Kraton Esc upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My conversation just got merged with someone else and the reply accidently posted here lol.

Interesting comments on the MMX not being able to handle power. I've been on 5S for a long time. Hard to imagine that the MMX can't handle more power than stock BLX180. Also hard to imagine that its not as capable as the EzRun MAX8.

Interesting comments on the MMX not being able to handle power. I've been on 5S for a long time. Hard to imagine that the MMX can't handle more power than stock BLX180. Also hard to imagine that its not as capable as the EzRun MAX8.
I only said anything because mine seems to run pretty hot per the logs in my savage flux hp/2200kv sensored setup on 4S.
2018-0715-SavageFluxMMX-temp.jpg

Ha! Now that I"m looking at it, I'm pretty sure the 150F I saw was the motor temp, not the esc. I'm assuming the temp on the right is the esc temp, which never broke 100F.

I'm an idiot.

What threw me off is it was rebooting itself. Did it 4-5 times for no apparent reason. Castle thinks it was due to water on the sensor/signal plug in the esc. I haven't really run it since then, so they could be right.

Does the mamba monster X have the same shtty fan problem as the first mamba monster where it only kicks in when the esc hits x amount of degrees? If so that might be a culprit.. I'm pretty sure it plugs into the esc itself (unlike the MM2) so I assume it is one of those bad setups where the esc has to get hot for it to turn on.

I'd get a receiver extension, plug it into the fan plug, and then plug it straight into the receiver. Effectively making it just like the MM2/mxl6s/elc6s fan, which, runs continuously.

Does the mamba monster X have the same shtty fan problem as the first mamba monster where it only kicks in when the esc hits x amount of degrees? If so that might be a culprit.. I'm pretty sure it plugs into the esc itself (unlike the MM2) so I assume it is one of those bad setups where the esc has to get hot for it to turn on.

I'd get a receiver extension, plug it into the fan plug, and then plug it straight into the receiver. Effectively making it just like the MM2/mxl6s/elc6s fan, which, runs continuously.
I can't recall. I think so, I don't recall it being on all the time like the one in my outcast or on my vxl-3s is.

I can't recall. I think so, I don't recall it being on all the time like the one in my outcast or on my vxl-3s is.
You would be correct, I just did a little bit of googling. According to a castle rep, the mamba monster X fan comes on at 65C which is 149f... that ain't good at all. 150F is where I call it quits for an esc. (Well actually it's 140 but for the ones I don't care about I let it get to 150) the fact that the fan just turns on at that point defeats the purpose.

It turns back off after then fan cools it down to 55c which is 131f. It also turns on for a few seconds while the esc is first fired up just to let you know it's working.

Both of these suck, making the fan useless, never knew this about the esc. I highly recommend you and every other mamba monster x owner directly wire it to the receiver ASAP. Never understood why the original mamba monster did this, the fact that they did it with the mmx is a bad decision. ESC's don't have an "operating temperature" so there's no point for them to not have the fan running 24/7.

Edit: after further research I found out that the mamba monster X fan has a weird connector that most likely won't plug into a receiver extension plug. I recommend just buying a new 30x30mm fan that has a compatible jst plug on it.

Last edited:
It appears that CC has reduced the enable setpoint from 150F to 140F. The MMX FAQ says:

---
5. Why does the fan on my Mamba Monster X stop running when the ESC arms?
The fan on the Mamba Monster X is thermally controlled. When you first power up the ESC it will do a power on self-test to show you the fan is functional. When the ESC arms the fan will stop running and then only turn on when the ESC reaches 140° F/60° C.
---

This is a bit better but still not great. I suppose that this does show that the enable temperature is not fully hardcoded, and if CC wants, they could probably make it user adjustable.

It appears that CC has reduced the enable setpoint from 150F to 140F. The MMX FAQ says:

---
5. Why does the fan on my Mamba Monster X stop running when the ESC arms?
The fan on the Mamba Monster X is thermally controlled. When you first power up the ESC it will do a power on self-test to show you the fan is functional. When the ESC arms the fan will stop running and then only turn on when the ESC reaches 140° F/60° C.
---

This is a bit better but still not great. I suppose that this does show that the enable temperature is not fully hardcoded, and if CC wants, they could probably make it user adjustable.
That’s not “not great” that’s way past useful. Like I said you should never let an esc get past 140. I’d rewire that fan ASAP... it’s useless the way it is

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back