling with Kraton 6S vs Mojave 6S if we were to add another RC car to the family. The looks of the Kraton vs Mojave is part of what's holding me back on the Kraton 6S, but otherwise I think I would choose it.

https://www.amazon.com/Concepts-Ill...006KDKXGW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

J_concepts_0200_illuzion_silverado.PNG

I know this is an older thread, but I was wondering if you were able to buy that body separately? Or I think what you were saying is that it came off of another RC car / you didn't just buy the body. I think what you've done looks really great. I wonder if it could hold up to a little bit of bashing.

I see this version from Tower Hobbies.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/produc...MIh8i6tNfW-AIVscmUCR2qHgf4EAQYASABEgJo-PD_BwE

Different topic, but I've also been wondering if this short course body could fit a Kraton 6S without having to go too crazy on the mods. Even if it could be made to fit, maybe it wouldn't so good once it's modded enough for the tires to clear. (but then again, maybe it would look pretty good)

I've been kind of struggling with Kraton 6S vs Mojave 6S if we were to add another RC car to the family. The looks of the Kraton vs Mojave is part of what's holding me back on the Kraton 6S, but otherwise I think I would choose it.

https://www.amazon.com/Concepts-Ill...006KDKXGW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

View attachment 226918

I don't have that short course truck but I can try a short course truck body on the kraton and see how it fits. I think the fenders are going to be too wide and wheel base is too short to really fit but I can mock one up tonight. The Knightrunner body you posted is what I used. I left the windows clear but still has some drywall tape/goo combo on the panels. I had to trim slightly the pieces where the bed and body match to fit over the taller outcast side guards that are on my Kraton. Otherwise it was a pretty simple drop on and adjust the body pin height so it sorta matched.

@a2lowvw That is a great paint job on the Knightrunner body. Sure, if you can try to mock that up with the short course body just to get an idea of how it would look, that would be greatly appreciated. But I don't want to put you out any significant effort (so no problem if you decide to table it). Maybe of some interest to you or others as well, to see how it looks. I've been struggling on deciding our next RC car, kind of all over the map between Kraton 6S, Mojave, and Notorious 6S. Leaning towards the Kraton, but looks-wise I like the other two better. That Knightrunner body looks great on it, so just knowing that option is there (with some effort) helps a lot.

It will be no trouble. If you are looking for a 6s truck I would really look at all the options and try to decide what you want in advance. My first 6S truck was a Kraton and now the kiddo and I have a pretty diverse cllection of rc's and seem to be honing in on what we both want out of specific rigs. The Kraton does everything well but isn't really the best at anything. The Noto/Outcast are better jumpers, the Mojave is an awesome basher and racer, the Talion is a great short grass or dirt track racer (jumps okay with a tire swap but lets be honest most rc's benefit from a tire change). The fireteam is a pretty stout chassis that is sorta like the Kraton that it tends to do ok at everything, it's a little more stable at speed and not quite as good of a jumper. The Typhon can truely be the one car that does it all, great at racing, jumps well and with some slicks it does really good on pavement courses. I seem to be gravitating towards the longer chassis trucks with better handling. I have an 8S outcast as my main jumper and I recently built a couple Tekno's for track racing and a better handling basher than the kraton. There are a ton of bodies that will fit the Kraton with very little effort, if you want a solid all arounder it is a good place to start. Since it does sit a little higher than many of the other Arrma 6s cars it does do better in thick grass or really rocky environments. Each chassis has it's pro's and con's, lot's of people will tell you to buy their favorite chassis but do your due dilligence and try to limit the expensive mistakes.

Alright @crunchtime here are some pics. A SCT body could work but it’s going to require lots of trimming. The Kraton body is heavily trimmed from the factory and it really ends right at the rear shock tower where both of the other bodies extend over the tower. The Sct body and the Knightrunner are considered 1/10 scale bodies.

25C559C5-4CDC-4E81-8619-9C6D2DEA2B85.jpeg
FEEDE69D-1056-4027-82A0-D52F45B62CAB.jpeg
6DC60662-16BA-4FC8-9AE3-7D790E7395DC.jpeg
E33E94BE-7236-492D-B98D-5CB4B4ADAC32.jpeg

@a2lowvw , hey that's awesome. Thanks so much. I think that's a really good look. To your point, by the time all the necessary trimming is done, it might not look anything like this. But at least on the shelf it would look great. If I end up getting a Kraton, I'm going to try something like that I think.

Also thanks for the other advice. The whole wheelbase thing, it makes for tough decisions. We got a Vorteks first, and more recently a Granite. Since I don't always do a good job keeping our grass cut short, the Granite has been more of our go-to this summer. I think they're both great. The Granite is just pure fun. I was pretty content with just these two, until these darn sales recently on 6S, it's given me the bug again. The 3S Granite is already pretty crazy to handle (which I like sometimes) with it's short wheelbase. Seems like a lot of time the front tires are just grazing the top of the grass, making it not turn so well (which I don't like). I would think the Outcast or Notorious would have that same issue or even worse. But I do like the fact that you can have a lot of fun with them without needing a giant field. I just learned this evening that the Outcast 6S BLX has AVC (the Notorious doesn't), which could come in handy on some surfaces (but not when jumping). I'm also going to take another look at the Typhon 6S. Anyway, thanks again.

the Granite is much like a 3s version of the Noto/outcast. My kiddo started with a Granite and they are great for smaller spaces. All in all the 6s lineup is a solid place to be. They seem to be more durable (to an extent) but also a little higher cost of repairs. For the most part we have only done upgrades when things were worn or failed but like anything there are a few exceptions.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back