Kraton Kraton Cleaning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wael

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
What is the best way to clean my kraton as some parts start to rust!
Does WD40 have effect the parts or i can use it?

Attachments

• 20170308_224553.jpg
    20170308_224553.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 167
  • 20170306_222319.jpg
    20170306_222319.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 130
Here is the pertinent quote from that thread.

!!!Public Service Announcement regarding WD-40!!!

This post is not directed an any one person. Across the interwebs, I see people misusing WD-40 in a way that pretty much GUARANTEES failure of the bearings / chains / metal parts in question.

short version -
WD40 is NOT a lube. It is for Water Displacement - hence the name WD-40. After you use WD-40 on any metal part, you MUST follow up with a proper lubricating oil.

Longer version -
Here is the problem. WD40 evaporates in a day or three. But first, it does a great job of removing any water, grit, salts, oils, and grease from the part in question. So - if you blast a bearing with WD-40, it will get clean, but soon it will have no lube. Most people, I think, understand that no lube = quick death for bearings.

If you want to clean you RC car with water, and follow up with WD40, that is fine (the WD 40 will get rid of the water that can damage the bearings), but before the next run you MUST re-oil all the bearings what were washed.

this concludes the public service announcement.

Jerry

Gibbs Brand does everything WD-40 is supposed to do. It can be used on any metal and as a surface treatment on glass, leather, plastic, rubber, wood. Put those rusty parts in Gibbs for 2 days, you will be good.

Www.getgibbs.com

I've had jet skis for over 10 years, and lots of people unknowingly use WD-40 to spray down the engine bay in attempt to repel water and salt corrosion. It's a fact that WD-40 will, over time, break down rubber components like hoses, etc. I use CRC 6-56 lubricant on my engine bay, as it is recommended by a few PWC manufacturers. It's great for marine use, but not sure about cleaning RCs. I just break down as much as I care to and wash or wipe them down. Not much to it with the Kraton, 4 screws or so and front or back assemblies come right off. I like the simplicity of the platform, especially compared to Nero.

Hi,

New to Arrma but definitely not new to RC.

I've always used a silicon lubricant spray after cleaning. It puts a nice protective layer on everything and makes subsequent cleanups way easier. All you've got to do is blow it off with some compressed air and re-apply the silicon.

I've had jet skis for over 10 years, and lots of people unknowingly use WD-40 to spray down the engine bay in attempt to repel water and salt corrosion. It's a fact that WD-40 will, over time, break down rubber components like hoses, etc. I use CRC 6-56 lubricant on my engine bay, as it is recommended by a few PWC manufacturers. It's great for marine use, but not sure about cleaning RCs. I just break down as much as I care to and wash or wipe them down. Not much to it with the Kraton, 4 screws or so and front or back assemblies come right off. I like the simplicity of the platform, especially compared to Nero.

Try salt away on the jet ski also.... I'm also a fan of the CRC spray. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Wd = water displacement...Who knew? Thanks
Actually it was being developed as rust prevented for the Areo Space Industry the WD stands for Water Displacement and the 40 stands for the chemists 40th attempt at development, so literally the name stands for Water Displacement 40th attempt. Lol

Actually it was being developed as rust prevented for the Areo Space Industry the WD stands for Water Displacement and the 40 stands for the chemists 40th attempt at development, so literally the name stands for Water Displacement 40th attempt. Lol

Formula 409 must have blown the annual R&D budget!

Hi,

New to Arrma but definitely not new to RC.

I've always used a silicon lubricant spray after cleaning. It puts a nice protective layer on everything and makes subsequent cleanups way easier. All you've got to do is blow it off with some compressed air and re-apply the silicon.

Can you recommend a silicon spray?

I usually WD-40, then air, then manually re-lube stuff. Would love to do that less often!

What is the best way to clean my kraton as some parts start to rust!
Does WD40 have effect the parts or i can use it?
I personally don't like using regular WD-40 as the oily film tends to attract dirt and can really speed up the failure of non sealed bearings, Especially arrmas junky bearings. Any kind of silicone lube does a better job of repelling dirt and will keep the rust at bay and theirs several makers. Wd-40, pb blaster, etc. My latest purchase that im trying is this 3 in 1 product and i expect good results. Ive used my bikes chain lube before which is essentially the same thing. After each run i like to use a cheap paint brush to wipe off the dust/dirt and if it isnt empty i like to use a can of compressed air to at least blow my bearings off.

Attachments

• 20170305_171106.jpg
    20170305_171106.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 52
Formula 409 must have blown the annual R&D budget!

Can you recommend a silicon spray?

I usually WD-40, then air, then manually re-lube stuff. Would love to do that less often!

Honestly I don't stick to any particular brand. I just get whatever the auto parts store has that they use for reinstalling window trim.

I just sprayed down a bunch of stuff with Gibbs Brand. Just simply awesome stuff. I use a small amount on RC's. Just shoot a little on a toothbrush, hit the bolts, steel parts and plastic. Wipe it with a rag. There is no nasty smell at all, nothing gets rusty.

Attachments

• IMG_0852.JPG
    IMG_0852.JPG
    318.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0853.JPG
    IMG_0853.JPG
    297.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0854.JPG
    IMG_0854.JPG
    325.3 KB · Views: 88
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back