Kraton Kraton EXB LSD Diff to Open - Thx again to the Members

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
All I wanted to say was thanks again to the guys here who found a fix to the early Kraton EXB LSD rear diff.

Nothing against LSD diff users this is not a post to convert anyone only to say after months of using their solution the results are still grand for me to date. Thanks to @BashingBrian early solution here. Then shortly later I found @HZRDOS solution taken from something discovered from @Engineer and Hzrdos created here what I still use today.

My rig was purchased in Oct 2021 and it did come with all LSD. I gave all LSD a run with stock oil, changing rear diff to 5k, 3k and other combinations with the front and center oils. For me, I could never find the right combination for dirt bashing with the ability to drift the corners and it still pulls me forward as I drifted those banks....just spun out rear I could not find the control I needed.

50/500/20k, LSD\LSD\open, max/max/open with the rear setup was magic for me, jackpot. I understand LSD diffs are a multiplier and 500k in the center is just MAD...but damn it works some of the early vets did share in PM diff oils in the same range on an open rear setup.

Doing a 20 battery run maintenance and as I cleaned the rear just pleased with the performance, stars are still good, and the sun gear tabs have not broken off... a sweet find combination for a 29mm open rear! Thx!

0.3 and 0.2mm under the outdrive pin. Shim from the orange package and 2 LSD stars.
1651382531889.png
1651382548808.png

Last edited:
Theres an open diff kit to make the diffs open. Unless by using the lsd to prevent the side walls from snaping. That is what i use on my diffs. Im honestly lost with all this complicated methods members have been promoting. I stopped following when people were saying to stack 10 0.1mm shims to replace the lsd plates somehing like that. Before the official correction was anounced
Screenshot_20220501-015238_Samsung Internet.jpg

Theres an open diff kit to make the diffs open. Unless by using the lsd to prevent the side walls from snaping. That is what i use on my diffs. Im honestly lost with all this complicated methods members have been promoting

I have no idea :)

But these guys started this well before HH ever released a kit so pioneer thinking on their parts. So by today's stands...sure it's not important just get the kit. For those like me where the kit was not out this works and no need for me to change. I like to idea of protecting the tabs in an open setup as it does in the LSD setup.

So my post was to say thank you to them...not to change anyone's minds as I pointed out... I am sure the kit setup is on point :) (y)

I have no idea :)

But these guys started this well before HH ever released a kit so pioneer thinking on their parts. So by today's stands...sure it's not important just get the kit. For those like me where the kit was not out this works and no need for me to change. I like to idea of protecting the tabs in an open setup as it does in the LSD setup.

So my post was to say thank you to them...not to change anyone's minds as I pointed out... I am sure the kit setup is on point :) (y)
I did break one side wall once and it was because i had put 3 shims when i was using LSD because me being smart if it fits it must work🤣. I now follow the instructions and never had a problem since then

Can you make it open by just adding another LSD plate in?

I do not want to confuse any new person with a full LSD setup. If at all possible, try to make it work with the LSDs it is in your favor. There was a time that Horizon just did not have the kits and parts they offer today so other members came up with a great workaround. Since I have it the way I like no need for me to change it back.

If I were doing this today, I would try to make this work with lighter diff fluids and see how it goes.

Are you just curious or experiencing any rear diff issues?

I do not want to confuse any new person with a full LSD setup. If at all possible, try to make it work with the LSDs it is in your favor. There was a time that Horizon just did not have the kits and parts they offer today so other members came up with a great workaround. Since I have it the way I like no need for me to change it back.

If I were doing this today, I would try to make this work with lighter diff fluids and see how it goes.

Yes, my MEXB rear diff is popping after like 5min of run time on 4s ( This car is brand new ).
When take a part it looks fine, but I don't really know what EXB supposed look like inside.

Yes, my MEXB rear diff is popping after like 5min of run time on 4s ( This car is brand new ).
When take a part it looks fine, but I don't really know what EXB supposed look like inside.
Understand....before I get into shimming and all the other stuff with LSD diffs have you seen this:

Arrma

@Rob66

There is a lot to look for. Some of my errors as a newbie were:

- Overfilling the oil. AJ shows it well where to stop and how to close the diff
- Getting oil in the screw holes

- Reusing a bad gasket. If it is not seated well and is pealing up, get a new one. Small but those mms of space make an impact

- Shimming. Not too much side-to-side play when you have the outdrives installed in the diff. Explained that here to a user. Also when you put it back in the bulkhead you have it seated well with no side to side movement.

Once you have good gear mesh you should be good and have no breakage.

Last edited:
Understand....before I get into shimming and all the other stuff with LSD diffs have you seen this:

Arrma

@Rob66

- Reusing a bad gasket. If it is not seated well and is pealing up, get a new one. Small but those mms of space make an impact

- Shimming. Not too much side-to-side play when you have the outdrives installed in the diff. Explained that here to a user. Also when you put it back in the bulkhead you have it seated well with no side to side movement.

Okay, Thanks for the advice.
I will tear down the diffs tonight.

No because its acting like the less restrictive setup. Circle star star
Thanks I just opted for minimum effect 👍

Was just curious ss ive been running my Exb diffs in standard shipped setup for several months. Have set it to minimum effect on the rear for now on the rear as I'm trying to get better handling when cornering without spinning out

Someone correct me if im wrong...
I read (probably here) or saw a video on YT that says to convert the LSD EXB diff to open, just use 3 of the circle plates on each side & shim as needed. The circle plates reenforce the output gear where the outdrive pin sits & removes all LSD effect because its basically a keyed shim that rotates with the output gear pin & output drive cup.

The bad part is the replacement set from Arrma only includes two (2) circle plates per set. So you need to re-use the old circle plates that came with your LSD diff & buy 2 sets per diff that you want to convert. One for each side. Then you have a bunch of extra star plates...

Maybe you can use them for your TMNT action figures 🤔.

If you don't get that reference, we cant be friends 🤨. lOl
Thanks I just opted for minimum effect 👍

Was just curious ss ive been running my Exb diffs in standard shipped setup for several months. Have set it to minimum effect on the rear for now on the rear as I'm trying to get better handling when cornering without spinning out

Kinda off topic...

Does your transmitter/Receiver combo have AVC? It will help a lot if you set it up. If not, you can grab a Gyro add-on online somewhere to help. I tried the Spektrum Dx3 & 6ch reciever with AVC & my rig wil launch straight under any condition with it turned up. Even on punch 9 on wet pavement. Keeps me from spinning out (& diffing out) on any surface too.

But... Its still has too slow reaction time for my bashing style. I tend to drive my rig like Ken Block does on any of the Gymkhana vids. I ordered a DumboRC combo, now I'm upgrading to a gyro receiver with auto LED light controls.

Last edited:

Someone correct me if im wrong...
I read (probably here) or saw a video on YT that says to convert the LSD EXB diff to open, just use 3 of the circle plates on each side & shim as needed. The circle plates reenforce the output gear where the outdrive pin sits & removes all LSD effect because its basically a keyed shim that rotates with the output gear pin & output drive cup.

The bad part is the replacement set from Arrma only includes two (2) circle plates per set. So you need to re-use the old circle plates that came with your LSD diff & buy 2 sets per diff that you want to convert. One for each side. Then you have a bunch of extra star plates...

Maybe you can use them for your TMNT action figures 🤔.

If you don't get that reference, we cant be friends 🤨. lOl

Kinda off topic...

Does your transmitter/Receiver combo have AVC? It will help a lot if you set it up. If not, you can grab a Gyro add-on online somewhere to help. I tried the Spektrum Dx3 & 6ch reciever with AVC & my rig wil launch straight under any condition with it turned up. Even on punch 9 on wet pavement. Keeps me from spinning out (& diffing out) on any surface too.

But... Its still has too slow reaction time for my bashing style. I tend to drive my rig like Ken Block does on any of the Gymkhana vids. I ordered a DumboRC combo, now I'm upgrading to a gyro receiver with auto LED light controls.

The new kit was posted in #2 so with the correct Arrma open diff kit you are not using any LSD or and LSD stars. I will post a video of an example how an open diff should look. Again, no LSD plates are used.

Now what might be confusing as I said in my first post, great members came up with a solution prior to Arrma. I still like their solution better as you see in the open diff setup there is no protection for the sun gear tabs. Using one or two LSD circle in place of one of the shim protects the tabs. It may not be an issue as to why Arrma did not do it but members here did see it as a problem. The fix was great.

Their kit does not require it. Circle plates are reinforcing the sun gear and not the outdrive.

Video

Pictures from my first post from user found the fix with circles to compare the two
Screenshot_20210913-121842_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210913-121923_Gallery.jpg

The last pic is exactly what I was talking about. The circular LSD plate supports the gear. Just use 3 of them per side and none of the ones that are keyed to the diff cup.

Or you could just use 2 with shims in between, but it looks like you got it already.

The last pic is exactly what I was talking about. The circular LSD plate supports the gear. Just use 3 of them per side and none of the ones that are keyed to the diff cup.

Or you could just use 2 with shims in between, but it looks like you got it already.
My first post is what I used...2 circles to get the right spacing. It is important to have that right mm of spacing I linked in my first post (1.81mm). If you have too many shims or LSD stars you are going to bind the diff. Using what I show below when you drop the shims with the sun gear in the cup over the input gear you have a nice flush setting like the stock LSD setup. The size of the shims is important so it spins and does not bind.

1652664018806.png

Last edited:

Arrma

@Rob66

Okay..... It turns out that the issue was QC, both the round LSD plates were missing from the factory:rolleyes:.
IMG_0960.JPG

( The other pin is in the diff )

The good news is HH is sending me a Whole new Rear diff, which is nice of them.

Anyway, just wanted to update this thread with the issue.

All I wanted to say was thanks again to the guys here who found a fix to the early Kraton EXB LSD rear diff.

Nothing against LSD diff users this is not a post to convert anyone only to say after months of using their solution the results are still grand for me to date. Thanks to @BashingBrian early solution here. Then shortly later I found @HZRDOS solution taken from something discovered from @Engineer and Hzrdos created here what I still use today.

My rig was purchased in Oct 2021 and it did come with all LSD. I gave all LSD a run with stock oil, changing rear diff to 5k, 3k and other combinations with the front and center oils. For me, I could never find the right combination for dirt bashing with the ability to drift the corners and it still pulls me forward as I drifted those banks....just spun out rear I could not find the control I needed.

50/500/20k, LSD\LSD\open, max/max/open with the rear setup was magic for me, jackpot. I understand LSD diffs are a multiplier and 500k in the center is just MAD...but damn it works some of the early vets did share in PM diff oils in the same range on an open rear setup.

Doing a 20 battery run maintenance and as I cleaned the rear just pleased with the performance, stars are still good, and the sun gear tabs have not broken off... a sweet find combination for a 29mm open rear! Thx!

0.3 and 0.2mm under the outdrive pin. Shim from the orange package and 2 LSD stars.
View attachment 214872View attachment 214873
Good info. Thanks for sharing.(y)

Been reading and researching the issues with the EXB since 2020 so that I prepare myself when the time came to blueprint the diffs. I’m still a tad confused, but this post helps bring clarity.

Thanks to all who helped remedy this issue👍

I didn't think of this with the open diff shim kit they have now:
screenshot_20210913-121923_gallery-jpg.217749

This happened to my exb rear diff last time out:
2022-0423-kraton-blownRearDiff-SunGear.jpg

Although, it doesn't look like it flexed or anything, not 100% sure what happened. When I rebuilt it, I used drill bit stock for the pins and replaced the plastic cup with an arrma 2 piece alloy cup and also put new shims in since they were deformed. Only had like 4 bash sessions on the truck. Haven't run it since rebuilding it and adding the new cup.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back