Kraton Kraton cvd's on rear drives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kauaiguy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Iv'e been running the Kraton front cvd's on the back end of my Kraton,bolt on with no clearance problems.They have been holding up great and still zero wear on the diff out drives.I had heat hardened the diff out drives to see if they have less wear and after 8 hrs of run time with a 4092/1730 motor i can say it was a success!Some Kratons may not have enough clearance to run cvd's in back,install one and move the suspension around spining the wheel to make sure there is no binding!

Interesting, I tried the same thing with my typhon (shorter suspension parts) and the CVDs were the wrong length for the rear. Not too far off, but enough that it wouldn't work.

Heat the out drive till it turns orange and quench in used motor oil.

Heat the out drive till it turns orange and quench in used motor oil.

I only got wear on one stock outdrive....right rear. So I only put a hardened one in that location.

The pins on my center driveshafts are getting worn, however the outdrives are fine. I may mess around with the pins to see what can be done there. Idk yet.

Someone already told me that he could not get them out. I have new driveshafts In a bag so I'll try something when I go to replace them. Or maybe a Durango has a better set of shafts that fit ? Idk.

Last edited:
The drive shaft pins will come out,but they need to be heated till orange and then press right off.Must also reheat with new pin and peen the end with a hammer.Only have done 1/10 so far so should work.

IMG_0374.PNG
I'm going to give it a try but I'm going to just purchase a tool of some sort rather than using heat.

Last edited:
I only got wear on one stock outdrive....right rear. So I only put a hardened one in that location.

The pins on my center driveshafts are getting worn, however the outdrives are fine. I may mess around with the pins to see what can be done there. Idk yet.

Someone already told me that he could not get them out. I have new driveshafts In a bag so I'll try something when I go to replace them. Or maybe a Durango has a better set of shafts that fit ? Idk.
I did that in a pinch on my Typhon until my new cvd's came. I nocked it out with a punch and the punch went into the hole but it was a good fit, so I pushed it through and cut both sides to length with a dremel...
20161209_154057.jpg

I did that in a pinch on my Typhon until my new cvd's came. I nocked it out with a punch and the punch went into the hole but it was a good fit, so I pushed it through and cut both sides to length with a dremel...
View attachment 5073
Oh cool.... maybe I'll just rig up a tool and get some pins.

Oh cool.... maybe I'll just rig up a tool and get some pins.

Maybe its easier to wear out pins than diff cups. Are the softer pins keeping the diff cup in better shape ? I'm not really tearing up diff cups but the pins get flat. A bag of pins is way cheaper than diff cups I would guess. I have had only one worn diff cup out of all of them. The pins look more worn than the diff cups.

You could put the pins in the freezer for a while before pressing them in maybe. I did this many times while assembling transmissions in full size vehicles.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back