Kraton Kraton EXB strange noise?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4inbrain

Reaction score
Hey,

my Kraton EXB developed a somewhat weird noise that i've not heard before, and i'm not entirely sure what to do about it. It's really hard to explain, and to capture on video.

I did try, but let me try to explain first what the sound actually is. It's a.. whiny whizzing sound, it does sound a little bit like the jetsons car, whenever the truck takes a left. In the video, it can be heard after the 20 second mark on basically every deceleration (that's when i'm turning the truck). I've showed this to a buddy, he told me he can't hear anything, so.. mileage on that one may vary. It usually doesn't appear when going straight, and never appears giving the slightest right hand input. I honestly think it did it from the get go (i had it apart for a long time due to covid restrictions in my area, only ran it twice and haven't really bashed it yet). Anyway, here's the video, lets see if someone else can hear it.

As mentioned, after the 20 second mark, the sound can be heard at every deceleration, and the best i can describe it as is "whiny whizzing jetsons car". Doesn't really come close either, but i wouldn't know how to put it otherwise.

If it makes you feel better, I can hear it :ROFLMAO:
No idea what it is though.
If it's on turning, could be a diff just barely filled but I'd say that would happen in either direction (left/right). If it's always on deceleration my guess would be center diff not being filled right.

I'm shooting in the dark here, could be neither. Maybe others can chime in, this is the only thing that comes to mind on shifting loads.

It does make me feel a little better, at least i'm not imagining it.

I do think it does it under throttle too, it's just that i can't hear it then because everything else is so loud. But it definitely stops when giving right hand steering input.

It's somewhat process of elimination, the sound changes i.e. something is rotating that does it. Higher pitch is smaller things i.e. only thing that would match that is a diff unless I'm completely wrong :ROFLMAO:

Yeah i was thinking something similar, but i don't know what i'm looking for - it doesn't sound like missing teeth etc. Doesn't in fact sound like anything i've had before.

I'll pull the diffs, fingers crossed something obvious catches my eye, otherwise i'm fairly lost to be honest.

Well.. Had the front diff out now, nothing wrong with it. Centre diff was out yesterday, so that's okay too - gonna pull the rear tomorrow, fingers crossed that it's broken, because if it is not, i have absolutely zero idea where to look next.

Did you ever find out what it was? My exb is making the same noise, is it maybe the LSD effect?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back