Kraton EXB Center Driveshafts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jschlosser0405

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Notorious
Hey everyone, first post from a new member. I have a question about my center driveshafts for Kraton EXB. The other day I got my diff shim kit (ARA311094) and checked all my diffs. Upon installing my center diff, I noticed the front driveshaft only wanted to go in one direction. I did not flip front to rear, only rotated 180 degrees. One way it seemed to bind in the cup on the diff. I rotated and it slipped right in. Everything rolls freely and sounds good. Is this normal or does my cup/ driveshaft have an issue?

Hey everyone, first post from a new member. I have a question about my center driveshafts for Kraton EXB. The other day I got my diff shim kit (ARA311094) and checked all my diffs. Upon installing my center diff, I noticed the front driveshaft only wanted to go in one direction. I did not flip front to rear, only rotated 180 degrees. One way it seemed to bind in the cup on the diff. I rotated and it slipped right in. Everything rolls freely and sounds good. Is this normal or does my cup/ driveshaft have an issue?
I've had the exact same issue with a front driveshaft/outdrive. I'm guessing it's the machining of the pin bore (not quite centre) or the pin itself isn't pressed fully centre

Use a Sharpie to mark the driveshaft/outdrive whichever way it doesn't bind and run it that way. You should be fine đź‘Ť

Thank you. Just wanted to make sure. It does not seem to have any vibration or binding of any sort when running wheels off the ground. Also with the center diff, I had 2 shims behind the pins on the outdrives. The smaller ones at the pin were the same as the front and rear diff, but the shim towards the outdrive was a smaller diameter than the ones at the front and rear diff. I changed them out so all shims front, center, and rear are the same. 2 shims got my drives nice and snug with no play. Should i have left the smaller diameter shim in the center? The diagram doesn't show a difference like I had.

Thank you. Just wanted to make sure. It does not seem to have any vibration or binding of any sort when running wheels off the ground. Also with the center diff, I had 2 shims behind the pins on the outdrives. The smaller ones at the pin were the same as the front and rear diff, but the shim towards the outdrive was a smaller diameter than the ones at the front and rear diff. I changed them out so all shims front, center, and rear are the same. 2 shims got my drives nice and snug with no play. Should i have left the smaller diameter shim in the center? The diagram doesn't show a difference like I had.
No worries

The wider (also slightly thinner) shims should be against the o-rings, and the narrower/thicker shims should be against the pins. The factory does make mistakes, so it's great that you've checked them out. I gut and rebuild all rigs I get for reasons such as this

Hopefully the rear diff is also a LS diff, or at least an open diff with the 1.9mm spacer

Yes that is the way I have the shims. I'll admit, I had every intention of going over this car top to bottom before it ever touched the ground....BUT....being my first Arrma and first 1/8 scale, I had to take a quick rip after installing all the electronics....couldn't help myself haha. Unfortunately the weather is killing me and I haven't been able to get out but once since I got it a month ago. I have taken it apart and shimmed everything since though. The rear end is open with the 1.9mm spacer and 40k, front is minimum action with 4k, center is max action with 100k. Wheels are all shimmed, shocks all checked and filled. One thing that is bothering me, my pinion/spur alignment. I cannot get the pinion on the motor shaft far enough to line up with the spur perfectly. If i slide it back anymore, I can't get the driver on the grub screw. There is full contact but i'd love it to be centered on the spur. Am I missing something or is this normal?

Edit: sorry not my first Arrma, got my daughter a Mega Typhon for Christmas....which led to me getting a Kraton for myself...for Christmas...kinda haha

Back