Kraton Kraton EXB Build (confirmation I have the correct build items) & should I buy another now or wait?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanedale

Reaction score
Two items. #1 Build of my sons car. #2 - I decided to build one for myself.

To proactively cut off negative comments, I know the EXB is overkill for an 8 year old running a 4S system likely de-tuned from the Dumbo remote, but kids do get bigger and he is good at breaking stuff :)

#1 - My son's car build
  • Kraton EXB, ordered mid December and received right before XMAS (is there a way to check via the serial number what version I have - as in, do I really need to do anything with the diffs? - if so, anyone mid peninsula bay area California that want's to offer advice?
  • Spektrum Firma 150 Amp Brushless Smart ESC & Motor 2050Kv with motor fan (new take off Felony/Infraction)
  • JX Servo CLS-HV7346MG 46KG High Torque (was recommended on this forum - hope it is appropriate)
  • 4 (as in one set to use, one set as backup) 2S Lipo batteries from our old Traxxas Slash cars with an adapter (he is 8, so we will turn down the throttle with the Dumbo remote anyway)
  • Using the 12T pinion gear that came with the EXB in the bag with the yellow do not use this sticker (very confusing marketing as I think the paper warning of high speed gears was about using bigger than the enclosed 12T gear, but they just tossed the warning card in the bag with the 12T gear. Very odd)

#2 - I decided I will get a Kraton EXB as well to race my son. I read a lot on the forum about first batch diff issues - any benefit if I wait a bit for a new version? If so, anyone know timing? Or is there a normal sale that happens on these? I honestly plan a similar build for mine; however, I will likely go with 3S batteries with the correct connectors. Does anyone see anything that I should do differently than the above build? Is the motor fan a non-benefit if running on dirt? I opted for it for giggles for my sons car. Ok if my motor comes without one, or is a motor fan a good idea?
  • Any recommendations for a cool top shell so my car is visually different than my sons?
  • Most value for the buck 3S battery for this type of car? Lectron Pro 2S is what we currently run, but I need to purchase new batteries for my car. Best brand for a balance of quality and affordability?
  • I don't think I will ever run more than 6S in this, should I stick with stock 6S Spectrum motor & ESC? Some of the other motor ESC combos recommended seemed to be double the cost with slightly more performance. I question if I need better than stock and stock seems to be at a good price on ebay and other sites (happy to buy from here as well)
  • The servo is the item I have least experience with. Is the JX Servo CLS-HV7346MG 46KG the best bang for the buck, or should I go another direction?
  • 12T pinion that comes with the EXB good? I don't plan on doing asphalt runs, just dirt bashing and track running.
Thanks for any advice. I wanted to document what I did for other newbies as well as get advice for the next build!

Cheers,

Dale

Kraton EXB, ordered mid December and received right before XMAS (is there a way to check via the serial number what version I have - as in, do I really need to do anything with the diffs? - if so, anyone mid peninsula bay area California that want's to offer advice?

#2 - I decided I will get a Kraton EXB as well to race my son. I read a lot on the forum about first batch diff issues - any benefit if I wait a bit for a new version? If so, anyone know timing?

Welcome!

The first batch of Kraton EXBs came out in the July/August timeframe. If you ordered mid December, your rear diff has been addressed with the addition of active diff plates. So far as we know, there is no other "new version" coming. Arrma is release a pack of shims and spacers to convert these diffs with active diff plates to open diff plates but that's another decision you'll have to make on how you want to run the rear diff.

I'd get some more diff fluid as many diffs come half filled and you should top them off as part of the build process.

Last edited:
I tried the LSD plates in the rear of my KEXB (v1) after the rear diff blew and I didn’t like it. Induced too much understeer for my taste. Then when it would turn, it would spin out. No in between.

I added the @BashingBrian 12x18 shims to mine (thanks to @Rcproponent) and it is way better IMO. The LSD center and front is fine for me tho.

I tried the LSD plates in the rear of my KEXB (v1) after the rear diff blew and I didn’t like it. Induced too much understeer for my taste. Then when it would turn, it would spin out. No in between.

I added the @BashingBrian 12x18 shims to mine (thanks to @Rcproponent) and it is way better IMO. The LSD center and front is fine for me tho.
The only way to run KEXB... open diff for the win. The 12x18 @BashingBrian shims is where it’s at... @jondilly1974 is spot on 👌🏻💪🏻

Are you using the same DumboRC remote as your son?

if you aren’t going to do much and have more experience than your son then you can get the RTR V5 kraton (add rpm front and rear bumper, a wheelie bar and be good). That will give you the differentiation between your kraton and the kids exb.

That should be less wrenching on the kids because it should be good with his abuse. Although some would argue that some of the fun and experience is the breaking and fixing of parts. Then if something breaks on yours then upgrade it to m2c or rpm or whatever else is out there.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back