Kraton Kraton EXB Build - Did I buy the right ESC/Motor (MMX8s/1717)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyev

Reaction score
Hi,

For most of the upgrades on my Kraton EXB build I researched extensively. But for the ESC and Motor, I probably didn't research as much as I should have before purchasing a Castle MMX8s / 1717 (1650kv) combo. I saw a few recommendations of both this combo and also the Max6 / 1650kv from Hobbywing, and went the Castle route as a few have said this will run cooler. Figured I could eliminate the need and minor complication of running motor fans.

I picked up a few Tekno pinions to try - an 18,19, and 20T.

But my questions now are:

-What type of characteristics will my rig have compared with stock?
-Is the 1650kv motor right for me? What are the other options and why would I pick them?
-Since this ESC/Motor is meant for 8s, and I'm running 6s, am I adding too much weight? What are the pros/cons of other configurations - would other configurations offer better "mid-throttle" control?

Really just looking for an understanding of what the heck I bought! Prior to this build I've only had experience building crawlers, so in that respect I'm a newbie. Planning to do moderate bashing, nothing crazy like some of the YT videos, and mostly on grass but on some pavement and some gravel/dirt. At the very least will limit the throttle and bump up the punch control on the esc while I'm getting used to driving something that's faster than a crawler....

If I had a 8s esc/motor Im definitely putting a 8s or 4s packs, gear it right and send that mf nothing but full rips on street/dirt well san diego don't have much dirt here. I don't hardcore dirt bash either I hardcore street bash/speed runs. Currently i run a 1515 combo on 29/46 on 6s diff fluid 100/500/60 I love it

It will be quick. Like, really quick. I have the Max6/1650 combo in mine with a 20T pinion and it is mental....you will love it!

I run mine on 6S but it is 8S capable - but I frighten myself enough on 6S at the moment 😜

Make sure your start power is set to low. Anything else and you barely touch the trigger and it will flip over. At least mine does. But I have the 1250KV motor.
And on 6s. Rarely run 8s on it. It's just too much. 6s is great!!!!!

The Castle combo you have is beautiful, don't be worried about buying the wrong thing, the esc is pretty lightweight considering it's power. It is so nice to drive due to it being a sensored system. You'll have a great set-up that can be moved out into a speed run car or even installed on an 8s vehicle if you keep it fairly stock. Congrats and enjoy your build.

It is a great combo for the Kraton if you can swing the cost.

I run the MMX8S 1650 combo with 18T pinion and it'll do 55mph on 6S no problem which is fast enough for me, any faster and you start blowing tires, but with the sensor it will go slow enough to crawl with it.

You will need fans for the motor if you plan to run it hard, especially in the summer. Don't use a heatsink, just mount some fans blowing on the can.

OH and Castle customer support is TOP NOTCH. I had an issue with the sensor where it wasn't reading motor temp and they made it right.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Looking forward to its first run... Will definitely not go higher than the 18T to start.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back