Kraton diff gears breaking. Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be fair speed runners put a lot less stress on the diffs than a basher. Your 50mph setup is probably on 5 to 10 times as much stress as their 100-120mph setup because you’re bashing. They’re just doing a slow acceleration to top speed, very little torque actually on those diffs.
Sure but the raw horsepower, rpms and resistance is still there in huge amounts.

Its ridiculous that these need to be "babied" to last. I bought these trucks hoping the diffs would be rock solid and truly built for 6s.

Sure but the raw horsepower, rpms and resistance is still there in huge amounts.
Correct you are, just realize that rpms, horsepower and resistance have no effect on drivetrain wear. It’s the torque that does it. Same goes for 1:1 cars and trucks. Have a 2000 horsepower engine with 1 lb-ft of torque (even though it’s impossible) and it’ll get down the drag strip with the pedal to the metal while using diffs made of plastic and driveshafts made of twigs.

Its ridiculous that these need to be "babied" to last. I bought these trucks hoping the diffs would be rock solid and truly built for 6s.
Yeah. I saw this coming. That said I just bought a senton because I knew that, being a much smaller truck, it’d be a lot lighter and have less grip due to thinner tires so my diffs should hold up.

Does anyone make a good truck with tough differentials? I mean I thought that's what I was originally buying but man was I wrong.

It's been a while since I've visited this thread that's filled with stupid ? Best line is the one about not being able to handle thick center diff fluid. Holy crap ?

It's been a while since I've visited this thread that's filled with stupid ? Best line is the one about not being able to handle thick center diff fluid. Holy crap ?
Yeah I ran 20 million in my center for 20+ packs on 6s and it never had an issue.

I have since had much better experiences with these things. Course it's so damn hot out I'm not running as much as I'd like to.

Does anyone know, if the hot racing aluminium bulkhead helps prevent the diff gear breakage ..please
Yes it will depending on your driving style
Try lowering your diff fluid weights to 50k front 300k center and 30k rear. I'm currently running 50/1Mil/30k rear

Does anyone make a good truck with tough differentials? I mean I thought that's what I was originally buying but man was I wrong.
Team Redcat TR-MT8E.

Well I have run at least 50 6s cycles with 250k, million, 500k I speed run, bash and fly to the moon.
Snapped drive cups, sheared cvd in half,ripped turnbuckle out and bent shock towers more then a few times. All on punch 9... all diffs are fine. These things are tough. Only time anything has ever broken was bad landings or cartwheeling. Which is obviously driver error. For the $550 price range. Couldn't ask for a better truck.

My front diff "big gear" ate some teeth and just replaced this afternoon. I didn't change diff fluid yet but did do bearings. I blame it on punch 9 but we'll see what happens this week after I took it down to punch 5 today. Next break I'll do 300 center and 50f and 30r as mentioned above. I also don't land on throttle but I do jam it from start. I'm also running Low Profile Backflips now for maybe less weight. All on my v3 Noto. No other truck has given me any trouble with diffs and I jam the throttle on them just the same.

My front diff "big gear" ate some teeth and just replaced this afternoon. I didn't change diff fluid yet but did do bearings. I blame it on punch 9 but we'll see what happens this week after I took it down to punch 5 today. Next break I'll do 300 center and 50f and 30r as mentioned above. I also don't land on throttle but I do jam it from start. I'm also running Low Profile Backflips now for maybe less weight. All on my v3 Noto. No other truck has given me any trouble with diffs and I jam the throttle on them just the same.
Just like a real diff in a rear wheel drive vehicle... Any diff or bearing damage you should clean and replace any broken parts and add new fluid brother ?any remains of broken teeth/bearings will be in the fluid! Best to start freash?
Well I have run at least 50 6s cycles with 250k, million, 500k I speed run, bash and fly to the moon.
Snapped drive cups, sheared cvd in half,ripped turnbuckle out and bent shock towers more then a few times. All on punch 9... all diffs are fine. These things are tough. Only time anything has ever broken was bad landings or cartwheeling. Which is obviously driver error. For the $550 price range. Couldn't ask for a better truck.
To each there own bro. These are heavy weights in front and rear?

Just like a real diff in a rear wheel drive vehicle... Any diff or bearing damage you should clean and replace any broken parts and add new fluid brother ?any remains of broken teeth/bearings will be in the fluid! Best to start freash?

To each there own bro. These are heavy weights in front and rear?

I understand completely and I didn't replace fluid internally because I felt that the broken external big gear wouldn't cause too much harm...even though I know I should've done it all inside and out. I did though clean all that stuff and removed old grease from the bulkhead / gearbox and replaced with new grease outside. I know it'll happen again in time and I have every intention of doing it correctly when it does. I do appreciate doing things right the first time and hope it doesn't bite me in the ass sooner than later this time. I really missed running the Noto and that's my only (bad) excuse. lol

How are you guys keeping dirt out of your diff cases i feel like that has alot to do with the wear then resulting in breakage my diff cases used to be packed with dirt i started putting a bead of grease around the cover it helped a little but wayy too messy.

I understand completely and I didn't replace fluid internally because I felt that the broken external big gear wouldn't cause too much harm...even though I know I should've done it all inside and out. I did though clean all that stuff and removed old grease from the bulkhead / gearbox and replaced with new grease outside. I know it'll happen again in time and I have every intention of doing it correctly when it does. I do appreciate doing things right the first time and hope it doesn't bite me in the ass sooner than later this time. I really missed running the Noto and that's my only (bad) excuse. lol
All good brother! ??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back