Kraton eats lipo’s...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoVe80

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hi guys, ive got a problem with my Kraton.
Last month i bought my self a set of lipo’s 3s...gensacearespammers Bashing 5200mah with 40c.
Every time i had a bash my lipo’s are getting warm/hot...at the end of the session they are about 65/70 degrees Celsius....and a bit puffed.
After they cool down i charge them up to storage mode.
After they cooled down the swelling goes back...and the lipo’s are square and flat again
Now i used my set of lipo’s about 7 times....charging, driving...cool them down....storage mode..but the internal resistance in my lipo’s are rising. I bought them and the had a resistance between 5 to 10 mOhm per cell....now 7 times of use the are about 14 to 24mOhm.
What is going on?

Some specs .....the setting on the ESC are stock, fitted a 15t pinion is a V2 Kraton thus the blx185 ESC.
Diffs are shimmed, filled with stiffer oils F/C/R 75k/500k/30k, driving with E-Revo 2 wheels (165mm diameter).

B638B7AF-35F5-4F25-AD78-CA9473BDA1EC.jpeg

There are reviews on these lipo batteries on YouTube. Unfortunately in German. But I think similar results where seen ..based on what you have said I would think that the lipo is on the border line of not being powerful enough. gensacearespammers are usually pretty good lipos. However I am from this day forward will always purchase the highest C rating lipos I can find. I suspect the lipos are great for a less demanding application, perhaps 1/10th scale. One thing I learnt with my Savage Flux is that even HPI's own lipo batteries were not powerful enough to power it without damaging and over exerting there lipos batteries.

In my opinion I would say always avoid lower C rating , aim for highest all the time. I suppose as well application and how you drive you car could also be a factor and on what terrain.

gensacearespammers have just released a new range of high c rating batteries "100c" hard case. They are expensive but I personally my invest in some.

Unfortunately for me I have not even been able to drive my Senton yet as my first Turning 6s puffed on its first charge. Won't be buys those again..

Sorry , also just wanted to add.

One thing I used to do with my Savage Flux was increase the lipo cutoff to 3.7v , this would reduce my run time but only by a couple of minutes , the benefit being a cooler lipo at the end of the run and less stress on the battery.

I know the Kraton / Senton is a rebranded Hobby Wing , I have a hobbyking esc programming card, I wonder if the lipo cutf off can be raised from default using this method. Personally I think this would help battery life and might help with the swelling.

@Vulcan603 , the LVC is a standard setting on the ESC ...you can only turn it on or off. My LVC kicks in at 3,67 volts the last time i drove it....
About the brands gensacearespammers or Turnigy....ive got a good experience with Turnigy...got some 2s hardcases of 5000mah with 60/120c discharge rate....those have 27 cycles on them under the same loads as with my new bought Aces.....the turnigy’s are way stronger than my Aces.
These turnigy’s are also hot after a bash session....i can hold them in my hands but if i messure them with my temp gun they are the same temp as with the aces (about 60 to 70 degrees celcius) ...after they cooled down i look to the internal resistance of the cels and these are good in warm and in cold condition. If they are warm than i’ve got like 2 or 3 mOhm per cell.....in cold 5mOhm max 6 mOhm per cell.
Now i got a bad experience with the Aces and a good view on Turnigy.....i think i would buy sooner a new set of turnigy’s than a new set of aces ...

It must be them basher lipos from gene ace. It just literally had my first run with my Senton on 4s using awanfi lipos. They were not even warm at the lvc , but I was only plasting around a small garden.

I guess it's the luck of the draw. I just had a bad Turnigy experience and you a gensacearespammers.

For what it's worth I've been using 2 x 3s gensacearespammers bashing 5200mah 40C batteries in my Talion. Must have at least 20, probably more, full charge / discharge cycles as I tend to run them until the 1st LVC phase where the car slows down significantly. Never checked their resistance until tonight and they show as 14/11/10 & 10/14/13.
Thought I might as well check the new Turnigy 5000mah 60C 6s (this battery is a bit big for my liking though and barely squeezes into the tray) and its resistance is 1/1/1/1/1/2. It hasn't been used yet though, other than a quick check to see it charged OK and worked.

I checken mine tonight.....both lipo’s are on different chargers......lipo A on the team corally and de B lipo on the Turnigy charger. The Turnigy charger is a clone of the team corally one...the have the same software....

CB785473-B380-44B2-8656-3BF2330C1BCB.jpeg

CFBD32DB-63C7-4E25-982F-83F7E5DFF02B.jpeg

Gents, excuse my ignorance. What do I need to check the resistance of my lipos?

Look through the charger menu system, it might have a setting for checking resistance.

Hi guys, ive got a problem with my Kraton.
Last month i bought my self a set of lipo’s 3s...gensacearespammers Bashing 5200mah with 40c.
Every time i had a bash my lipo’s are getting warm/hot...at the end of the session they are about 65/70 degrees Celsius....and a bit puffed.
After they cool down i charge them up to storage mode.
After they cooled down the swelling goes back...and the lipo’s are square and flat again
Now i used my set of lipo’s about 7 times....charging, driving...cool them down....storage mode..but the internal resistance in my lipo’s are rising. I bought them and the had a resistance between 5 to 10 mOhm per cell....now 7 times of use the are about 14 to 24mOhm.
What is going on?

Some specs .....the setting on the ESC are stock, fitted a 15t pinion is a V2 Kraton thus the blx185 ESC.
Diffs are shimmed, filled with stiffer oils F/C/R 75k/500k/30k, driving with E-Revo 2 wheels (165mm diameter).

View attachment 23104

It's a pretty fair guess that the discharge rating on them is lower than claimed but, I have a pair of 40c that do that too if I push them hard. 50c in the same brand doesn't do it though, so 40c just might not be quite sufficient.

Have to agree with vulcan 603 about the c rating! The higher the better. Below 50c for a 1\8th scale in my opinion is not enough!

The saga goes on....i went to my dealer where i bought it...explained my problem....and i found another problem with my ESC and my receiver.
If i connect my batteries to the ESC with the switch turned OFF....the green light came on on the ESC .....not good.
The person how sold my Kraton to me..opened het receiver box to disconnect the wires from the steering servo and ESC ...snif, snif....hmm a burning smell.....not good. Going to take you parts for warranty ...you will hear it after a week or 2 what is going to be.
So i’m done driving for the moment.....

I agree about the low C rating in some of these 1/8 models. I started with a set of the recommened 50C Onyx batteries for my Nero and they swelled after the first day out. I have since been running the 7400mAh/90C True Spec from SMC and they are fantastic.

I bought a gensacearespammers bashing 4S 5200mah 40c for my Talion.

It had exactly the same issues as your batteries,

It got very hot (up to 90 Celsius!)

It performed poorly the acceleration and top speed was poor and it kept triggering the lvc.

And it never held the full capacity.

Complete waste of money and actually quite a dangerous battery as mine puffed up a lot after a run.

I now have a gensacearespammers 4S 50c pack to replace it which performs much better however was quite a bit more expensive.

I like the SMC Batteries, and its best to buy 6s Battery instead of 2x 3s batteries for less resistance.

I am selling 2x 6s 7400MAH SMC batteries that are like 6 weeks old in classifies.

I agree about the low C rating in some of these 1/8 models. I started with a set of the recommened 50C Onyx batteries for my Nero and they swelled after the first day out. I have since been running the 7400mAh/90C True Spec from SMC and they are fantastic.
I have heard of a lot of guys having swelling issues with those Onyx batteries.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back