Kraton EXB Steering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jschlosser0405

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Notorious
While waiting for the weather to cooperate, I have been picking away at the new ride. I wanted to get a little tighter steering so I threw some shims behind the wheel bearings and took the bellcrank apart. I wanted to tighten the saver a bit but it is the non-adjustable. I did find however that the 1.9mm spacer for the diffs fits perfectly. I removed the original washer from under the saver spring and replaced it with one of the diff spacers. Anyone have any input good or bad on this? Or is this widely known....as I am new to the forum. Thanks

Ok thanks. I am trying REALLY hard not to mod the hell out of this thing immediately. Just trying to make stock the best it can be, until it breaks. Then it's upgrade time haha. This is my first Arrma build so I want to see for myself what they can do out of the box.

I have a v4 kraton and before i got it i did my research on the knows issues and weak points which led me to having a pile of parts to put on before it ever ran. About the only thing ive broken on it so far was a front bulkhead which resulted from a 30-40ft jump onto concrete. Good luck and have fun.

While waiting for the weather to cooperate, I have been picking away at the new ride. I wanted to get a little tighter steering so I threw some shims behind the wheel bearings and took the bellcrank apart. I wanted to tighten the saver a bit but it is the non-adjustable. I did find however that the 1.9mm spacer for the diffs fits perfectly. I removed the original washer from under the saver spring and replaced it with one of the diff spacers. Anyone have any input good or bad on this? Or is this widely known....as I am new to the forum. Thanks
Do you have a photo? I'm in the same boat... :)

Do you have a photo? I'm in the same boat... :)
Unfortunately I did not think about taking a pic. If you take the front end off and just pick up the bellcrank you will see a black washer between the saver spring and the hex on the bellcrank tube. It is 1mm thick, I replaced it with the 1.9mm diff spacer that comes in the diff shim kit (ARA311094). Tightens up the servo saver just enough for my liking. Puts a little more strain on the servo so make sure you have a good metal geared strong servo. I put in an AGFRC A80BHSW. Its fast and strong and quiet. Hasn't given me any problems.
I have a v4 kraton and before i got it i did my research on the knows issues and weak points which led me to having a pile of parts to put on before it ever ran. About the only thing ive broken on it so far was a front bulkhead which resulted from a 30-40ft jump onto concrete. Good luck and have fun.
I'd say that's a pretty tough hit no matter what your setup haha. Thanks. I am learning a lot for sure. I wish I would have done a build thread but I had it all together before I got on this forum. I will when I do any upgrades though.

Do you guys know if the HR steering bell crank along with the HR servo save tube would be a good fit for the EXB? I'm debating change the bushings for bearings or going the HR route
i changed to the HR stuff because the steering felt mushy to me and you should upgrade to bearings either way, theyre just better than bushings. Im still looking for a replacement for the flanged bushing in the ackerman bar because i just don't like bushings.

i changed to the HR stuff because the steering felt mushy to me and you should upgrade to bearings either way, theyre just better than bushings. Im still looking for a replacement for the flanged bushing in the ackerman bar because i just don't like bushings.
Nice thanks for the info! Do you know the size and quantity of bearings needed to replace all the bushings? I think it's 4 6x10x3mm?

Hot racing makes a servo saver tube with a clamping nut that really makes getting the right feel super easy. Servo saver
The HR servo saver and tube are great upgrades. I’ve changed all my 6s bashers

Cant remember off hand but if you get one of the bearing kits from jims or fasteddy the steering post bearings come with it.

Following your example I did a similar modification: I used a plastic suspension spacer I had in my "old but good to keep" box, I think is a bit more than 2 mm thick. Now my Krauto (the nickname my friends gave to my Kraton) is perfect for me!

My last post showed a vid on adding clips, but he said they was stupid hard to take apart... tried it my way today and was easy.. 13mm spanner underneath pic 1
20210308_184753_01.jpg

13mm socket on top.. push down on the socket/ratchet to compress the spring then turn.. pic 2
20210308_184851.jpg

tadaaa lol.. and as you can see from the threads, no sign of any TL
20210308_184911.jpg

it came apart really easy tbh, the existing washer on there is 12mmx18mmx1mm. I tried a few washer on but noticed it fully compressed spring enough to allow the coils to be touching.. meaning no movement, so removed to allow a little space.

I'm also planning on installing the HR servo saver on my EXB build. I'm considering getting the HR adjustable tube. I've been trying to figure out, how do you know how tight the spring should be? General advice for stock is to add two ring clip spacers to sufficiently tighten the spring, but on the HR tube, how do you set the spring tension appropriately? Just by trying it and adjusting until it doesn't activate unnecessarily when steering anymore?

I decided to upgrade the stock servo saver and tube after watching a video from AJJAM Studios suggesting this upgrade (link below) to prevent the stock plastic servo saver from being easily obliterated from sideswipe collisions to the wheels. They also say you should file the burrs off of upgraded aluminum servo savers, followed by polishing with extremely fine sandpaper, or the servo saver may bind, breaking your servo. They also say to apply silicone grease to the surfaces. However, upon inspecting the HR servo saver, it already seems to me that the surfaces are silky smooth already, with what appears to be a deliberately smoothed finish, and I see no sign of any burrs. So I don't think this step is needed, although I will add some grease as it can't hurt.

Here's the link; the servo saver is discussed at 25:10. It's a long video with mostly good advice, and being a newb it helped me figure a few things out. But I found out the T-Bone Racing Wheelie bar they recommend is alledgedly not good as there are reports of it stripping out your rear gearbox when you land on it. Seems T-Bone Racing doesn't even make this anymore either.

I wouldn't skip the polishing step on the HR saver. I thought the same thing when I got it and even though it appeared very smooth I destroyed 2 servo horns after installing the aluminum saver. Stripped the gears out on both of them in back to back outings. I pulled it apart and polished the saver and haven't had an issue with it since.

Wow, good to know, thanks! I’ll go to town on it with some extra fine sandpaper. I didn’t think it could actually get any smoother than it is already, but from your account I guess that’s not the case.

That'll work! I usually push mine up and clamp the top nut in a vice while using a wrench on the bottom nut and haven't had any troubles doing it that way either.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back