Kraton EXB with max6 and TP 2300kv motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagsy

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I’m new to the world of Arrma 6s so please be gentle! 😂

I’ve just bought a used Kraton EXB rtr which was reasonably priced; it has a max6 esc and TP 2300kv motor fitted (picture attached).

Didn’t know much about the max6 but thought that sounded like a sensible combo. However, just looking at the max6 specs and looks like the biggest KV motor you can use on 6s is 1500kv. Am I going to have issues with that combo?

it currently has a 22t pinion fitted (also comes with 12t) and I plan to run it on 4s initially if that helps answer the question!

TIA!

3FDBB002-BA15-4EE4-9DA4-222410592187.png

You've got your thinking flipped. Lower KV is a bigger motor. You should be fine.
Thanks for the reply. I’m pretty confused then, sorry!

The website states this for Max6:

6S:KV≤1500 8S:KV≤1200
(Motor Size:5892)

So does that mean I can use anything with higher KV than 1500kv on 6s? So 2300kv will be fine?

I thought it meant that I had to use a lower KV than 1500kv, like 1400kv? Although that is for a 5892 motor granted, which I’m not using.

cheers for the help.

You can use any KV motor running a MAX6 as long as you stay within specs of either the ESC or motor..

Running a fully charged 6s on a 2300KV motor is 57,960 RPM. If that motor is rated for that RPM (which it is) you are fine. You also have to consider drag and if that motor would even hit 57,960 RPM under load. I believe that particular motor is good for 8s so you are fine.

You can use any KV motor running a MAX6 as long as you stay within specs of either the ESC or motor..

Running a fully charged 6s on a 2300KV motor is 57,960 RPM. If that motor is rated for that RPM (which it is) you are fine. You also have to consider drag and if that motor would even hit 57,960 RPM under load. I believe that particular motor is good for 8s so you are fine.
Awesome answer, thanks for that 👍🏽 I’ve spent hours trying to work out if that combo will fine and you’ve put my mind at rest.

Much appreciated!

The problem with the HW ESCs is the amp limiting ceiling is somewhat low compared to Castle ESCs. You will just have to test it at this point and watch temps. I would start with very mild gearing, probably around 12T-14T and see how it handles it. That 22T is gonna run hot. Check temps every 5mins or so. Once you get a feel for how it runs you can be more liberal with the temp checks. That TP motor might run a little hot so you might also consider a heatsink and fan. Also check and see if it has a sealed or vented end cap.

The problem with the HW ESCs is the amp limiting ceiling is somewhat low compared to Castle ESCs. You will just have to test it at this point and watch temps. I would start with very mild gearing, probably around 12T-14T and see how it handles it. That 22T is gonna run hot. Check temps every 5mins or so. Once you get a feel for how it runs you can be more liberal with the temp checks. That TP motor might run a little hot so you might also consider a heatsink and fan. Also check and see if it has a sealed or vented end cap.
Good advice, thanks. It’s not arriving until Tuesday so I’ll check the end cap then. I’ll also order a 40mm heat sink just to help dissipate a bit of heat as that can only make things better.

the max6 has max continuous current of 160a so hoping that should be enough… 😬

I did think that a 22t pinion might be a bit on the high side. The guy I am getting it off said he’d try and include some spare smaller pinions if he could find some. He said he’d run a few packs though it with the 22t in and not had any issues with temps but that would obviously depend on a lot of variables like how he drove it.

I guess the best thing to do is just invest in a temp gun and keep checking it!

thanks again for the reply 👍🏽

Just checking, is it the motor or the esc that is likely to get hot? Or both?

I've just ordered a temp gun so will keep an eye on both but need to google the optimum operating temperatures a motor and esc.

Thanks

Why do many motors come open in the back if it's a dirt vulnerability? Does it help with heat?
Yes a vented cap is for speed runs so we can cool off faster.
Just checking, is it the motor or the esc that is likely to get hot? Or both?

I've just ordered a temp gun so will keep an eye on both but need to google the optimum operating temperatures a motor and esc.

Thanks
The ESC will have temp protection built in and will shut off before it gets too hot, but the motor will burn to the ground. You need to keep an eye on motor temps.

Yes a vented cap is for speed runs so we can cool off faster.

The ESC will have temp protection built in and will shut off before it gets too hot, but the motor will burn to the ground. You need to keep an eye on motor temps.
Great, thanks. Will check it every few mins on the first runs to see how the motor gets on.

is there a generic maximum temperature any motor should operate at or are they all different dependant on size, conditions etc?

Great, thanks. Will check it every few mins on the first runs to see how the motor gets on.

is there a generic maximum temperature any motor should operate at or are they all different dependant on size, conditions etc?
Below 130-140 is ideal when you get up around 180°+ the motor starts to deteriorate magnets come undone etc.

I usually cut off around 170F but 180F is the range where motors burn up. Don’t ask how I know.

I've got the same "Kevin Talbot" combo in my EXB:-

Pro's
  • Motor is crazy powerful on normal Max6 punch level and feel no need to adjust punch level i.e. super responsive and plenty of go
Con's
  • It's really a speed run motor and not meant for bashing
  • I have a 14T and it runs hots...even with fans
  • Recommend to run it for 10-15 mins and let it rest
  • Max6 ESC fan will only last a few runs if you do any jumping
  • When the Max6 fan goes remove the fan unit and replace with something else - or have a good stock of replacement fans
Running it first on 4s is a good idea...you've bought a real beast...
BTW - good idea with the temp gun - heat really is your enemy with this combo - the ESC runs hot on 6s as well as the motor...

See how you find the 22T combo - I suspect this is way over geared...

Last edited:
I've got the same "Kevin Talbot" combo in my EXB:-

Pro's
  • Motor is crazy powerful on normal Max6 punch level and feel no need to adjust punch level i.e. super responsive and plenty of go
Con's
  • It's really a speed run motor and not meant for bashing
  • I have a 14T and it runs hots...even with fans
  • Recommend to run it for 10-15 mins and let it rest
  • Max6 ESC fan will only last a few runs if you do any jumping
  • When the Max6 fan goes remove the fan unit and replace with something else - or have a good stock of replacement fans
Running it first on 4s is a good idea...you've bought a real beast...
BTW - good idea with the temp gun - heat really is your enemy with this combo - the ESC runs hot on 6s as well as the motor...

See how you find the 22T combo - I suspect this is way over geared...
I didn’t realise that KT had used that setup when I bought it!

thanks for the advice. Haven’t had a proper blast with it yet but gave it a quick spin round the garden on 4s/22t pinion and it was plenty fast enough! The motor I have is the TP4050CM so could theoretically take 8s but that would be WAY too much power for me!

I did speak to TP Power just to see what they thought about running the motor in an off road rig. They said on 6s it’ll be fine.

I have bought a temp gun to keep an eye on the temps. Will probably step down from 22t pinion but not sure what I’ll end up on. I do have a 12t I could try to see if that keeps the temps lower but will just be some trial and error I suspect.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back