Kraton Kraton EXB diff issues. not impressed so far!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct one side feels sharper than the other, I have installed them wrong, it will just do weird diff action but it wont hurt it.
That's kind of subjective. IMHO. Weird stuff happening can be a wrong thing too??? 🤷‍♂️
Wont hurt until your diff is bricked. 2 ways of thinking it.

Ok so I picked up my Kraton EXB 6S a few weeks ago. Had a few broken parts, which I blame on the cold weather (15-30) degrees. But I took it out to bash a bit in the snow today at a local BMX place and low and behold i stripped the side gears in the rear diff.:rolleyes:
Before anyone asks, yes I checked the end play in the diffs after I got it and changed the fluid to 30K front and rear and 500K in the center. All the diffs were set up right and there was no play in the diff or housing. I'm just baffled and kind of ticked off that these things don't hold up that well, maybe its just me.
From what I gather most people don't have many issues...

Oh well its torn down now and waiting for replacement parts...:(

sorry just needed to vent a little
Ok so I picked up my Kraton EXB 6S a few weeks ago. Had a few broken parts, which I blame on the cold weather (15-30) degrees. But I took it out to bash a bit in the snow today at a local BMX place and low and behold i stripped the side gears in the rear diff.:rolleyes:
Before anyone asks, yes I checked the end play in the diffs after I got it and changed the fluid to 30K front and rear and 500K in the center. All the diffs were set up right and there was no play in the diff or housing. I'm just baffled and kind of ticked off that these things don't hold up that well, maybe its just me.

This is why I don’t drive in cold weather lipos are not happy in cold weather,,neither are the plastics,,,what do you expect,,,,myself I use the cold weather days to do maintenance getting ready for the spring.....in decent weather, the problem is solved,,,,,I’ve had my rigs for years,,,,never rode in cold weather,thus the longevity of my stuff even without all most of the aluminum upgrades....cod reeks havoc on these units plain and simple....but that’s just me,,,,,,so have at it......

Be honest I am not impressed by notorious diffs either diff shimmed bearings good and front crown gear stripped after 3 weeks from new

IMG-20210220-WA0007.jpeg

Stripping like this only happens with noise that is going along with it. Where you hear gears skipping it's on you to stop.
Not disagreeing that this shouldn't happen out the door but also driver responsibility on any RC when it does occur.
No ideas how many packs you ran in '3 weeks' this is to be expected every 20 packs. Probably a little more early on as items settle under load.

Don't isolate this to 'Notorious' diffs. They are the same across the 6S truck line.

You could try the warranty road and get a new one, in the meantime buy another spare from Jenny or other place and start the cycle of swapping diffs out while maintaining one. A couple shims is all it takes.

That's kind of subjective. IMHO. Weird stuff happening can be a wrong thing too??? 🤷‍♂️
Wont hurt until your diff is bricked. 2 ways of thinking it.
Agree it might be subjective. But all i can do is pass my experiences. And i ran for a couple packs with the plates all wrong lol. No consequences. Now if u personally ran with some plates set wrong and it blew up please share.

@Pitek_t
Lol when u hear noise its all over. Also if your at the track with ur buds all u can do is go till it don't work. But if u stop the second u hear a noise its bye bye to at least one gear in all my 20 diffs i went through experiences

Last edited:
I don't think I did 20 packs ,I have one spare
Warranty here in Europe doesn't exist
When I fryed my ESC horizon hobby did road trough hell to get replacement
Agree it might be subjective. But all i can do is pass my experiences. And i ran for a couple packs with the plates all wrong lol. No consequences. Now if u personally ran with some plates set wrong and it blew up please share.

@Pitek_t
Lol when u hear noise its all over. Also if your at the track with ur buds all u can do is go till it don't work. But if u stop the second u hear a noise its bye bye to at least one gear in all my 20 diffs i went through experiences
I well believe you I went through few in Typhon but nothing like that happened to me before they make them from chinesium
I will try GPM gears and I will post my experience later

GPM as in chinese GPM?
Suggest you stay away from GPM and Integy, they invented chinesium and combine them with bad tolerances.
There are only a few select items where it doesn't really matter but gears are not one of them.

Hmmm let me show you something arrma did the same with gp5 ,measure take it and 600 difference between left and right by the way it cost me 13 EUR per set I will be testing rabbit

IMG_20210214_210508__01.jpg

Hmmm let me show you something arrma did the same with gp5 ,measure take it and 600 difference between left and right by the way it cost me 13 EUR per set I will be testing rabbit

View attachment 127756
Not a good picture that indicates anything.
Where is the problem?

GPM and Integy= (n) Just not the answer. At least here in the states, they are avoided if possible, for the most part.
I notice many in the EU go to these 2 brands.
Don't know why?
Maybe its all they got as options or something.🤷‍♂️ EU LHS's pushing those brands? IDK.

Where is the problem?

GPM and Integy= (n) Just not the answer. At least here in the states, they are avoided if possible, for the most part.
Don't know why?
Maybe its all they got as options or something.🤷‍♂️ EU LHS's pushing those brands? IDK.
No to good picture what I indicate 600 difference on around like faded brakes
I know you all know best but I willing to try and share my experience
Integy and GPM do great stuff as well for small money then other brands
Sometimes some stuff need small modification but this is RC world models this should be fun not everything plug and play
But we well know in Europe That is the way in USA plug and play :) if doesn't fit bin it
Enjoy models

I am never the final word in RC. I don't claim to know best. Yeah just 30 years in this hobby and all.....Thanks for acknowledging.,
Just shared my experience with them. I can usually make anything fit for the most part. I don't think that we should do that when paying some of that high dollar they ask for. I generally am not brand loyal. I buy what my wallet thinks makes sense. The RC market here is different in the States, that's all. The Chinesium stuff is made to be disposable as it is. Guaranty's repeat sales. At least the fit and finish should be better. I have bins full of useless gearboxes, etc alloy stuff, especially Crawler parts. Much is GPM and Integy. Customer support is a zero for me here. So I cool out with those brands. Much of it is just non functional bling for those with holes burning in their wallets. And that is fine for them.\
The US is has a very strong consumer market compared to may other countries and so we get a lot of garbage goods thrown our way as a result. They know we will buy them , and it makes money. Been that way for 50 years and more.

Last edited:
I am never the final word in RC. I don't claim to know best. Yeah just 30 years in this hobby and all.....Thanks for acknowledging.,
Just shared my experience with them. I can usually make anything fit for the most part. I don't think that we should do that when paying some of that high dollar they ask for. I generally am not brand loyal. I buy what my wallet thinks makes sense. The RC market here is different in the States, that's all. The Chinesium stuff is made to be disposable as it is. Guaranty's repeat sales. At least the fit and finish should be better. I have bins full of useless gearboxes, etc alloy stuff, especially Crawler parts. Much is GPM and Integy. Customer support is a zero for me here. So I cool out with those brands. Much of it is just non functional bling for those with holes burning in their wallets. And that is fine for them.
Oh Jesus don't take this personally I agree with market for RC cars in US is not different is the best .30 years in RC?? And this you take like personal attack
In EU there is very limited support for everything
By the way all of your RC cars are made in china
From chinesium
Enjoy

You misunderstood me. I thank you for saying I know a lot. I just explained why I don't like 2 brands Integy and GPM.
It is what it is. OF Course I know Arrma is all outsourced in China. Everything is. Not all of Chinese goods are garbage. Hope you undertsand that. Take nothing personal. Especially here on AF.
QC is not all that sometimes in China and other countries. It's just part of the business culture. Customer support is what truly counts. That backs their product.

Ok I agree and I will share later my experience how GPM diff perform as my notorious eat diffs
Shimmed and service regularly
Two diffs shimmed differently as well to see how they perform
Possible my way of drive as well but I enjoyed the way bashing everywhere
Enjoy RC life

Hi, I've got the v4 6s, I've gone through about three diffs now, I was running 30k, F/R & 200k centre, but I'm going to reduce the rear to 15k as I think this will help with wear and tear. What's your thoughts. 🤔
Ok I agree and I will share later my experience how GPM diff perform as my notorious eat diffs
Shimmed and service regularly
Two diffs shimmed differently as well to see how they perform
Possible my way of drive as well but I enjoyed the way bashing everywhere
Enjoy RC life
I've just upgraded to a GPM 43t bevel and pinion for my kraton v4 6s, seems to be holding out, but time will tell. I keep stripping pinions 🙄
GPM as in chinese GPM?
Suggest you stay away from GPM and Integy, they invented chinesium and combine them with bad tolerances.
There are only a few select items where it doesn't really matter but gears are not one of them.
I've run GPM parts on my kraton 6s and they have been fine, just don't use the screws they provide, they round off easily. I've have swapped out a few of there parts for RPM and M2C, which I'm very happy with, I've spent over 2k on this bloody thing now lol.
Where is the problem?

Don't know why?
Correct there is a lot of advertising of those products here, buying from the US to UK can add up, as you get hit with import duty tax. I paid $140 for a M2C chassis but when I collected it from the post office I hade to pay a further $40 tax . 🤑

Last edited:
It's a shame that for us in EU or UK do not get the same support as US guys.

I source many parts from jrc. As stated above some gpm parts are not bad.

I have Braces etc on one rig. Centre Diff cup wears way too quick. Bad design around the bearing.

Imo far better options around, research is key. Tax iand availability the killer for us. For that reason I can see why many opt for gpm etc.

Read any of my posts. I blew from diff 1st time out

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back