Kraton EXB 1/5 Scale Electronics Ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spider978

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, this will be my first roller and I'm excited. I'm looking for some ideas for esc and motor combos. I've read quite a bit on Castle Motors and Hobbywing, but I'm baffled as to which is best. Castle seems to be much higher in cost.
1) Is it worth paying the premium for a Castle motor?
2) How do they compare to Hobbywing or vice versa?
3) What setup would you run?

Thanks in advance!

All very good questions. It really is user preference. I am hearing of the 2028 motors going out but castle does have the better esc. Hobbywing is definitely a more reliable way to go as far as long run but the esc is not as cool running. It all is going to have a trade off... I personally am running a mmx8s and the 2028. Some are using the xlx2 instead of the mmx8s. Both are very adequate. I would stay away from the spectrum electronics personally. But the max5 and the 56113 is no doubt a brute of a setup as well. If you are on a budget that is the way I would go and use the savings to run quality fans. If money is no option well then I would go the MGM route...
As far as sensored over non sensored. I have seen both setup run and they both can creep along slowly so the sensored loses the advantage there because how low the kv is so at that point it comes to the ability to data log which is nice because if you pay attention to it. You can watch your batteries habits and see when they start to lose the punch they once had and when bearings or binding start to take place as you will see the norm not look so norm anymore.. its really all just up to you and what you are trying to accomplish.

I really appreciate the advice. Im looking to build a basher with speed. Doing jumps no higher than 6-8 ft. I love to rip thru grass and dirt! Lol
You say 6 to 8 feet now lol.... max5 56113 will be plenty fine without going overboard

You say 6 to 8 feet now lol.... max5 56113 will be plenty fine without going overboard
Since the motors are measured in "kv's", why is the same motor kv with castle much more expensive? I will still be able to adjust punch, brakes, ect with the Hobbywing right?

Yes that is all adjustable..... because its castle lol.. and sensored. With the castle they have internals that read the temps of a motor so it will shut you down if it gets too hot. Castle does make a far better esc. But if you are just looking to enjoy the hobby and not plug your esc into a computer all the time it really isn't needed. It's like a bragging right mostly imho.

Since the motors are measured in "kv's", why is the same motor kv with castle much more expensive? I will still be able to adjust punch, brakes, ect with the Hobbywing right?
Castle is American based company also that’s where some price difference comes from.Castle also has a lot more features both are made in China.

My 2 cents.
Because I own a Max5/56113 already I would put the same in the roller, call it familiarity.
Install the 39T spur off the bat, and match it with a 39T pinion.

cheers,
kev

Yes that is all adjustable..... because its castle lol.. and sensored. With the castle they have internals that read the temps of a motor so it will shut you down if it gets too hot. Castle does make a far better esc. But if you are just looking to enjoy the hobby and not plug your esc into a computer all the time it really isn't needed. It's like a bragging right mostly imho.
Oh...like Apple vs PC type thing..Got it. No pun.

Great video suggestion, thanks.

I'm thinking about a Max5 and TP 5670 (1010 KV). This will be my first TP motor. Does this setup make sense?
Should fit nicely.
There's also the TP5850, same specs and price, but the can is finned.
When you intend putting a heatsink on the motor, I believe the TP5670 will be a better choice with its smooth can.
FYI, if you ever consider upgrading the Max5 to an XLX2, maybe the 4Y or 3Y is a better option for the TP5670 (Castle says their XLX2 has issues with D-winded motors, maybe already sorted out by now but you never know...)

Can't wait to see the running vids :)

I'm thinking about a Max5 and TP 5670 (1010 KV). This will be my first TP motor. Does this setup make sense?
Max5 might not be enough for that motor. 5660 might make more sense with a max5. Thats the combo i am thinking of going with. Max5/5660 (1170 or 1060KV).

Max5 might not be enough for that motor. 5660 might make more sense with a max5. Thats the combo i am thinking of going with. Max5/5660 (1170 or 1060KV).
Thank you! I was worried about this. I guess the only other alternative is the XLX2. Im not ready to go down that road yet.

Does anyone know how the power output of the TP 5660 1170kv would be compared to the HW 1100kv?

TP 5560 1170 max output is 10000w (5500 continuous). HW 1100kv max output is 5800kw. According to their specs on manufacturers sites.

TP 5560 1170 max output is 10000w (5500 continuous). HW 1100kv max output is 5800kw. According to their specs on manufacturers sites.
Thanks again. That seems like a pretty huge difference. Always wanted to try a TP motor. I think I'll go with the 5660.

I would run spektrum 1250kv combo , I like being able to monitor all the specs on car from transmitter. I am also looking at new big boy roller but I had ? About servo, what servo do u run in that beast.

I run the 5687 on a max6 and runs great.

I would run spektrum 1250kv combo , I like being able to monitor all the specs on car from transmitter. I am also looking at new big boy roller but I had ? About servo, what servo do u run in that beast.
This system is not powerful enough for this rig......thats why most guys remove it for an aftermarket system.

How so the esc or the motor 1250 and 1170 seem awful close ??
I would imagine the esc is fine just maybe a better motor like t.p. and if not WTF horizon get your heads out your butt and make more power before you release a huge roller ,hahah I mean really come on

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back