Kraton Esc upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
Fried my stock blx 185 today. Was wanting to upgrade it anyways but still sucks. Looking for opinions on Esc and a motor setup. Max6?? Hobbystar 4092?? Idk ?

I just installed a max6 with a hobbystar 4092 1480kv. Had to bump up to a 20t pinion to get similar speeds as the blx185 system on a 16t pinion. The 1480kv motor puts out way more torque. Can pull wheelies at 20-30 mph. Also running stock diff weight front and rear and 200k in the center. Had to trim the esc tray a bit to make it fit. Also had to make extensions for the motor wires. Motor wires were just a hair too short to reach the esc. Now I want to put a max6 in my typhon but with a little higher kv motor.

I just installed a max6 with a hobbystar 4092 1480kv. Had to bump up to a 20t pinion to get similar speeds as the blx185 system on a 16t pinion. The 1480kv motor puts out way more torque. Can pull wheelies at 20-30 mph. Also running stock diff weight front and rear and 200k in the center. Had to trim the esc tray a bit to make it fit. Also had to make extensions for the motor wires. Motor wires were just a hair too short to reach the esc. Now I want to put a max6 in my typhon but with a little higher kv motor. View attachment 32195
Ok perfect I’m going to run your exact setup !! Thanks that looks legit. Same 4m mounting holes correct??

I'm so jealous looking at how easy you guys can put in 4092 motors ?

For the revo it's physically impossible ? Oh well, I guess my senton will be getting one!

Yes the motor uses the same m4 screws. That's one of the reasons I went with hobbystar over leopard. The holes in the motor didnt quite line up with the slots in the stock motor mount so i had to use a drill bit to slightly enlarge the motor mount slots.

Thanks. After looking at the options more carefully, I ended up purchasing a Castle MMX. Hopefully I'll have time to install it this weekend.

I just installed a max6 with a hobbystar 4092 1480kv. Had to bump up to a 20t pinion to get similar speeds as the blx185 system on a 16t pinion. The 1480kv motor puts out way more torque. Can pull wheelies at 20-30 mph. Also running stock diff weight front and rear and 200k in the center. Had to trim the esc tray a bit to make it fit. Also had to make extensions for the motor wires. Motor wires were just a hair too short to reach the esc. Now I want to put a max6 in my typhon but with a little higher kv motor. View attachment 32195

At first I was like WTF does he mean... lol

So you mean on the ESC tray there is a little raised divider on the back end of the tray nearest to the motor mount. Just in case anyone else was like da fuqqq at first like I was :). I did the same to mine with the max6

At first I was like WTF does he mean... lol

So you mean on the ESC tray there is a little raised divider on the back end of the tray nearest to the motor mount. Just in case anyone else was like da fuqqq at first like I was :). I did the same to mine with the max6
Sorry if my explanation was confusing. Should have took a picture to help explain.

Thanks. After looking at the options more carefully, I ended up purchasing a Castle MMX. Hopefully I'll have time to install it this weekend.
I’d consider rpm’s esc cage if you haven’t already.. makes me feel a lot safer than just using double sided tape, for many it works but for me it’s just no enough so I need my esc’s bolted down.

Surprised the MMX is enough for the kraton. Figured you would go with something a bit more stout.
Yeah, but he’s only running 4s and the mm2 was a badass esc... even though the mmx isn’t quite up to the same brutality it’ll still rip.

Yeah, but he’s only running 4s and the mm2 was a badass esc... even though the mmx isn’t quite up to the same brutality it’ll still rip.
I have the MMX in my savage flux, also on 4S. I have the MXL-6S in my ERBEv1 which is a rebadged MM2 I believe. Kind of wish I had just gotten the MM2 for my flux vs the MMX. I don't get much benefit out of the sensored esc in that. Wasn't really worth the extra $.

I have the MMX in my savage flux, also on 4S. I have the MXL-6S in my ERBEv1 which is a rebadged MM2 I believe. Kind of wish I had just gotten the MM2 for my flux vs the MMX. I don't get much benefit out of the sensored esc in that. Wasn't really worth the extra $.
You would be correct about the rebadging thing. No program difference, it’s absolutely identical.. all firmwares available and same board. That was useful for me because I was able to force flash firmware 1.24 onto mine with the help from a guy on rctech awhile ago.

I talked to maxbraketorque in the private messages and he seemed better suited to the mmx, so that’s what he decided on. Should be great nonetheless

I’d consider rpm’s esc cage if you haven’t already.. makes me feel a lot safer than just using double sided tape, for many it works but for me it’s just no enough so I need my esc’s bolted down.

Thanks. I missed your post, but ended up stumbling across the RPM MMX ESC cage so I bought it and used it. With a little trimming, it bolts into the stock BLX180 ESC location. Things that need to be done to make it fit:

- Trim the left side of the curb at the rear on the stock ESC mount.
- Flatten the bottom of the RPM MMX ESC mounting plate. The mounting holes are slightly elevated. Needs to be as low as possible to allow the MMX to clear the center diff cage.
- Trim off one of the MMX power switch mounts on the RPM MMX ESC retaining bracket. This is needed to allow it to clear the front dogbone receiver coming off the center diff.
- Flip the orientation of the bar that holds the body support to the center diff cage. Otherwise that needlessly large head on the bar will hit the ESC.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back