Kraton Kraton exb max6 combo overheating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abraksan

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon TLR
Im driving a Kraton exb with the hobywing max6 esc and 4895 motor combo.

I drive it with a 4s lipo.
With a 20t/21t pinion.

It has cut out twice this week. Both after about 15 to 20 minutes.

First time around 21.00 in the evening around 22 celsius/72 fahrenheit. Was driving on grass.

Second time around 20.00 around 26 celsius/ 79 fahrenheit. Was driving in the forest, sand and leaves.

This seems to be pretty fast overheating.

Suggestions are welcome.

What are the temperatures of the motor and ESC?

don't have a heatgun yet. I know that at the time it cuts out i cant touch it.

Im driving a Kraton exb with the hobywing max6 esc and 4895 motor combo.

I drive it with a 4s lipo.
With a 20t/21t pinion.

It has cut out twice this week. Both after about 15 to 20 minutes.

First time around 21.00 in the evening around 22 celsius/72 fahrenheit. Was driving on grass.

Second time around 20.00 around 26 celsius/ 79 fahrenheit. Was driving in the forest, sand and leaves.

This seems to be pretty fast overheating.

Suggestions are welcome.
Depends on what you’ve got your ESC programmed to. Are you running motor fan(s)?

Setup is set up by someone els. Seems motorfans and a programming tool is needed 🤔. Might also gear down a few teeth.

Still i cant imagion the motor should run so hot i cant touch it.

What would be a good fan for this motor? Heatsink and fans or just motorfans?

I use a xmaxx heatsink and a 19tooth pinion. It will get to 170 degrees at the end of my second run on 6s. Moving to a 17 tooth as the heat gets to the 90s in the Carolinas.

E76B16B1-CF9D-4A3F-BCB0-EE2D4542A8CD.jpeg

Setup is set up by someone els. Seems motorfans and a programming tool is needed 🤔. Might also gear down a few teeth.

Still i cant imagion the motor should run so hot i cant touch it.

What would be a good fan for this motor? Heatsink and fans or just motorfans?
I’m running Max6 combo in my EXB with 23t and same combo in my K6 with 22t 🤷🏻‍♂️Grass is tough on RC’s!

If any has a suggestion on how to mount a fan to the xMaxx heatsink let me know

Attachments

• BF3A9200-6CD5-428A-9A10-F70CC60E362D.png
    BF3A9200-6CD5-428A-9A10-F70CC60E362D.png
    253.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 3A5F2D2C-027C-4438-9C19-B79BDD2E311A.png
    3A5F2D2C-027C-4438-9C19-B79BDD2E311A.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 51
Ive got this fan set up on my max6 combo in my exb, the mounts are from alza racing and keeps it cool. Im running on a 20t pinion. I did run it through long grass the other day it it did not like it one bit it got hot quick and cut out but on short grass and dirt its fine

IMG_20210424_231914.jpg

if its 'cutting out' as the op says, the esc is getting too hot. Check the esc fan, they are very prone to failure. I doubt the motor is over heating on 4s. I run the same setup on 6s with 21t pinion. Esc will over heat in 10 minutes or so of heavy driving on grass. it should not over heat on 4s so I bet the esc fan is not turning...

ow i haven't checked the esc. Will do that tonight. Im driving on 4s, but since there ja room for 2 4s lipo’s im driving with 2 lipo’s in the battery try. Would that extra weight factor in?

ow i haven't checked the esc. Will do that tonight. Im driving on 4s, but since there ja room for 2 4s lipo’s im driving with 2 lipo’s in the battery try. Would that extra weight factor in?
uh, do you have 2 x 4s batteries connected at the same time or are you just storing an extra battery in the battery tray? If you are running 2 4s batteries in series then you are running that motor at 8s which would explain the heat. It would also be STOOPID fast on 20t pinion.

What MAH are your batteries?

I would not store a spare battery in the tray... more weight means more heat, but also more chance of breaking something.

Nah just storing an extra battery. Ha not running on 8s. Seeing two fitted better then one. One gave alot of extra room. This was a more snug fit. Did not think one more battery would be so much more heat.

Running 5000mah 4s lipo. gensacearespammers basher series.

Fill the extra room tin the battery tray with yoga mat or padded shelf liner.

Checked the fan on the esc. Seems to working fine. Next time i will run with just one lipo in the car and check what that does. And will check esc fan more regularly. Got an 18t pinion that i could use, but reading above that should not have to be necessary.

Ive got this fan set up on my max6 combo in my exb, the mounts are from alza racing and keeps it cool. Im running on a 20t pinion. I did run it through long grass the other day it it did not like it one bit it got hot quick and cut out but on short grass and dirt its fine

View attachment 152309
Are these Thunderoos fans ?
Have the same combo installed and also use on motor and ESC with 27,000rpm and would also like to drive 19er pinion with 4S but in the further course also 6S ;-)!

No I got the fans from aliexpress then got the mounts and cover from alza racing then bought all the connectors and cable shielding off ebay and made them myself. In total with all the parts it cost me about £50 to make both the fans which is a big saving. Ive put the link for the fans and mounts from alza racing below, hope it opens up
https://shop.alza-racing.com/en/

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000314543410.html

I also checked the alza mount. I just don't have any space between the chassis and motor to use a zip-tie….

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back