Kraton Kraton EXB chassis brace

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soilhalo77

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
I keep sheering the bolt off from my rear brace
Any advice on how to stop this from happening. Like what are people using to stop this?
Kinda ruins your day if it happens at the beginning of days running

thats ok but the kraton chassis is not keyed
The rear brace on the V5 is keyed

1621839948175.jpeg

Or just drill out the threads and use a bigger bolt and nylock nut to hold it in place. If you shear the bolt it just falls out and you can replace it easily.

This is the best advise..⬆️

This is what I do with all mine, including 7075 M2C ones..!! I'm only using 10.9 bolts with nuts and I've never had an issue 🤔

Looks like the key hole is a recent update to the Kraton EXB chassis. From what I have around here the EXB chassis I got in January isn't keyed, the latest one (where they also dropped the pinion and put the daft servo horn in) is keyed. Although they haven't yet updated the brace to use the key hole - maybe that's just stock passing through. There is also an extra screw hold to the rear of the key hole, so maybe an updated brace with much longer footprint to take 2 screws and square key is on the way.

Looks like the key hole is a recent update to the Kraton EXB chassis. From what I have around here the EXB chassis I got in January isn't keyed, the latest one (where they also dropped the pinion and put the daft servo horn in) is keyed. Although they haven't yet updated the brace to use the key hole - maybe that's just stock passing through. There is also an extra screw hold to the rear of the key hole, so maybe an updated brace with much longer footprint to take 2 screws and square key is on the way.

The V5 I got in March has the extra keyhole and 2 screw holes aswell.

This is what I do with all mine, including 7075 M2C ones..!! I'm only using 10.9 bolts with nuts and I've never had an issue 🤔
That’s what I was thinking of doing to as drilling it rather than tapping would allow (under stress) some tiny amount of movement not being fixed by a thread so u could potentially get a better result than if you put a new thread in

What are 10.9 bolts? Is that a US measurement?
I have no clue what that is in the Uk or is that the kind of steel the bolt is made from?
Or just drill out the threads and use a bigger bolt and nylock nut to hold it in place. If you shear the bolt it just falls out and you can replace it easily.
When you drilled out the brace did u cut a notch into it so the nut doesn’t catch the drive cup?
I ordered some M5 bolts but they sent M4 so I thought for time being I’d just use the smaller ones again but with a nylon nut on.
im finding it almost impossible to get the nut on the bolt without it cross threading
I did realise though u can use a long bolt and it won’t catch anything but the drive cup is super close to the nut
I don’t want to trim the brace if I don’t need to but I’m worried that if I don’t (as it’s sitting very close to the cup ) if it moves it’ll catch it and destroy it
And no I’ve no square bit cut out of my chassis
Any advice please dude?

Last edited:
you want 12.9 grade steel if you can its what comes on arrma 6s models

you want 12.9 grade steel if you can its what comes on arrma 6s models
In my opinion there is no need for 12.9 on what is basically a toy car 😉 most of my rigs end up with 10.9 after rebuilds because the Arrma bolts are just too expensive for what you get..
Without wanting to jinx myself, I can't remember the last time I broke a bolt..!! 🤪 I have bent quite a few though..!!

In my opinion there is no need for 12.9 on what is basically a toy car 😉 most of my rigs end up with 10.9 after rebuilds because the Arrma bolts are just too expensive for what you get..
Without wanting to jinx myself, I can't remember the last time I broke a bolt..!! 🤪 I have bent quite a few though..!!
no what you mean its the rear chassis brace screw that goes in from under chassis that breaks all time on me if its not 12.9 grade

Well I stuck a 4mm bolt with a nut but it’s soooooo close to the center cup if it loosened it’ll chew that cup to bits
That’s why I was asking if anyone has notched the chassis brace so there’s a flat spot so you can drop it down a little way from the cup.
I can’t seem to find decent bolts either so I think I’m going to order some M5 HPI ones as there way cheaper than the Arrma ones. I’ve actually replaced a lot of my bolts with HPI as there cheaper and seem stronger

Back