Kraton Kraton EXB pinion backed off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Just a curious ask...

After about 16 packs my 20T pinion connected to a 1650kv HW motor backed off while bashing. Pinion only has one grub screw and I did use a new pinion with a new grub screw and blue threadlocker.

Am I overthinking it should I just clean it and do the same process with the blue or do I need to look at using red threadlocker?

Thx

The pinion is gonna back off no mater what due to the metals expanding in the pinion from heat but you should be fine considering you’ve gotten 16 packs im lucky to get 3 without it coming off

Thx Brother....what I needed to hear! I will clean the grub really good and go back with the blue LT. I was also told to look at the 243 blue LT so will check that out as well... not sure what blue LT I have.

Just a curious ask...

After about 16 packs my 20T pinion connected to a 1650kv HW motor backed off while bashing. Pinion only has one grub screw and I did use a new pinion with a new grub screw and blue threadlocker.

Am I overthinking it should I just clean it and do the same process with the blue or do I need to look at using red threadlocker?

Thx
Clean the grub AND pinion thoroughly, make sure they are dry, apply blue TL, assemble, allow to cure for a minimum of 24 hours. Bash and see if it holds up.

BTW I love buying pinions with an M4 grub instead of the M3 grubs. You can get more torque on the grub safely.

I don't have a 6s, but on my 3s Granite, the pinion grub screw is one place I feel it's necessary to use red threadlock. As the motor heats up, blue threadlock starts to loosen too quickly.

Also, are you using a Spektrum motor with Arrma safe-D pinion? I've never had a pinion grub screw come loose since switching. Not even sure if I need red threadlock anymore. (But I stopped using the e-clip. I've had two pop off and get shredded in the gears)

Last edited:
I don't have a 6s, but on my 3s Granite, the pinion grub screw is one place I feel it's necessary to use red threadlock. As the motor heats up, blue threadlock starts to loosen too quickly.

Also, are you using a Spektrum motor with Arrma safe-D pinion? I've never had a pinion grub screw come loose since switching. Not even sure if I need red threadlock anymore. (But I stopped using the e-clip. I've had two pop off and get shredded in the gears)
Thx Man....this motor is a HobbyWIng no safe-D

I've heard of folks drilling a small indent into the motor shaft flat to give even more bite for the pinion set screw, especially the round bottom set screws. However, that's more of a permanent thing, and you'd have to run that specific brand (maybe even size) of pinion forever! But that should give you more surface area and help prevent the pinion moving/wiggling and backing the set screw out. I'd just use this as a last resort though ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back