Kraton exb 6s build issues need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Typhon 6s
Hi I recently returned to the rc hobby in my Middle Ages. šŸ˜‚ I bought a typhon 3s 4x4 and within a month needed a kraton exb 6s with the Hobbywing max6 esc 1650kv combo... everything has gone together excellent except I canā€™t keep my pinions on the motor.
I have bought all different kinds of pinions, from: Amazon, eBay, and Arrma safe D pinions. Between 17 and 20 teeth. But no matter what I do my grub screws either loosen in first 3-5 min of use or they feel like they wonā€™t tighten down enough and they snuggly free spin while tightening. Iā€™ve tried blue and red lock tight also. And waited the recommended 24 hrs before use. But again just now went out with the current configuration 20t mod1 safe D pinion with red locktite and in 5 min the Greg screw has loosened up and the motor shaft free spins.

PLEASE
HELP

Make sure you donā€™t have old dried lock tight anywhere in the equation.
Make sure the grub screw is clean and dry (also free from oils)
Make sure the pinion is clean and dry.

hit them both with brake cleaner to assure they are both clean and dry.

Iā€™m going to try marking the pinion position and tightening the grub screw out of the car completely and really really watch the drivers I use to tighten them down, maybe Iā€™m just stripping a couple of the hexā€™s, enough to screw it up.
I also heard that the grub screws may be 1/16ā€ hex not 2.0mm and that 1/16 is very close. But if anyone has any more thoughts about it, please let me know ty

Use a Tekno pinion. Those have large set screws that use a 2.5mm driver. The Robinson Racing ones are similar but need a 2mm driver (this is what I use without issue).

I think I solved this issue. I think my 3 different drivers are all crap. And were stripping like 1 or 2 points of the hex, just enough to feel tight, but not be tight. So I found a little L shaped hex key and removed the motor assembly and marked my pinion position and it finally let me get a good crank down on the grub screw. Could only find the blue locktite, but I think it will be plenty now that itā€™s tight to start with šŸ˜‚ šŸ˜‚
Ty for the help
Iā€™ll be getting my build pics together soon to show off my build a bit..

I think I solved this issue. I think my 3 different drivers are all crap. And were stripping like 1 or 2 points of the hex, just enough to feel tight, but not be tight. So I found a little L shaped hex key and removed the motor assembly and marked my pinion position and it finally let me get a good crank down on the grub screw. Could only find the blue locktite, but I think it will be plenty now that itā€™s tight to start with šŸ˜‚ šŸ˜‚
Ty for the help
Iā€™ll be getting my build pics together soon to show off my build a bit..
Get you some MiP drivers and donā€™t look back.

Back