Typhon Kraton diffs in a Typhon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gloggen

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Tried to search for this but haven’t been able to find an answer -

Could I somehow switch out the diffs in a Typhon for Kraton diffs (front/rear, I know the mid is the same, right?)?

I’m asking because I just picked up a second hand Typhon that needs some work and I have a couple of Kraton f/r diffs lying around.

Thanks!
/Joel

Physically the F & R diffs are the same.
Kraton, Talion, Outcast are spiral cut gears with 10/43 ratio. Typhon, Senton are straight cut gears with 13/43 ratio. So you need the Kraton input gear also. It is a reduction in ratio so you will need to go up 4 teeth on the motor pinion to compensate.
The center diff is the same.

Last edited:
Edit....Ignore me.

I didn't read the OP clearly enough

It's actually the other way. You'll need to drop 4 pinion teeth on the motor pinion to compensate for the 13/43 gearing in the Typhon/Senton gear set.

Let's assume you're running the stock 12 tooth pinion in the Kraton. If you were to make no other changes besides switching to the 13/43 gear set in the diffs, it would be the equivalent to running a 16t motor pinion with the Kraton gear set.

He's looking to run Kraton diffs is a typhon. So other way around.

Awesome, thanks for the input!
Since there’s a difference in ratio between the straight and the spiral cut, I’d need to change them both out at the same time as well.
I’ll have to look at some prices and see if it’s worth the effort when the Typhon diffs start to wear out :)

Well Duke, don't feel to bad. My math sucks. It will require a 4 tooth jump in pinion size. Editing now.
So who’s right on here is it a 4 tooth jump up or down because the typhon runs a 16 tooth pinion and the kraton runs a 12 tooth pinion need to know what to do if running KRATON DIFFS IN A TYPHON

So who’s right on here is it a 4 tooth jump up or down because the typhon runs a 16 tooth pinion and the kraton runs a 12 tooth pinion need to know what to do if running KRATON DIFFS IN A TYPHON

You've necro'ed a post from 3 years ago...

Stock Typhon is 16 Pinion/50 Spur, Internal Ratio is 3.3 (43/13) for a final drive ratio of 10.3

If you swap in Kraton diffs, the internal ratio is 4.3 (43/10) and if you put in a 21T pinion, your ratio will be 2.38 for a final drive ratio of 10.2 - which is close to the stock final drive ratio.

Physically the F & R diffs are the same.
Kraton, Talion, Outcast are spiral cut gears with 10/43 ratio. Typhon, Senton are straight cut gears with 13/43 ratio. So you need the Kraton input gear also. It is a reduction in ratio so you will need to go up 4 teeth on the motor pinion to compensate.
The center diff is the same.
^^^ This.(y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back